Thread: So umm..what is/was the Ouya?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default So umm..what is/was the Ouya?

I used to always hear about this thing, but never really learned what it was, and now it seems to have disappeared.

All I know is it was a game console or something. So like... did it have anything going for it? Am I even right about what it was?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Android-based micro console. I have one, need to get rid of it actually. It was good for most emulation. Had complaints over the controller, but I had no issues. The wifi was good but ethernet was not, FWIW. Main issue was again, it was android-based, and so people chose piracy over buying anything and the platform went nowhere. The other issue was it was kickstarted, and thus by time it finally hit the market, the hardware was quickly out of date and underpowered.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I dont buy consoles whose games are download only. I want a console with a shelf life of more than 3 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It's concept was a good one, at least on paper: a console that anyone could develop games for and a place where you cpukd "try before you buy". Those were the two big features that were tossed around, especially by Ouya as it listed it had over a thousand developers at one point. It didn't mean that ALL of them were actively developing games, it was just the number of folks who signed up for developer accounts.

It was neat at first. The games were decent as we got titles like "Towerfall", "Amazing Frogs?", "Fist of Awesome", "Nightmare Tower" along with some great emulators. I loved the concept of the "try before buy" as that was a staple of the PC gaming era that mostly dissappeared. Thanks to that I did drop some coin I might not have on titles like "Amazing Frogs?" (which I happily paid for again on PC for the much bigger version), "Just Rain" (a nice environmental background noise title that allowed you to change how much rain you wanted and from what direction), "Fist of Awesome", "Super Indie Carts" and a few others I can't think of. I got in on the Kickstarter and later bought the "black" cube with the better WiFi and updated controller.

I think when Ouya started allowing micro transactions and removed the requirement for demos is when, IMO, things went south. Not long after that, Razor bought Ouya and then things went quiet. The store is still open so you can download games but you can't buy them any more. Their credit card system is disconnected and I don't think you can buy Ouya "currency"
    (though I haven't looked into anything on Razor....). Which is a shame as I wanted to buy "Towerfall" and update "Bombsquad" (awesome 4 player+ versus game that plays best with a controller).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You could say that the Nvidia Shield TV Console (not the portable) is a successor of the OUYA in this type of Android setop box gaming/entertainment device market (I'm excluding most of the no name brand cheap chinese stuff and some of the other not as well known brands).

The Nvidia Shield TV Console is quite powerful... surprisingly powerful in that it can run Wii, Saturn, etc. emulation. Also the native games look pretty nice and supports the Nvidia LAN and cloud game streaming services.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

it was an insult to people who play games

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (04-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Which is a shame as I wanted to buy "Towerfall" and update "Bombsquad" (awesome 4 player+ versus game that plays best with a controller).
    Towerfall – or rather, Towerfall Ascension – is on Steam and most other consoles these days. And it's every bit as great as you remember it being. I think I got it in a bundle at some point.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The End™ is near:

Ouya will be shut down for good on June 25th

A shame, though not entirely surprising. At least Razr let it stick around for a few years after they bought it, but other than games which don't require purchase validation upon start-up, it's all over for Ouya.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Maybe Google was shook at the prospect of having to compete against a similarly worthless "digital only" console and bribed them to shut it down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    The End™ is near:

Ouya will be shut down for good on June 25th

A shame, though not entirely surprising. At least Razr let it stick around for a few years after they bought it, but other than games which don't require purchase validation upon start-up, it's all over for Ouya.
    Wow, not just Ouya but the Razor TV game store is also shutting down on that day.

Jorpho: yeah I know Towerfall is available on other platforms, but the compact nature of the Ouya and being made for TV was novel for me.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So umm, is anything of value about to be lost thanks to this shutdown?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So umm, is anything of value about to be lost thanks to this shutdown?
    There used to be a list of games that had the "phone home" DRM but I'll be dipped to find it. I found one link to a list but it 404'd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't had mine hooked up in quite a while. It had some things that where pretty fun and the emulators worked decently. May have to hook mine back up before the shutdown although I doubt I have any credit on there. The Ouya could have been so much better IMO but it never took off. Kinda sad really. I always felt like it was a decent idea.