Thread: Lowest amount you have paid for a video game? (Above $0.00)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Lowest amount you have paid for a video game? (Above $0.00)

For me it has been 25 cents USD for a bunch of CIB sports games on the original Xbox circa 2017. I dont think Ive gotten anything cheaper than that.

Edit: that was 25 cents per title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Years ago I would find (non-sports)games at yard sales for 25 cents quite often. Even fairly recently I mentioned in the finds thread getting a few games at a yard sale for 25 cents. That's probably the lowest for buying single games.

Now if you're talking about buying in lots then I'm sure I've gotten things for next to nothing before, though I can't remember any exact numbers.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Here's a weird memory I will never forget:

My family once took a trip to Best Buy (back then the nearest was two cities away so it was always a major thing when we went there) and I went to their computer games--this being back when PC games came in big boxes, and in fact the game I'm about to mention should pinpoint the era.

Okay, so for some reason this Best Buy had copies of You Don't Know Jack Volume 2...

... For one cent. ONE CENT.

Brand new fully boxed copies.

My dad bought several, one for us, the rest to hand out to friends. (We probably should've kept a few as I'm sure the game goes for more than one cent online now). But still, it was a crazy deal, like up until actual checkout we were sure the price was gonna turn out to be a mistake, but nope, we literally payed a penny per copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Never really kept track - but way back when I could sometimes pick up a sega cd or saturn game for $1.99 or so - almost always for the case since they were generally crappy games.

More recently I picked up a copy of Brigandine for .99 - not pristine since there was a bit of water damage to the manual and the map was pretty worn on the folds - but they were still there.

I did pick up a working laserdisc player once for a dollar.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I got 63 video games for $17 at GameStop on March 2, 2008. They were a mix of Genesis, SNES, PS1, Dreamcast, and N64 games. I think they were clearing out some old inventory they had for a while.

Some of the games ended up being only 7 cents individually. That's a 49 cent price + 75% off + an additional 10% off because me and my mom were GameStop rewards members at the time.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

There was a thrift store that was open for a short time here around a year or so ago. I picked up about a half dozen NES carts, all in poor to very poor condition, for ¢50 each. Among them were SMB3, Legendary Wings, & Wrath of the Black Manta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Lowest I probably paid was a quarter for a game, mainly Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision.

Lowest paid for a console: 50 cents for an in box TurboGrafix 16 with three games, controller and box.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Lowest I probably paid was a quarter for a game, mainly Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision.

Lowest paid for a console: 50 cents for an in box TurboGrafix 16 with three games, controller and box.
    damn only 50 cents? How did you get it that cheap?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Looking to double your money?

I technically got mine for free when my mother-in-law gave me a "box of video game junk" she got from a yard sale for $5. Among other stuff was a TG16 a few games, controller, Turbo Booster and whatever the multiplayer splitter thing is called. And I thought that was a great find.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

turbo tap (i think)

i've gotten so many consoles super cheap i cant keep track.
    My TG 16 came out of a dumpster with a few accessories an apple 2 and 3 Ti 99/4a's
    got a few dreamcasts out of a dumpster too, should have grabbed the rental cases they were in
    speaking of rental cases i got a working virtual boy in one for $2 at a yard sale many moons ago
    then of course the vectrex for $5 at the goodwill as-is store

there are others but those are the memorable ones

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I think I found an Xbox game at EB Games for $0.01 once, I can't remember what the title was but I only bought it because it was priced that low. I didn't keep it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Maybe $1? I know I bought a stack of SNES carts for $1 each from a garage sale years ago. I can't recall paying less than a dollar for any single game. If I've seen games priced below a dollar, they probably didn't interest me anyway. Well, unless you wanna count my Street Fighter II Tiger handheld. That was a quarter.

The lowest I paid for a system was probably the $4 I paid for a boxed model 2 Sega CD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

I think I bought at least one, maybe more than one extra SMB/Duck Hunt cart from Funcoland when they were selling them for like $0.10 to fill out orders; that was probably it.

But if free counted, past gifts, a friend left his copy of Ninja Gaiden at my house in like 4th grade and never wanted it back. 27 years later, I still have it.
    Last edited by Astrosmash; 01-13-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Dan B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I can't claim that I paid under $2 for a game, the cheapest one I can recall for a fact was $3 for Power Mission, and I think that was simply because nobody on fleabay knows what the hell it is.

However, last year a friend of mine gave me a Wii and two controllers in exchange for some gaming miniatures, refused to take the minis back home with him, then took off to join the army.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

... I don't know what Power Mission is either.... unless its a game about my house circa last summer when we kept having outages...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    I can't claim that I paid under $2 for a game, the cheapest one I can recall for a fact was $3 for Power Mission, and I think that was simply because nobody on fleabay knows what the hell it is.
    It is an ok game - supposedly both you and the ai are playing under fog of war - the AI seems awfully adept at guessing where you are though. It also really suffers from being a black and white game - you have bunch of not super distinct icons against a black and white backgrounds.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If your talking money then I’d probably been 50 cents or less for Original Xbox games. My first venture into the Original Xbox was free. My wife had a used and a new Original Xbox given to her where she worked. She sold computers and Microsoft was really pushing the new system. She also received 5 or so games. I got Halo, Crimson Sky’s, Jet Set Radio and a few more for free. Once I hooked this system up I was hooked for life.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Brock Landers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hard to say, but tons of games from thrift stores for under $1. A notable one being Final Fantasy VII