Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaten in 2019

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Any type of game is cool. I frequently have recent releases on my lists. I think we might've had a separate topic for modern games years ago (or maybe I'm thinking of the daily playing topics), but anything goes in this topic at this point.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phanstar330

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    honestly not much I keep dabling in games like right now these-
    tomb raider's latest games
    call of cthulhu xbox one

but can't find the time to finish them thanks to adulting and much of my gametime is spent on mmos and overwatch with the wife
    I'm in the same boat! I started Undertale but then drifted off. Started Luigies Mansion on GCN, Started Thimbleweed Park. Haven't stuck with anything.

If you consider beating a game making the credits roll then I beat Tamodachi Life in 19 so far. That's it. I better get gaming.

Does anyone know if Zombiiu is easy to beat?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey gang. I finally finished up the intriguing (but weird & awkward) Realms of the Haunting. That ending, though!

I've wasted a bunch of time on idle games, but I think I need to get serious about investing the time in stuff I like. Starting to dawn on me that life doesn't go on forever and I can't spend it on things I hate.

MAME's starting to support a bunch of the "old" plug-and-play TV games, from the heyday of this Forum! It'll be interesting to try some of the obscure ones like Geigeki Go Go Shooting (by Takara) or the Namco / Taito Nostalgia ones. All import-only.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Oscuro For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-24-2019)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Long time no see! Welcome back, Ed!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

1. Tales of Graces f (PS3)
    2. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PS3)
    3. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)

This is the third or fourth run of the game I've done. It's still the same. It starts off so well, the combat is loads of fun, the Pawn system is nifty, and the climactic battle against the Dragon still makes Skyrim's Alduin seem like a joke. The ending is still fairly meh mechanically, which is a shame because there's some serious spectacle and the opponent being so wimpy feels like blasphemy in several ways. If Capcom could stop churning out cookie cutter sequels and DLC schemes long enough to put some polish on this franchise we'd have a real winner on out hands.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

1. Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Dancing Museum (N64) 1/7
    2. Magic Knight Rayearth (GB) 2/21
    3. Sesame Street: The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (GBC via emulation) 2/23
    4. Skate or Die: Bad 'N Rad (GB) 2/24
    5. Crayon Shin-chan 2: Ora to Wanpaku Gokko Dazo (GB) 2/25
    6. Sorcerer's Maze (PlayStation via emulation) 3/3
    7. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (Wii) 3/7
    8. McDonald's Monogatari: Honobono Tenchou Ikusei Game (GBC) 3/14
    9. Metal Gear (MSX via Vita Metal Gear Solid HD Collection) 4/14

I'm very late to the party, but I've finally joined the ranks of those who have beaten at least one game in the Metal Gear franchise. The first one has its quirks and some annoyances, but overall it was a fun game, and I can see how it was revolutionary for its time. Though, I don't think I played it quite as intended, considering I killed nearly 400 people and used up 70-some rations, haha. I guess I should get better at actually being stealthy. I plan to play Metal Gear 2 sometime, which I can play on this same collection, but I think I'll give it some time to avoid burn out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1. Super Mario Sunshine.
    2. Jetforce Gemini

Super Mario Sunshine was a blast and has quite a few tough challenges. The controls are fairly easy to pick up but tough to master.
    Jetforce Gemini is painful in revisiting areas and scouring to find the tribals. The last two bosses are tough, the Mantis one in particular took me a long time. Its a decent game, only the backtracking substracts from the experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

1. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2) 01/09/19
    2. Onimusha 3: Demon Siege (PS2) 03/12/19
    3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) 03/20/19
    4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) 04/01/19
    5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) 04/24/19
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

10. Tokyo Tattoo Girls (Vita) 4/27

I started this because I heard it's short, and true enough, I did get to the credits roll in what was probably just a few hours, even after restarting the game because my first time through I didn't really get what I was doing and got myself in what seemed like an impossible jam (despite the game practically playing itself). But that was just to beat it with one character. It seems like it would take a decent chunk of time to beat it with every character, and considering they play a little differently, have their own CG galleries, and their own unique cutscenes, that seems to be what's intended. And to get all the trophies, that would be more time yet, as there are trophies for playing through the game eight times over with each girl, which is pretty idiotically repetitive. Anyway, this game doesn't have a very good reputation, and I can understand why, but it's not that bad either. It's just very mobile-ish. It's shallow, and you don't do all that much. But if you approach it like playing a visual novel with a little gameplay on the side (I'd describe it more like management than actual strategy), it's not so bad as a game to just mindlessly relax with. I say mindlessly because the story doesn't give you much to wrap your head around either, so it wouldn't be good were it just a visual novel. All the characters are tropes, and they don't have any development. The cutscenes are mostly played for laughs, but aren't particularly funny either. I know I'm making the game sound terrible, but with the combination of gameplay and story elements, nothing really gets a chance to wear out its welcome before it's over. And those who actually care about waifus and fanservice and such will get even more out of it than I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I beat New Super Mario Bros DS last night.

