Thread: Sega Genesis controller- like or dislike?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Sega Genesis controller- like or dislike?

This only pertains to the 3 button and 6 button controllers manufactured by Sega for the Genesis models 1, 2, 3, CD, and 32x.

I have grown quite fond of the 3 button controller more recently. The buttons are bigger than the SNES's and have a clicking action that feels satisfying, and I have noticed that with a lot of SNES games, a fourth button on the right side isnt even used a lot of times, or it does the same thing as another button. I really prefer the D pad on the Genesis over the SNES as well because it seems easier for diagonal movements. I also like the shape of the Gen controller more.

The 6 button isnt bad but I dont always see the point in the top 3 buttons except for some of the fighting games like Eternal Champions. I think Pitfall utilized the top row as well.

What are your thoughts on the controller designed for Sega's most successful home game console of all time and do you feel it has aged well, 30 years after its initial release?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've never really liked the original 3 button controllers, they just feel way too big to me. Maybe not to the same degree as the original Xbox controller but I still prefer the smaller 6 button controller.

It's funny you mention some SNES games making the buttons do the same thing as other buttons. I grew up with an NES having and never played a SEGA system for a long time. When I finally did get a chance to play a Genesis I was curiously exited about that third button. The game I played however was Sonic and I was a bit dissapointed.

There are some games like Comix Zone that make use of the extra buttons to select your items instead of using the C button to cycle through items. But yeah, Good luck playing a fighting game with a 3 button controller.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

3-button: clunky/clumsy, buttons are too large, D-pad is often subpar (varies)

Original 6-button: one of the best D-pads I've ever used; buttons are great too

Later 6-button with turbo, made by Majesco: crappy, gritty D-pad, buttons are mediocre

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've never used a Genesis controller I was that crazy about, but that said, the only 6-button Genesis controller I've ever used is the cheap Majesco version. The 3-button controllers aren't bad, they got the job done, but I have not particular fondness for them. They vary a ton too. I've got a bunch of different 3-button controllers, and the cord length and overall quality is different from one to the next, and I'm not even talking controllers that are clearly third-party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used the 3 button arcade power stick when it was released in 1990 compared to the 3 button controller.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RPG_Fanatic For This Useful Post:

bb_hood (01-12-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I like the Genesis controllers. I mostly use the 3 button ones, I prefer the early versions if possible as they're just better quality.