Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What modern games will be collectible in the future?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

At first I wanted to collect a complete sega saturn collection. Once I started seeing the sports games pile up and looking at my listof games I still need, there are only about 5-10 games out of maybe 60 left in the library that I care to own. I'd say I am in the collector group that wants to only buy games that intrigue me and are at a good price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I wouldn't put any money on Labo becoming collectible mostly because I see hordes of them still being sealed in the next 15 to 20 years and no one wanting to buy them because there's no nostalgia for something no one used
    Labo actually has the potential to become even more collectible than most of its contemporaries. Yes, its a dud, but A) its a dud by Nintendo; even their failures tend to become sought after and even celebrated. B) its an actual, physical object. This is kind of thing that can collect dust at a pawn shop or Goodwill until some "Nostalgia Gamer" talking head discovers it and the internet lemmings run out and invert the supply/demand relationship 10 years from now.

Of the other modern stuff floating out there. I think that 'mini' consoles will have something of a collector status, with CIB unhacked versions being at the top of the heap. Regular modern consoles themselves will have something also, with the added wrinkle of being fragile and increasingly harder to repair as time goes on.

As for the games themselves, anything that comes with feelies will have something of a premium. Not 'collector/legendary/GOTY' versions, I mean stuff that comes with soundtrack CDs, busts, things of that nature. How desirable a regular copy will be probably be dependent on how easy it is to play it. We might see something like consoles being sold with desirable games with all the files and patches in the hard drive, "ready to play" as collector's items.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    What happened to the collectors who focussed on collecting their favourite games to play on various consoles? Normal people you'd actually want to talk to?
    Unfortunately everyone wants to be cool and hip. In most of the collectors I’ve encounter like to keep their game sealed and never play them. It is sad this is what collector has become. Everyone wants to own rare title and hope to cash it at later date.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

has any one said Wii U stuff yet, i could see some of that becoming sought after considering it wasnt a bad console.

Also Digimon Story games seem to be kind of flying under the radar, i could see them being like .Hack for PS2

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    People who buy any random games on any random systems just based on what looks appealing to them generally don't regard themselves as collectors. They're just regular gamers. Collectors have some sort of framework behind what they're looking to buy beyond "stuff I like to play".

There's nothing wrong with people who collect full sets, rare games, hardware variants, etc. Those are the kinds of people that this forum was made by and for.
    This forum was made because it's based on their store front for people who buy and sell games, collectors and gamers alike.

But just because people like to enjoy the titles that they collect means they're not collectors? I want to collect anything and everything that's looks like it could be a fairly good game. Yes, it has to be something that interests me, but you don't get to have over 200 "retail" PS4 games by not being interested in collecting. What's the point in spending more money for a retail than just purchasing it for a few dollars if you were "just a gamer."
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Uhhhhh this site was created LONG before the Digital Press store ever existed.

Your poor reading comprehension strikes again. I never said collectors can't enjoy what they collect, nor did I ever say I would dictate who can and can't identify as a collector. If somebody owns five games and still wants to identify as a collector, that's no skin off my nose. My point is that collectors usually try to get as many games as they can get. If something is real cheap, they'll give it a shot, whether it's something they've heard of or not, or even if it's something that doesn't seem super appealing to them. They'll buy just about any game in their favorite genres, they'll collect merch for their favorite games, they'll go after full sets for their favorite systems, etc. etc. These are the kinds of things collectors do, and those are the sorts of people this site has always catered to. Anybody who has a problem with people who participate in the hobby in that sort of way is frankly at the wrong place. There are plenty of places online where people collect and play more "casually", by just looking for games they want to play, playing through them, and then finding the next game they want to play, no different than gamers who don't identify as collectors.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 02-12-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you have one person that has 721 SNES games and only that, he's a full set collector. But if you have someone who has over 200 SNES games, over 200 NES games, over 200 Genesis games, over 200 PS1 games, over 200 PS2 games, over 1000 games, that person's not a collector if s/he only purchases the games that s/he enjoys. Who's the elitist?

Some people just don't like wasting money on shit games. I personally want a collection of games that I can pick up and play literally any of them and enjoy them. There are some that I keep that I don't really like much or at all, but I still own them for various reasons(example is Valkyrie Profile or Vagrant Story) while there are others that I don't want in my library and sell them. With as many good games that are out there, I dont have the time or the funds to collect every pos as well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Unfortunately everyone wants to be cool and hip. In most of the collectors I’ve encounter like to keep their game sealed and never play them. It is sad this is what collector has become. Everyone wants to own rare title and hope to cash it at later date.
    It's kind of a shame really. I remember back when people created threads asking about "What are good games for <insert console>?" or "What are good <insert genre> type games?". People also bought up cheap games for a few bucks and tried them out, finding decent games that would otherwise be overlooked and ignored. Only some collectors went for complete console collections and people sold and traded stuff for cheap between collectors. Now everything is about finding rare/valuable games just to flip for a profit. Or making it seem like every random generic game has an extreme amount of historical significance.

