Thread: what the deal with PS4 controller colors

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default what the deal with PS4 controller colors

i mean what the hell. they have been coming out with some pretty cool ones but it seems to me the scalpers are gloming onto them and effing with the prices

i first noticed it with the clear one, not the one that we got in the US there was a japanese released clear one a year or two ago that i really liked but once it came out they jacked the price way up to import and sell them over here. My ma got a deal on one directly from japan (i.e. not scalper price but a bit over MSRP) and gave it to me for X-Mas. And yes it is a little different from the one we got here in the states. i got this shortly after it came out before i got my PS4

Then there was the 20th anniversary controller same deal instant scalp major high prices unless you get used and abused and even then its still a touch more than new.

then there was the 500 Millionth, i didnt know this was a thing untill i saw in at a fred meyer right before thanks giving. thinking it was to go on sale for black friday i didnt buy it then and i was kind of kicking my self untill some one popped up on amazon last week with a new one at MSRP so i got it. By this time i had my PS4, i got it monday after black friday.

now theres the berry blue controller, and holy crap. my wife said she liked it and i told her to get it even though at the time we were still hunting for a PS4 i was going to get one come hell or high water, but she didnt and we've been looking all over. I *think* i just managed to snag one on best buy's web site open box but for $52 in "excellent condition". i had an old link directly to the product page and today it said "This item is no longer available. But don’t go! We have similar items in stock." but it listed the open box one still so i tried it out. worst comes to worst they ship me the wrong thing and i return it to the store.

side note, if any one else is in the same boat there are open box ones listed on that page still but now for MSRP new. still cheaper than amazon plus the ability to return a bit easier instead of trying to ship it back to some crummy reseller:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-du...?skuId=6293727

any way its just my rant. its not like any of these are "rare" at all. at most the 500 million controller might be uncommon but i am pretty sure i saw literally hundreds of berry blue controllers in my little town on black friday
    people just piss me off any more i guess.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I picked up the Berry Blue controller at NewEgg. You might want to check there.
    I'm a Sony fan, so I try collect all the DualShock 4 colors I can. Never heard of a Japanese exclusive clear controller and if you find a pic online, I'd like to see it. I looked around a bit - Amazon Japan, Play Asia, ect and could not find a picture of one. When I purchased a clear controller it was a GameStop exclusive. But I see Amazon has a listing for a clear color now, so maybe the exclusivity was only temporary or it's a different clear. I know what it's like to see jacked up DualShock prices, so I try to pick up the new colors right when they are released.
    These are the CUH-ZCT2 colors I've managed to collect so far...

Sony 500 Million Limited Edition DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Blue Crystal (Walmart Exclusive)
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - White Crystal - (GameStop Exclusive)
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Red Crystal - (Best Buy Exclusive)
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Berry Blue
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Copper
    Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller - Glacier White
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Gold
    Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller - Gran Turismo Sport Limited Edition
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Magma Red
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Blue Camouflage
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Green Camouflage
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Silver
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Sunset Orange
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Jet Black
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Steel Black
    DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Midnight Blue

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

its not exclusive its just different from the US version.
    from what i've noticed online, after considering "making" my own berry blue controller from a few shell kits on ebay, there are 2 different revisions of the controllers and a minor change on one of the revisions for a small board that the usb connects into.

any way the "clear" one we got in the states is this guy:
    https://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Wir...ontroller&th=1
    the light shines through the track pad on top and the entire thing has a frosted look.

the one i got from japan is the earlier revision so no light shining through the touch pad and the faces with the buttons and d pad are completely transparent and shiny and the rest of the body has a less frosted look than the one we got in the states.

model is CUH-ZCT1H 09 for this japanese one.

i'm sure its jut a revisionary change, with it being cheaper probably to case the new ones as completely frosted with no transparent sections.

I was thinking of getting a crystal (us ver) for use out on the console so we have an even 4 when there are peeps over, if i get it i'll try and do a side by side comparison