Thread: Selling off my collection (and feeling sick to my stomach)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Selling off my collection (and feeling sick to my stomach)

About to begin "THE PURGE." No, not the movie, but my video game collection.

This is only 3 of about maybe 7 boxes to sell. I will keep a few boxes worth of stuff I wouldn't/couldn't sell in bulk, and stuff I really just want to keep. This goes back to the Dreamcast days and beyond!

Thing is, I have two kids now and another on the way. What was once my office/gaming cave will now become a nursery for about a year or more, and stuff that has been sitting unplayed and untouched really has to go. I am taking the easy way out and going to a used game/music/dvd chain. I don't even know how to begin shopping around, as it will take hours for any shop to go through my stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. Who else been down this road?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

Ouch, hard choice, but boy, congrats on the family changes!

Would love to look through those boxes.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I thought about doing this before and getting rid of most my possessions but I knew I would regret it. I'll probably collect til I did.

I can't imagine doing it any way besides taking everything to a local game shop. They're gonna give you at least something for it and it would all disappear instantly.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Uncharted Waters for nes, thats a nice one... id keep that and sell the rest

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I can't imagine doing it any way besides taking everything to a local game shop. They're gonna give you at least something for it and it would all disappear instantly.
    .. youd get way more online. Stores wont give u much at all for that stuff
    Last edited by bb_hood; 12-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, trust me though - I still have boxes of keepers NES, SNES, Gamecube, Switch, Dreamcast, ect... it will remain. My rule is, if I see myself wanting to dig into a game in the future, I'm keeping it. If it has the word "Zelda" in the title, I'm keeping it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've been going through that for a while since I divorced and then remarried to a lovely woman that has 10 children (12 including my daughter from my first marriage and then a son of our own). I held onto my collection in case the kids were interested but began purging as they really don't want to play stuff. On top of that, I didn't play my collection much, even in my "old" life.

If you can, I'd advise selling online if you want cash. Stores don't give much except if you trade for credit.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Craigslist it if you can, local classifieds in bulk would get you more cash than a game store. I've felt that game stores giving 1/3 of value in cash would still be fair as they need to make money to cover operating costs, but few stores even offered me that much so I've mostly sold games off myself for full value when I didn't want them anymore. Getting $5 for a game worth $30 used that you could easily sell yourself for $15 without even trying hard wasn't worth selling to a store, as they would still pass on the cheaper commons and just pick and choose the better titles. Even still I would usually hold out for the full value over a few weeks or months as I wasn't in a rush.

Maybe a flea market vendor would offer you a bit higher than a store if there's any close to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    About to begin "THE PURGE." No, not the movie, but my video game collection.

This is only 3 of about maybe 7 boxes to sell. I will keep a few boxes worth of stuff I wouldn't/couldn't sell in bulk, and stuff I really just want to keep. This goes back to the Dreamcast days and beyond!

Thing is, I have two kids now and another on the way. What was once my office/gaming cave will now become a nursery for about a year or more, and stuff that has been sitting unplayed and untouched really has to go. I am taking the easy way out and going to a used game/music/dvd chain. I don't even know how to begin shopping around, as it will take hours for any shop to go through my stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. Who else been down this road?
    Bro, I feel your loss; been there a few times and selling off my collection hasn't been that bad ... the bad thing was that I had to sell the entire collection and many very rare games I knew I wouldn't be able to recover even if I had the money.

What I did, was to play games from the previous generation of the actual one at the time, games were usually very cheap and forced me to try new game experiences because I have always preferred classic games.

Good luck on the present and congrats for the newborn
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Bro, I feel your loss; been there a few times and selling off my collection hasn't been that bad ... the bad thing was that I had to sell the entire collection and many very rare games I knew I wouldn't be able to recover even if I had the money.

What I did, was to play games from the previous generation of the actual one at the time, games were usually very cheap and forced me to try new game experiences because I have always preferred classic games.

Good luck on the present and congrats for the newborn
    Thanks a lot. That sucks you had to sell your gems. I'm not doing that quite yet, mostly the commons. And thanks to bb_hood for pointing out that Uncharted Waters - I didn't mean to put that in the box - and now I'm shocked to see how much it's risen.

I dunno, I'm thinking I should just take these to my mom's house and sell them online slowly - even if it takes years.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cambot For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (12-18-2018)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

I could store them for ya!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    Thanks a lot. That sucks you had to sell your gems. I'm not doing that quite yet, mostly the commons. And thanks to bb_hood for pointing out that Uncharted Waters - I didn't mean to put that in the box - and now I'm shocked to see how much it's risen.

I dunno, I'm thinking I should just take these to my mom's house and sell them online slowly - even if it takes years.
    Open an Amazon store, and list all of whatever you want to sell and just let it sit there. Amazon does charge slighty more fees but games often sell for more on Amazon.
    Amazon is great for selling commons, the listings dont end like they do on ebay.

Also listing stuff on Amazon is alot easier and quicker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Open an Amazon store, and list all of whatever you want to sell and just let it sit there. Amazon does charge slighty more fees but games often sell for more on Amazon.
    Amazon is great for selling commons, the listings dont end like they do on ebay.

Also listing stuff on Amazon is alot easier and quicker.
    Thanks for the advice, I've never sold on Amazon.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Last edited by gbpxl; 01-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Not for the same reason but I've had times where my work unexpectedly stopped and I've had to sell stuff just to make rent. I've been rebuying stuff gradually and also buying stuff I never had. Hopefully now that I am married I won't have to purge in the same way again. We don't plan on having kids. It doesn't mean I don't sometimes I pick up extra copies of stuff I might just sell or trade later. I usually sell locally on facebook these days but had done a lot of ebay.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

If you put any online for sale, drop a link here. I'm sure some of us would help the cause.