Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Yearly Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Another weekend, another hunt for non-childish Nintendo Wii games. I go to GameXchange stores because used titles $7.95 or less are buy one, get one free. And it looks like the majority of the Wii's library are around $3 to $5 there. But I'll drive really far out of my way to hit the stores because there's always one game at each store that none of the others seem to have. Pretty much most stores that sell used Wii games has a title that I've never come across elsewhere. This trip, those type of games were SpeedZone, Spray, Little King's Story, and Haunted House. I remember reading back in the day that Atari were attempting to reboot the classic 2600 game Haunted House for the Wii, I wasn't aware it ever came out until I found a copy this afternoon.

Altogether, the roster of games are...

Speed Zone
    Spray
    Alone in the Dark
    Little King's Story
    Overlord - Dark Legend
    De Blob
    The Calling
    Haunted House
    Zack & Wiki - Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

I haven't been able to satisfy my collector's instinct since it's virtually impossible to find any games in thrift stores and flea markets. Getting a Wii has really ignited that drive in me. It's been a few months since I bought my first functional Wii, and I probably have around 125 games for it. I'm getting to the end of the line for really grown-up games on the system, and will have to start delving more into the more kid-friendly, casual gamer titles. Luckily those are common as hell and are dirt cheap except for first-party titles. I have a fascination with crappy shovelware for the Wii... Ninjabread Man was garbage, but the company that put it out reskinned the levels, put new characters models in it, and put it out as three other games. Talk about balls. I might pick those up just for the horribleness.

By the way, if anybody in the Dallas area wants a Japanese Saturn console, go to the GameXchange in Mesquite. They've got one, right next to a US version, for $65 if I recall (same as the US console). And next to that is a toploading 3DO (don't remember the price on that one).
    Last edited by Steve W; 08-12-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Forgot some information

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to the same video store see if they marked down any more games. They added stickers to some but of course not the ones I really want.

My daughter talked about not havingbRayman, Raving Rabbids at home, which I thought I left the cooy we had during the divorce and buying my own, but I guess not. So I picked up that title for $2 with the case but no instructions along with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, also for $2. I'll give my daughter my Rabbids original copy and keep the rental.

They still have other titles I'm debating on, like Fortune Street and Batman: Bold and the Brave (or whater it's called). The former more for collectibility and the latter for my Batman-fan young step kids.

I'm debating

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i'm a big fan of fortune street, if you dont mind sinking a ton of time into a single match then its worth it. also that reminds me, i should suggest it in another post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Went to another GameXchange location, and ended up buying an original Xbox. My old one died many years ago (killed by my nephew, who also killed my Xbox 360 - I stopped loaning my brother game consoles after that) and I really wanted to play some of those old games. Plus, a game that only came out on the Nuon, called FreeFall 3050 AD, was graphically upgraded and ported to the Xbox but was cancelled at the 95% complete mark. A guy who has previously programmed for the Xbox got the source code from the developer and finished the game and released it online. I really liked the Nuon game, so I'm going to have to figure out how to modify an Xbox, burn a DVD of the game, and play it.

I also stopped at a store called Freaks and Geeks in Denton, Texas and bought Fire Ball !! for the 3DO (it's a Japanese import pinball game) and an official version of Tetris for the Palm OS Handspring devices. I didn't know what it was at the time, thinking it was for a sort of educational handheld oddity that I bought in a thrift many years ago. Oh well, another oddity to add to the collection. Both games were $8 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i saw that thing that MVG did on FreeFall. I might try and get the version he finished running on an OG xbox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    i saw that thing that MVG did on FreeFall. I might try and get the version he finished running on an OG xbox
    I downloaded it yesterday but have no idea what to do with it. I'm guessing put the folder in the "Games" folder where ripped games normally go?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It played catch-and-release today on an item. I kinds kick myself for doing it buuuuut....it's probably a good thing.

