Thread: Dreamcast, The future is Now! : Blue Stinger 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Dreamcast, The future is Now! : Blue Stinger 2018

For those that never knew or don't remember Blue Stinger was a launch title for the US 9/9/99.

The story started with a mention of the past (year 2000) with present day being 2018.

The story takes place through December with story events around Christmas eve 2018.

For years I have been playing this game through during December/Christmas time and encourage anybody who has the game but never played through it to do so. The replay value has kept it interesting with weapon and other rewards upon completing the game a number of times, under certain total time (Swimmer mode, Mad Mode, combinations of modes, and even big lip big eye mode that I didn't know about until a couple years ago..), and finally even the localized versions (German, French JP, US etc. have differences.

Christmas isn't the same without hearing that Holiday jingle music and seeing Santa shoot mutants!

Takes less than 4 hours game time to beat if you are familiar with the game and have weapons from a prior, or take your time unlock, find, cash in everything and have fun enjoying all the cheesy lines!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SegaGT For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-17-2018)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Loved this game as a kid. It reminded me a lot of some of the anime I was watching at the time as well as.Resident Evil

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

SegaGT (12-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Loved this game as a kid. It reminded me a lot of some of the anime I was watching at the time as well as.Resident Evil
    Yes, it brings back a lot of memories for me too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've had the game for years, never actually played it. It looked to me like a survival horror-type game, which I never cared for, and I bought it right after buying Phantasy Star Online, which I played the living hell out of. I can't imagine how many hours I put into the Dreamcast version of PSO, it dominated the console until I bought a GameCube specifically so I could play the upgraded version of PSO. Late purchased Dreamcast games just didn't get played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've had the game for years, never actually played it. It looked to me like a survival horror-type game, which I never cared for, and I bought it right after buying Phantasy Star Online, which I played the living hell out of. I can't imagine how many hours I put into the Dreamcast version of PSO, it dominated the console until I bought a GameCube specifically so I could play the upgraded version of PSO. Late purchased Dreamcast games just didn't get played.

The only reason I purchased Blue Stinger was because on launch day when I got the System, they did not have any Sonic Adventure left (went to the pre order people, and I had only pre ordered the console).

I was never huge on Survival Horror, had RE but didn't finish, Deep Fear on Saturn was great but my lack of JP skills was my excuse for not finishing...

What got me hooked on Blue Stinger was the zany "B" movie cheesy lines, then the cinematic sound track grew on me, and finally was hooked as the game feels like you are living through a movie which if you read up on the creator and how he grew up in Japan etc. it all makes sense.

When Illbleed came out I was ready for Blue Stinger 2, and it was a disappointment that I didn't play for years, but then gave it a second chance and love it too in its own way. Again, the creators history makes it make sense and the fact that he died the way he did just adds.

To not make this too long and bring it back to the "Christmas theme" I absolutely loved PSO, ended up having 4 PSO and 4 PSO V2 characters. Many hours on that game myself, and I kept screen shots of all the Holidays including Christmas with all the Christmas Trees and decorations everywhere!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaGT View Post

To not make this too long and bring it back to the "Christmas theme" I absolutely loved PSO, ended up having 4 PSO and 4 PSO V2 characters. Many hours on that game myself, and I kept screen shots of all the Holidays including Christmas with all the Christmas Trees and decorations everywhere!
    That would be cool to see. I used to have screenshots of Ascheron's Call to record certain moments during my short time on that service. I wish I kept those as they got lost between computer upgrades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    That would be cool to see. I used to have screenshots of Ascheron's Call to record certain moments during my short time on that service. I wish I kept those as they got lost between computer upgrades.
    I know what you mean, I have a ton of that stuff on my prior PCs that are not hooked up any more, have cloned hard drives in case one crashes but still have to dig them up and sort through...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSOtrees.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	10597