Thread: Games that everyone likes except you

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

can't get into fortnite or the battle royale genre just can't. Not big on mmos either unless the wife plays with me then I will play

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Right now I'm re-playing Kingdom Hearts on PS2. I remember people loving this game and its a big series now but honestly, I remember thinking the original game was kinda crap. I may change my mind but I'm already remembering some of my original issues with it, so I may be adding to this later.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Final Fantasy VII. It was the reason I got a PlayStation. I greatly enjoyed the game when it came out. I bought strategy guides for it to dig into every last bit of the game and I played through it twice.

However, although I owned a SNES and had friends who played a lot of Square RPGs, I never played any on the SNES. I ended up playing through Final Fantasy III/VI in the early 2000's and it totally changed my opinion of Final Fantasy VII. In almost every way, FF III/VI was a better game. Better story, better characters, better music, better setting. I even liked the pixel art charm of FF III/VI over the SD polygon characters on static render backgrounds/proportional characters in fights for FF VII.

These days, I would totally play through FF III/VI again if I had the time, but I don't see myself ever picking up FF VII ever again. It just doesn't hold up and my personal perspective of FF VII is that it was just a hype machine to get people into square RPGs/sell PlayStations rather than offering the deepness of FF III/VI. Looking back, the FF VII story line is all over the place and it lacks a cohesiveness that made FF III/VI a great game.

I'm sure there are man, many people who would disagree with me, but I still firmly believe that in this instance, the predecessor was fare superior to the successor and, for that reason, FF VII is not that great of a game.

EDIT: Also, Shenmue is great. Sure the "looking for sailors" is hilariously corny, but I really did enjoy "living" in the environment, even if I was only moving boxes with a fork lift as fast as I could and wasting my money at the arcade ;-)
    Last edited by Pr3tty F1y; 01-27-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Smash Bros series.

I get the fan service part, but it's really boring and shallow to me to play.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I find Smash Bros. games pretty dull too. I'm not super into fighters to begin with, and party/arena-style ones even less so. And when we play with four players, or even four players + AI opponents, I have a hard time following what's going on and keeping track of where my character is. The screen just gets way too busy. I think the most fun I had with the series was collecting those silly little trophies in Melee.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'll also put down any of the modern Madden or annual sports games, apparently sports games are still popular though I don't know any game collectors who ever play them. The odd time I might play some old sports games on the Genesis or maybe NES like Tecmo Bowl or Blades of Steel but it's not that often. Also Smash Bros as others here have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Shenmue is the most abudantly available Dreamcast game at the moment. Whether or not that correlates to sales or not is up for debate but i think it does say that a lot of them were sold
    It was a popular Dreamcast game but the Dreamcast didn't sell well in North America, so a widely available console game on a console that barely sold well isn't exactly a best selling game. Sega hoped it would be the next big thing, something that would help convince people to buy the console in the same way that Sonic got people buying Genesis consoles when Altered Beast didn't. Shenmue didn't sell horribly but it wasn't the next Myst or 7th Guest, it just sold well to existing Dreamcast owners. Sega was ok with the large budget because they thought they'd still sell enough copies to make a profit, they were very wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Not a huge fan of Pokemon either. I liked the anime back in the day but the video games... again, seriously, this was 1996 and here we had an RPG where your one monster only ever fought one other monster at a time, the only strategy was to grind... in a time AFTER Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI, how the hell was this so big? Oh, right, because everything Nintendo touches is gold. I swear the company could make a game about Pikachu's bowel movements and it would be a million-seller. and then they would never make a sequel despite intense fan demand.
    Pokémon got big because of marketing. It had a trading card game and a TV show that made it popular. Also being on the Gameboy helped because everyone had a Gameboy back then and most kids brought theirs to school to play at lunch time and trade with other kids using the link cable.

This was at a time when not everyone had an SNES, people might have had a Genesis instead, and people were starting to upgrade to newer consoles like the N64 and PS1. Yet everyone had a Gameboy of some type as other portables didn't catch on that well.