Going on halfway through the year and unfortunately that's the only game I've had the time to really play so far.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

1) Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance - GCN - 01/05
    2) The Last of Us - PS3 - 01/10
    3) Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Switch - 01/16
    4) Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - GCN - 02/13
    5) Star Wars: Battlefront II - PS2 - 04/01

Not sure when we finished this one, forgot to log it, but my son and I played through all of the story and most of a couple of the other modes. Great game, I'm sure I played it when it came out, but on PC(?). I remember playing a ton of online multiplayer with a friend, but don't remember the story mode at all. Maybe it was just the first that I played.

5) Borderlands GOTY Enhanced - PC - 05/05

I've always really enjoyed the Borderlands games. Loot and fun characters does it for me. I'm not good at FPS games, but Borderlands is pretty easy. Pretty cool that they released this 'Enhanced' version, for free, at that (if you already owned the original on Steam), but I had some struggles to play it. First, it always wanted to select my Mobo's graphics, then it wouldn't launch until I renamed some random DLL, and after that I could play just fine, but only for 30-60(?) minutes before it would start to stutter, getting gradually worse until it became unplayable. Never found a fix for that. Fortunately it can be played in chunks like that pretty easily, except for the DLC, which don't have any fast travel and sometimes have some significant ground to cover. Played a ton of BL before, but never got into the DLC, despite owning them, so it was good to finally play those.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

Zelda II - NES - 4/28
    Contra - NES - 5/09

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Just beat Donkey Kong Land. Not sure if Im gonna go for 100% or not. Its like an uglier, zoomed in Donkey Kong Country with generic music

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

11. The Simpsons (Arcade via MAME) 5/25

Played through this last night with the husband and his siblings. I was playing as Lisa (just because that was the controller I got, not any kind of intentional selection). We've all played this game before, but I think it was the first time any of us have played all the way to the end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Just beat "The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds". The concept of being able to get your hands on pratically every weapon/item from one place in the game was an interesting approach, but the game still suffered from the "use it here and never need to use it again" syndrome of the Zelda series. Plus if you are decent at playing a top down Zelda, there's no real threat of death. Having save points that double as "warp points" at every major location further reduces the difficulty, providing you warp about.

I enjoyed most of the game but as it was wrappng up I, and I think the developers, were getting "done" at that point. The dungeon progression I took landed me with a really small map a whizzed through on a short lunch break. To me it seemed like there was an intention for it to be clever but the execution didn't turn out that way. The last dungeon, with its setup, kinda reinforced to me that someone wanted the game wrapped up.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

11. The Simpsons (Arcade via MAME) 5/25
    12. Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 2 (GBC) 6/9

Well, that was a video game. That's about as much praise as I can give Toy Story 2. It's functional and playable, so that automatically makes it better than a bunch of other platformers. But it doesn't excel beyond that. Absolutely dreadful controls, inconsistent hit detection, lackluster level design, mediocre audio and visuals, and an all around lazy and/or rushed effort. Nothing surprising for a licensed game, I know, but considering there have been a fair number of good Disney games over the years, it's still a bummer. This is another check-it-off-and-move-on kind of game for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

1. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2) 01/09/19
    2. Onimusha 3: Demon Siege (PS2) 03/12/19
    3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) 03/20/19
    4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) 04/01/19
    5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (The Nathan Drake Collection) (PS4) 04/24/19
    6, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (XB1) 07/01/19
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

The other day I beat Samus Returns, 100% Normal mode. At a little over 18 hours my first play through, it didn't seem to long. I did get tips here and there to help me along, but it's based on the GB original, which wasn't a huge game.
    My thoughts? It's awesome!!! I can't remember the last time I beat a game, and right away wanted to start it over from the beginning. Complex enough to keep it interesting, but straightforward enough to keep you moving through. Although, there were a few parts (as I mentioned) I needed tips.
    The artwork, the music, the atmosphere all wrapped you in.
    The homage to the original mixed with the new features was spot on!
    Going into my top 10 list.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Beat Links Awakening today. I dont remember if I had ever beaten the cartridge version before. Very easy and fun game. I tried getting 100% but missed 3 heart pieces which eventually I looked up. They were hidden behind walls that didnt have any indication that you could break them unless you went through every wall in every cave, tapping with your sword. And there was one under water.

I found 20 seashells on my own but apparently there are 26 and a few of them are "if you dont get it now, youll never have a chance to get it" yeah whatever.

I am tempted to go back and get a proper 100% and with zero kills but I have other games I need to finish

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkenyon2 View Post
    The other day I beat Samus Returns, 100% Normal mode. At a little over 18 hours my first play through, it didn't seem to long. I did get tips here and there to help me along, but it's based on the GB original, which wasn't a huge game.
    My thoughts? It's awesome!!! I can't remember the last time I beat a game, and right away wanted to start it over from the beginning. Complex enough to keep it interesting, but straightforward enough to keep you moving through. Although, there were a few parts (as I mentioned) I needed tips.
    The artwork, the music, the atmosphere all wrapped you in.
    The homage to the original mixed with the new features was spot on!
    Going into my top 10 list.
    I got about 1/3 of the way through Metroid 2 and hit a roadblock. Tried playing the other day only to find that my battery died. Ill have to replace it and go back to try and beat it. The only Metroids I beat were Super and Fusion