Thread: More Multi-Cart Madness... 196 Sega Genesis Games!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default More Multi-Cart Madness... 196 Sega Genesis Games!

So thanks to a visit from a magical bird, I somehow ended up with another one of those multi-game cartridges which are coming out of the woodwork now.

Awhile back I talked about some others I had: an RPG four-pack for SNES, and two NES carts (one for Mega Man games and the other for Dragon Warrior).

This one for Sega Genesis is wild compared to those, as its just 196 Sega Genesis games.

This cart has three different titles: Top of the label calls it "16-Bit the Best 196-in-1," the front of the label calls it "Best of 80s and 90s," and the on-screen menu calls it "Super 196-in-1." At the moment I'm incapable of taking pics, but this guy's video shows the same cartridge

And since you're wondering, here is a list of all the included games, in the order they appear on the in-game menu

Only three of them are "repeats," and I'm not sure if they would fit everyone's definition of such... see, the cart has Decap Attack, Mean Bean Machine, and Mega Man the Wily Wars... as well as their original Japanese versions (Magical Hat Daibouken, Puyo Puyo, and Rockman Megaworld). Considering how different two of those are in the west, I'm not sure if this really counts as repeating.

For the rest of the games, usually whoever put this together preferred English versions, tho there's two times (Bare Knuckle III and Contra Hard Corps) where they preferred the Japanese version... which indicates to me that it wasn't just a random list, someone actually thought about this (Streets of Rage 3 was apparently botched in English localization).

As far as I can tell, any game in English here was an official release, not a fan translation. I say "as far as I can tell" because two of the games--Golden Axe III and Chiki Chiki Boys--are in English even though I thought both were Japan-only released (or in the latter case, the game is using the Japanese title yet all the text I saw was in English anyway). Any game that was only officially released in Japan will use the Japanese text... so if you want an english translation of Monster World IV, look somewhere else.

There is one other caveat, and its a BIG one:

There is no save battery.

In all fairness, the magical birdie I got this from warned me that this would be the case--there was no lies or misdirection on their part, so I went in knowing full well that the RPGs would be basically unbeatable and I would not be seeing Wily Tower. However, anyone else who looks at the list of included games and is interested should go in knowing this. If you're buying this for Crusader of Centy, look elsewhere.

In my case, my interest was actually on Mega Turrican and the Splatterhouse games, everything else was a bonus. I'm also sure you can mod the cart somehow to add a battery but I wasn't able to get the cart open (there's two obvious screws on the back, but the thing was still tightly closed after they were removed so I suspect another screw hides under the label), but even if I'm not just an idiot, its probably still easier to just get a different cart for the games that need saving. Or become a master speedrunner.

Once again, list of all included games

Okay, I wasn't gonna post about the individual games, but since its the very first listed I figured why not, cuz something bugs me:

001. After Burner 2

Okay... on this version, your plane's main gun is always firing, and the controller buttons are used for speeding up or slowing down (After Burner has a speed throttle?) and the last is for firing missiles when you lock on. The only other versions of After Burner I've played have been in the arcade and on NES, and they didn't play this way at all. Like... was the Genesis AB2 always like this, or is this cart using some weird hack?

Comments on other games later on, if I feel like it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So thanks to a visit from a magical bird, I somehow ended up with another one of those multi-game cartridges which are coming out of the woodwork now.
    Is the magical bird chinese? Because they have this 196-in-1 for US$ 13...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018...854555919.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

My particular magical bird was located in America but I assume they got it from a Chinese source. That looks like the same cart all right.

So, is it actually possible to mod the internals to restore save functionality to the games which were supposed to have it?

(Also is anybody gonna answer my question about After Burner 2?)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    001. After Burner 2

Okay... on this version, your plane's main gun is always firing, and the controller buttons are used for speeding up or slowing down (After Burner has a speed throttle?) and the last is for firing missiles when you lock on. The only other versions of After Burner I've played have been in the arcade and on NES, and they didn't play this way at all. Like... was the Genesis AB2 always like this, or is this cart using some weird hack?
    100% normal. You can change it in the options menu by choosing "Trigger Type4".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Thanks. I'm comforted to know its not just a weird hack actually (and how to get normal controls). Weird Sega would make that change.

So here's another oddity, this time involving the game

096. Mega Lo Mania

I didn't play far, because this seems like a game where you really need to study the manual (actually I didn't even understand what kind of game it was, but it seemed like a Populous clone), but the interesting thing was right at the beginning...

... This game starts with a Cracktro.

A Cracktro. On a cartridge game.

I mean, Cracktros are all over the place if you've ever been into Commodore 64 or Amiga (or probably any PC platform) emulation, but there I understand why they exist. But why would a Genesis game need to be cracked? And since Cracktros are entirely an 80s-90s thing, how would they have even distributed their crack back then? Its not like people could manufacture carts out of their garage like they apparently can nowadays, back when the technology was still new and expensive.

Quick google search indicates its actually not the only game to get one on the Genesis.

The cracktro credits a group called Censor, BTW.

Need to hit up a manual for Mega Lo Mania now...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Garbage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah I kinda figured the resident anti-piracy crusader would have nothing meaningful to say.

By the way, is anyone else having problems with Google Drive? Cuz I'm wondering if I should just copy-paste the list of games into this topic cuz sometimes Drive causes my firefox browser to hang. I kinda only wanted to name the games I had something to say about, but...

Okay, opinions:

Should I make a post that's just a list of included titles, or is the Google Docs link in the OP okay? Or is there an alternative?

EDIT

So, more game commentary:

048. El Viento

So I've owned a legit cart of this for years and yet... I never noticed this:

The villain of the game is Hastur.

So I'm like.... Hastur as in the Cthulhu Mythos Hastur? Okay, now I'm interested in this game. The whole "one life" thing kinda sucks tho.

(Come to think of it, Splatterhouse 2 and 3 would also easily fit into the Cthulhu Mythos if anyone cared to try it)

106. Mr. Osomatsu

So this one confused me. I guessed immediately this was based on some anime probably from the 1980s, like.... it was one I had never heard of.

Here's the irony.... this anime (its proper name is Osomatsu-Kun) is kind of a pop icon in Japan and Discotek actually released it in English earlier this year. Part of me wonders if that's why it was on this cart (I doubt it though). The art style reminded me of Shin-chan but also some of Go Nagai's less serious works. I didn't play very much.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 12-11-2018 at 03:24 AM.