Of course I also kept an eye out for rare games if by chance I'd come across them for cheap, rare stuff is interesting for various reasons. But I didn't keep every rare game I found if they were really terrible to play. I mostly just kept games worth playing, with a few exceptions. Way back I focussed more on the rarity ratings using the guide here than the dollar amount of the games. It was cooler to find an R6 or R7 for $5 than a game worth $60 or $100 for $5, now the focus is almost exclusively just on monetary value.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If you have one person that has 721 SNES games and only that, he's a full set collector. But if you have someone who has over 200 SNES games, over 200 NES games, over 200 Genesis games, over 200 PS1 games, over 200 PS2 games, over 1000 games, that person's not a collector if s/he only purchases the games that s/he enjoys. Who's the elitist?

Some people just don't like wasting money on shit games. I personally want a collection of games that I can pick up and play literally any of them and enjoy them. There are some that I keep that I don't really like much or at all, but I still own them for various reasons(example is Valkyrie Profile or Vagrant Story) while there are others that I don't want in my library and sell them. With as many good games that are out there, I dont have the time or the funds to collect every pos as well.
    See, this is how I collect. I became a collector in the first place because I was raised in a situation where I didn't rent games. I received them as presents and kept them, just replaying the same ones many times and becoming better at them. By the end of high school I had over 300. So I have a lot of favorites. I also like to try new experiences on old or new systems and add games to the list of those I desire. I'm in my early 30s now and I don't even know the rough number of games I've become attached to anymore.

I used to collect video games more heavily but I got tired of storing things I didn't appreciate and wanted more variety in my life. With only so much room and multiple collecting interests besides video games, I have to give and take with my other hobbies. Video games are my #1 but I'd rather have room for my audio/video tape transferring equipment, my bass guitars, rare local cds, and other odds and ends I think are cool instead of one or two additional video game shelves that are just going to hold genres I don't like or games with terrible play control.

I've become a more casual collector in the sense that I buy what I like to play, but I do spend good money on trying to get decent condition CIB copies of ultimate favorites and have at least one version of most of the US released game systems as well as multiple versions of certain ones. I will also hang onto variations of games I already have if I find them, but I also don't rush to ebay to buy every single one individually. I'd rather have the next game I want than another copy of the same thing that just looks different. I will also rebuy the same games on different consoles and use them as an excuse to play the game again.

I will also grab cheap game consoles at thrift stores, make sure they work and resell them with extra games I found so I can get more money to buy games and systems I will never find there. If I buy 5 PlayStation 2 sets for $20 or so over time and sell them for $50 each on facebook marketplace, I can get all my money back and go buy another Neo Geo MVS game.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If anybody in this topic had said anything remotely like that, then, sure, go ahead and call them an elitist.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If anybody in this topic had said anything remotely like that, then, sure, go ahead and call them an elitist.
    Well that's pretty much what you said. People who just focus on buying and owning games they like playing aren't collectors, they're just regular gamers. You're not a collector unless you buy stuff beyond "stuff I like to play".

People who buy any random games on any random systems just based on what looks appealing to them generally don't regard themselves as collectors. They're just regular gamers. Collectors have some sort of framework behind what they're looking to buy beyond "stuff I like to play".

There's nothing wrong with people who collect full sets, rare games, hardware variants, etc. Those are the kinds of people that this forum was made by and for.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

People who buy any random games on any random systems just based on what looks appealing to them generally don't regard themselves as collectors.
    I never said collectors can't enjoy what they collect, nor did I ever say I would dictate who can and can't identify as a collector. If somebody owns five games and still wants to identify as a collector, that's no skin off my nose.
    You guys can keep pushing your false narrative if you want to conjure up something to be offended about, but the facts are as they stand. I don't care who does or doesn't regard themselves as collectors, nor am I looking down on anyone here. This hobby should be welcoming to all, and generally speaking, there are enough copies of games for everybody, regardless of what they choose to do with them. Yet this topic is loaded with posts looking down on the very sorts of collectors who this forum was created by and for. So really, who's being the elitist here?