I went to the local St. Vincent De Paul thrift store and spied an N64 with power and hook ups for $20. I grabbed it and saw two controllers that were priced seperate. After much debating, I put the system back. However, I did keep the controllers, which need a little fixing on their sticks. And I picked up a couple items as I couldn't pass them up:

N64 Controllers (original, grey and red)-$3.50 each
    NES Life Force(loose)- $2.99
    NES Contra (loose)-$2.99

Cisco/Linksys EA6500- $35

I needed a good WiFi router as I will now have 7 kids actively using computers for virtual school and the DSL modem's wifi pipe is getting tight.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I havent seen carts at a thrift store since 2015.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went to a game store I wasn't aware existed before, and picked up a couple of Atari 400/800 cartridges, Demon Attack (damaged boxed with instructions) and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle (loose). Both $12.99 each. It's just so crazy rare for me to find any Atari home computer stuff nowadays. Well, past commons. Dallas has a bunch of stores called Movie Trading Company and recently I tend to come across lots of absolute dirt commons there in the past year. Never anything third-party though, mostly just BASIC and Centipede. I don't know why there's been so little Atari 8-bit stuff in this area, any time I've ever found Atari computer stuff it's outside the state.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 12 2019 Pong Console.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	10664

Name:  6 Sept Games Crop.png
Views: 1618
Size:  91.1 KB

Found the Pong Console at a yard sale on July 12th, paid $1.

Not Pictured:

Nintendo DS Lite, Crimson Red & Charger - Not Working - Free (Yard Sale Item)

A Game Boy Advance (missing the battery cover,) 3 Playstation 1 Controllers and a bunch of twine for $1 in the last week.

Found all the other pictured items (Playstation, N64, Gamecube, Controllers, Wires, Memory Cards + Rampage on PS1, Madden 06 on Gamecube, Mario Kart 64 and another N64 game I forgot) today but not all at the same yard sale. I found the Gamecube at one yard sale and paid $5. There was a cute, little nice dog at that sale. At another yard sale a few hours later, I paid another $5 for the N64 and Playstation. Funny thing is both lots were "$20 or make offer" and I got them for $10 total. Otherwise, many yard sales lately just had Playstation 2s or Xbox 360s either at market value or overpriced.

Father and I have been finding other items at yard sales that don't pertain to Video Games; Stainless Coffee Pots, for example. I also bought 2 Dazey Donut Makers from the 70s recently (not worth a lot) and made donuts at home. It doesn't sound like I look at donuts from a health standpoint but I do; I don't eat them much but if I want any, I want to know what I put in them.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 09-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was searching for a few Wii games that don't end up in store shelves too often, and for some reason I came across loads of 3DO games. I want to know what's going on. After I bought my 3DO it was a pain to find any games for the console. I went to Game Master in Rowlett, TX today and they had a stack of copies of Return Fire. About 6 copies, and mixed with their other 3DO games. Went to a Movie Trading Company location and saw maybe 15 different titles. Where were all these games when I was searching all over for them, ready to feed my freshly acquired console?

Movie Trading Company was charging $550 for a caseless copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD. They like to put odd games with recognizable names into their glass cases and charge out the butt for them. Star Fox for the Atari 2600, loose, for $15. Or Donkey Kong for the 2600. One store had a Wii truck racing game for $60, the next location had it for $2.99. But $550? Screw them.
    Last edited by Steve W; 09-09-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Discovered I misspelled acquired as required. Me smart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I was searching for a few Wii games that don't end up in store shelves too often, and for some reason I came across loads of 3DO games. I want to know what's going on. After I bought my 3DO it was a pain to find any games for the console. I went to Game Master in Rowlett, TX today and they had a stack of copies of Return Fire. About 6 copies, and mixed with their other 3DO games. Went to a Movie Trading Company location and saw maybe 15 different titles. Where were all these games when I was searching all over for them, ready to feed my freshly required console?
    No idea. While seeking a Power Glove from 2003 - 2008 (when finds were much more abundant) I never found one. Come mid 2018, I found one while not looking and paid nearly nothing much to my surprise; all with no NES to test it with.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:

