Thread: Zanex: The Revolution (SNES)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Zanex: The Revolution (SNES)

Game Informer reviewed a video game for the SNES called "Zanex: The Revolution," in their August 1996 issue on page 55. This game didn't show up in my "master list." It also didn't come up in Google search results, Youtube, Wikipedia, eBay, or DigitPress. They gave it a 4.25/10. It was created by Advanced Productions.

It seems this is a canceled game but I find it strange that there would be absolutely no information on this game whatsoever.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I initially wondered if this might be a prank -- or a trap to catch other magazines' plagiarism -- but it's also mentioned as an upcoming release on p. 32 of the July 1996 issue of Gamefan (Volume 4, Issue 07).

Maybe it was a canceled localization of a Japanese release? I can't find a scan of Game Informer's August 1996 issue, sadly.

EDIT: Aha, got it! An old forum thread reveals that it was a provisional title for War 3010.
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-01-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The name shows up as having the trademark registration initialized but later abandoned.

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/za...-75027096.html
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Im guessing the name change had something to do with not wanting children to become hooked on Xanex pills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Im guessing the name change had something to do with not wanting children to become hooked on Xanex pills.
    It does seem odd that they would have wanted to give it name that sounds like a well known drug, but even odder considering that the game was a sequel to War 2410. They did keep the "The Revolution" part though.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    or a trap to catch other magazines' plagiarism
    I was wondering if that might have been the case at first. I have heard of other publications doing it before, especially with fake towns on maps. I wonder if there have been video game related instances though?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    It does seem odd that they would have wanted to give it name that sounds like a well known drug, but even odder considering that the game was a sequel to War 2410. They did keep the "The Revolution" part though.

I was wondering if that might have been the case at first. I have heard of other publications doing it before, especially with fake towns on maps. I wonder if there have been video game related instances though?
    I thought that this may have been the first, because Yeah Yeah Beebis I was shown to be a poor translation of a Famicom game. But this was solved somewhat easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

It is actually an ok game. Somewhat clunky by today's standards, it was better than War 2410 in that it had smaller battlefields (2410's were too big for the slow units (in comparison to the battlefield) and the clumsy mechanics. Since it was all air (well space) units it didn't suffer from the imbalance of air power strength that most strategy games suffer from - once you take out the enemy air units it is just a matter of mopping up the enemy ground forces.

(The SNES had surprisingly few strategy games (either regular or RPG). The best was probably Super Famicom Wars - which of course wasn't available on SNES.)
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!