Thread: TurboGrafx-16 and/or Keith Courage alternatives?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

Default TurboGrafx-16 and/or Keith Courage alternatives?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there were any options for TurboGrafx-16 enjoyment? I'd love to get my wife Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, it's one of her childhood memories. But don't have >$100 to spend to grab a TurboGrafx-16.

I know I could emulate, may do that, but trying to stick with actual cards/carts, or legal/legit downloads.

Was this ever released on other systems?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Unfortunately, it's TG-16 exclusive. I don't believe it was ever on Wii Virtual Console or anything like that.

Generally speaking, going with Japanese versions will save you money with the TG-16/PC Engine. But if you'd have to buy the system too, you could still be looking at spending $100+ on a PC Engine. On top of that, the PCE version of Keith Courage was a licensed anime game. They didn't really change the game for the US, but your wife may not like that the characters, story, and packaging aren't what she remembers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The game itself, however, is relatively cheap and somewhat common as far as TG-16 games go. Any time I ever see games for the system at local game stores its usually among the games they have... often it's the only game they have... and it's generally $5 to $10

There were other games based on the same anime released in Japan but that probably won't do you any good. Different system, different language, different gameplay, etc...
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Aussie2b is right-it never showed up on the Nintendo Virtual Console. We got Rondo of Blood on VC but not the system's launch title.

Unless you get real lucky, at this point it would be a premium price to play that game. If you want to keep to "the spirit of legality" regarding Roms, you could buy the game card then hack a NES or SNES Classic to download the emulator and then just download KCiAZ itself. The TG-16 emulation is on those machines!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Wasn't there an official emulator for iOS several years ago where you could download games as an iap? Is that app still available? Is/was Keith Courage available for it?

Or you could just wait until they inevitably release the Turbo Graphics Classic.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I just decided to fire up Keith Courage in an emulator and give it a go, since I haven't played it since I bought my Turbo back in the day. It's not as terrible as I remember. I thought it was fairly boring back then, but of course I didn't know at the time it was a licensed anime game that had a graphics facelift for the US market. Honestly, I cannot fathom why they chose it as a pack-in. Legendary Axe would have been much better. I guess they wanted something more distinctive to act as a mascot, but Keith Courage definitely wasn't it.

It's a shame that there's no TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine USB controller made for emulation. Most major systems have gotten the USB nostalgia joypad treatment. I'm using a Famicom-style Japanese controller for two-button games, but I'd love to have a PC Engine one, especially if it was modeled after one of those great 6-button third-party controllers.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

$100?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keith-Coura...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0

are we taking a system into consideration with this price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

If spending that money doesn't hurt your life, you can always make the effort to purchase a TG16 with Keith Courage ... I had the luck to find a TG16 CIB with a few games locally for like MX$4,000 (USD 200) ...

Sold the extra games and kept the system with Keith Courage and a few more games. Can't believe the system looks this good today, unfortunately I need to RGB mod it or purchase the TurboBooster because RF adaptor doesn't make the system justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    $100?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keith-Coura...S!-1:rk:1:pf:0

are we taking a system into consideration with this price?
    $100 to spend to grab a TurboGrafx-16.
    Yep.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!