Steve W (09-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

been dry out west, and since i haven't been finding any thing lately (even at yard sales) i picked this up to spend some time on:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300ce.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	10665

$400
    1992 Mercedes 300ce Sportline
    rather un common car
    about 325,000 miles

it didnt run when i bought it but the next day i had it running, had a blown fuse on whats called an OVP relay
    after i got it running i made a quick run down of what else it needs: water pump, power steering pump, has no reverse.
    alot of stuff in it is serviceable, the power steerin pump for instance can be re built for about $20 and some time.
    Reverse its acting differently than what the internet explains when reverse is out in these cars, i get the feeling its some broken spring/valves in the valve body, or it might just be stuck from sitting a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    No idea. While seeking a Power Glove from 2003 - 2008 (when finds were much more abundant) I never found one. Come mid 2018, I found one while not looking and paid nearly nothing much to my surprise; all with no NES to test it with.
    I never came across Colecovisions in the wild until I went to a convention in 2008 where I picked up a Coleco homebrew, Spectar. After that I started finding loads of consoles in the wild. And none of them worked. My fifth machine was boxed and finally worked, and after finding a functional one I never came across another unit again. That Colecovision was dead within a year. Of course.

I bought a Power Glove at a flea market along with an Atari 7800 and some Atari 8-bit cartridges, $1 each. I didn't need an Atari 7800, but it was such a shock to me in finding one I just had to get it as a spare. After that I started finding loads of them. After the fourth or fifth one I decided to stop buying them, and they stopped showing up in the thrift stores I went to. It's funny how these kinds of things work in waves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I never came across Colecovisions in the wild until I went to a convention in 2008 where I picked up a Coleco homebrew, Spectar. After that I started finding loads of consoles in the wild. And none of them worked. My fifth machine was boxed and finally worked, and after finding a functional one I never came across another unit again. That Colecovision was dead within a year. Of course.

I bought a Power Glove at a flea market along with an Atari 7800 and some Atari 8-bit cartridges, $1 each. I didn't need an Atari 7800, but it was such a shock to me in finding one I just had to get it as a spare. After that I started finding loads of them. After the fourth or fifth one I decided to stop buying them, and they stopped showing up in the thrift stores I went to. It's funny how these kinds of things work in waves.
    I've seen it happen multiple times. Would you believe it, I've bought a second Nintendo 64 just this month not even 10 days later? I've also seen 3 of the same rare guitar model show up on eBay simultaneously in 2010; this is a guitar that had a production of 300 (give or take) in the 70s. There really isn't a large demand for them, few even know about them and fewer want one. It's a Mosrite 350 Stereo Guitar.

As for my finds on the 14th and 15th (Saturday and Sunday: )

On the 14th (Saturday,) I went to a community yard sale on the side of a grocery store. I only bought a PS1 or PS2 extension cable there for 25 cents.

Later, I followed a yard sale sign to a trailer. Someone had 7 N64 games and a few PS1, PS2 and 360 controllers out along with common 360 and PS2 games I mostly passed on. I didn't pick all of this up on the same day and not everything was out until I asked if there was more than what I listed just above but I didn't want to complicate the list:

Genesis:

Model 2 System
    1 RFA
    1 Official Controller

Games:

The Adventures of Mighty Max (Complete but Manual's missing its cover)
    Ecco the Dolphin (W Box)
    Kid Chameleon (W Box but the game is a MEGADRIVE cart? Why?)
    Mick and Mack Global Gladiators (Kinda complete but the box spine plastic's gone and the insert, which is tucked in the case, is messed up. The game doesn't work, yet at least, even after cleaning with QuikGlo. and Rubbing Alcohol.)
    Landstalker (Complete but not working, yet at least, even after cleaning with QuikGlo and Rubbing Alcohol.)
    Monopoly (in case without spine plastic)
    Mortal Kombat II (Complete)
    Ranger X (Complete)
    Sonic 2 (W Box, Spine Plastic's damaged)
    Sonic 3 (Complete)
    Toxic Crusaders (Complete)

N64:

System & Power Adapter
    1 Official Controller
    1 Offbrand Controller
    1 Memory Card (not working, apparently)

Games (All Loose: )

Diddy Kong Racing
    Monopoly
    Pokemon Snap
    Pokemon Stadium
    Rush 2: Extreme Racing
    Super Mario 64
    WCW vs NWO Revenge

Xbox 360:

Fallout 3 (With a junky case and scratched up)

Controllers:

PS1 Official
    PS2 Official
    PS2 Off Brand
    Xbox 360 Wired, Gamestop Brand, Missing USB Stress Relief Cable
    Xbox 360 Remote

I paid $23 total. Frankly, some of the Genesis games really weren't working right even after Rubbing Alcohol so I had to use QuikGlo in more of a liquid than a paste form to clean the contacts; that fixed Mighty Max, Monopoly and Ranger X. Global Gladiators and Landstalker aren't working yet. I'm not going to try working on them now.

Also, I apologize for the color tone in the photos. Next time, they'll be closer to reality.

- Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	10667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010001 - Sept 14 and 15.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	10668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	10669  
    Last edited by Slate; 09-18-2019 at 08:53 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:

Steve W (09-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

At a yard sale:

Brain Age 2 (With case, manual and papers)
    Nintendo DS Lite (Crimson Red) With Traveling Case & Power Adapter

$10 total. I should be able to re-sell these easily enough.

Non-Game Items:

Black & Decker Arctic Twister (It's an Ice Cream Twister) - $2.50
    Groundhog Day DVD (Like New) - 35 Cents
    Marble Rolling Pin - $2.50

EDIT: I'm also pleased to find the Pong console I bought in July is not so common; Montgomery Ward's "Video World of Sports" is an R7 in DP's Rarity Guide. (I just looked it up, months later.)

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 09-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I had a good run on Monday. I had an actual lunch break whete I could do what I wanted! So I hit up a thrift and found something I never found in the wild: A Microvision! It came with Brick Breaker and everything looked great save for a missing rubber foot. After work I hit a coupke more thrifts. Here's the run down:

Microvision console with Brick Breaker: $3 (got for free with coupon)

Adult Pac-Man costume: $5

Super Mario Land cartridge: $4

The Microvision works great. The kids passed it around to check it out. The costume needs something to widen the top if Pac's head. It fits over your head and covers the torso and waist. Right now it looks like Pac is pitching a mental tent when I wear it. I haven't tried Mario Land yet.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to YoshiM For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-25-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I dont know where/how you guys are able to find games at garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets. Im lucky if I see a copy of NBA Live 2003 for Xbox at a garage sales. The flea markets Ive been to just have resellers. Nobody selling games that have been in their basement for 20 years

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I dont know where/how you guys are able to find games at garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets. Im lucky if I see a copy of NBA Live 2003 for Xbox at a garage sales. The flea markets Ive been to just have resellers. Nobody selling games that have been in their basement for 20 years
    Until recently, game hunting has been fairly dry or if I do find something, the price is inflated. The local Goodwill has a bunch of PS2, PS3 and Wii games but mostly sports related or dirt common stuff like Uncharted and the like. They get some DS/3DS games but they are mostly the kid stuff. Anything older is rare to find. I haven't been to another thrift that's nearby that Goodwill in a while but there it's usually bare. Once I found a couple good Gamecube games (one was Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess) but that was a blue moon affair. The Salvation Army downtown has had zip for years.

Where I live there are two thrifts: a St Vincent's and a place called Neat Repeats. The latter doesn't always have games, though when they do the price is usually right. The St Vinnys had games at good prices on a fairly regular basis until possibly someone there started checking eBay on collectible prices. Then there was a drought as more stuff was put online. Then after their remodel they put out a load of post 2000's titles but most of the prices were rather high for a donation shop. There was a Tony Hawk game on Xbox going for $12 which I've seen at game stores for less. After a while, more releases came out but more at the "thrift store" level as no one was buying. Hence probably why I got Contra for cheap. Right now their old stuff is out save for some GB snd GBC games.

My area could be going through a game collecting renaissance of sorts where buyers looking to flip have moved elsewhere or onto other things or people don't want to go through the eBay hassle.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to YoshiM For This Useful Post:

Slate (09-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I had a good run on Monday. I had an actual lunch break whete I could do what I wanted! So I hit up a thrift and found something I never found in the wild: A Microvision! It came with Brick Breaker and everything looked great save for a missing rubber foot. After work I hit a coupke more thrifts. Here's the run down:

Microvision console with Brick Breaker: $3 (got for free with coupon)

Adult Pac-Man costume: $5

Super Mario Land cartridge: $4

The Microvision works great. The kids passed it around to check it out. The costume needs something to widen the top if Pac's head. It fits over your head and covers the torso and waist. Right now it looks like Pac is pitching a mental tent when I wear it. I haven't tried Mario Land yet.
    Wow, that was unexpected. I've never even seen a Microvision in person in a dedicated retrogaming store, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    It has mostly been dry all across DP since 2012 - 2013 according to DP's Finds threads. Don't ask me how exactly I found two N64s, a Playstation and Gamecube in the last 3 weeks for $33 (not counting gas money.) I do live in Northwest Pennsylvania in a rural low income area, that might have something to do with it but I don't really know.

I will say that when I found the Power Glove, it was being sold by someone leaving his apartment. He wasn't your usual gamer, he was interested in fabricating things from games and I didn't even want to stop at the yard sale but Father said "Let's go." Funny, it was the same exact story in August 2004 when I got 68 NES games for under $20 at Goodwill; they weren't out, I wanted to leave, Father found 3 SNES games and then BANG. They weren't all Sports titles, either.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Until recently, game hunting has been fairly dry or if I do find something, the price is inflated. The local Goodwill has a bunch of PS2, PS3 and Wii games but mostly sports related or dirt common stuff like Uncharted and the like. They get some DS/3DS games but they are mostly the kid stuff. Anything older is rare to find. I haven't been to another thrift that's nearby that Goodwill in a while but there it's usually bare. Once I found a couple good Gamecube games (one was Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess) but that was a blue moon affair. The Salvation Army downtown has had zip for years.

Where I live there are two thrifts: a St Vincent's and a place called Neat Repeats. The latter doesn't always have games, though when they do the price is usually right. The St Vinnys had games at good prices on a fairly regular basis until possibly someone there started checking eBay on collectible prices. Then there was a drought as more stuff was put online. Then after their remodel they put out a load of post 2000's titles but most of the prices were rather high for a donation shop. There was a Tony Hawk game on Xbox going for $12 which I've seen at game stores for less. After a while, more releases came out but more at the "thrift store" level as no one was buying. Hence probably why I got Contra for cheap. Right now their old stuff is out save for some GB snd GBC games.

My area could be going through a game collecting renaissance of sorts where buyers looking to flip have moved elsewhere or onto other things or people don't want to go through the eBay hassle.
    Goodwill has been reselling at ShopGoodwill.com. I don't suppose that's the only reason why I haven't seen anything there for years but I haven't been looking a lot either since it seems so dry. Then again, who knows unless they are there? One of my best finds was in a Goodwill just as they brought the games out. I know it was during the used market recession (if you can call it that) in August 2004 but my point is, unless you're there and you find something and post about it then who knows but the few employees who may not even care?

If I'm Thrifting, I don't only look for Games anymore. A few weeks ago, I found a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and paid a few dollars. It's worth at least $65 with free shipping on eBay. I'm off topic.

I haven't found anything recently. There are some PS2 and Wii games in a Thrift Store and I don't care to pick them up. I saw two Wiis in the same store weeks ago and passed.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 09-29-2019 at 11:06 PM.