I never played Pokémon games either especially back as a kid, I never thought the show was that great even when I was about 12 at the time it was most popular. But I might actually try to play the games at some point to see if I just overlooked them, a lot of games I've never played yet due to various reasons including time constraints but I can't say that I actually dislike them as I haven't tried them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    EDIT: Also, Shenmue is great. Sure the "looking for sailors" is hilariously corny, but I really did enjoy "living" in the environment, even if I was only moving boxes with a fork lift as fast as I could and wasting my money at the arcade ;-)
    I wouldn't usually mind the odd corny type stuff in a game but that wasn't how the game was meant to come across, it had a serious plot and wanted to be taken seriously. But plenty of it just came across as corny such as that whole "looking for sailors" quest, and the entire voice acting throughout the entire game which was a constant problem for me. If this was something of a parody like Deadly Premonition then it would work fine, but it wasn't.

The arcade in it is an interesting thing, it was a fun part but you're basically just playing other better Sega games instead of Shenmue at this point. It's fine if you like Shenmue, it's just to me it's a game that I actively don't like.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Shenmue sold well enough that even North American chains like GameStop carried the European release of Shenmue II, since there was no US release at the time, so I think that really says something. I've never see anything like that since, besides Circuit City carrying a few Japanese games for DS and PSP back in the day.

The nice thing about the recent compilation is that it's dual audio, so English speakers can now stick with the Japanese audio if they don't want the corny dub. But Shenmue isn't supposed to be totally serious. It's similar to the Yakuza series in that there are silly diversions so the player can take a break from the heaviness of the main plot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Shenmue sold well enough that even North American chains like GameStop carried the European release of Shenmue II, since there was no US release at the time, so I think that really says something. I've never see anything like that since, besides Circuit City carrying a few Japanese games for DS and PSP back in the day.
    Japanese Virtual Boy games were sold in Canadian Electronics Boutique stores, I don't think anyone will try to argue that the Virtual Boy was a successful console.

I agree that Shenmue was a very popular game for Dreamcast owners, it just didn't convince non-Dreamcast owners to buy a Dreamcast just to play it. With Myst and The 7th Guest, people went out and bought CD-ROM drives just so they could play those games. That's the level that Sega was hoping for with Shenmue, to turn 10 million consoles sold into 30 million. It just didn't happen. I find that most Dreamcast exclusive games are more niche type games that don't appeal to a wide audience, like Seaman and Space Channel 5. It just wasn't what enough people wanted to play. While I do enjoy plenty of niche games like the adventure genre, I'm just not into the styles of niche games that the Dreamcast liked to focus on.

I've never really played the Yakuza series so I can't comment on it. I was never drawn to it that much for whatever reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Some Electronics Boutique stores carried import Saturn games here in the US during it's final years. Was rather surprising.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Zelda Twilight Princess. Couldn't figure out how to "get into" the game years ago.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I think I'll add Baldur's Gate to this list. Note I'm playing the original, though it doesn't sound like the Enhanced Edition fixed the things *I* thought were problems.

I just mentioned this on another forum, so I'll quote the relevant bits from there:

I have two main problems with it: First, I hate that the interface is similar to a real-time strategy game, including having an obscuring shroud over the map which you need to uncover. In reality, my problem with this is I hate drag-and-drop because they can sometimes make simple actions clunky, plus this is an RPG where I have to deal with weird pathfinding issues (especially when I'm trying really hard to not trigger a pre-set encounter, for example, or when the party starts going random places because a narrow passage was blocked for a split-second), but when I'm not having problems, I'm just clicking and then waiting five million years for the party to get where I clicked, with myself not giving any input at all.

At the risk of being either old-fashioned or a weeb, a more Ultima V-ish or else JRPG interface would not have any of these problems, and I would almost like a fan-remake of Baldur's Gate done as an RPG-Maker game that keeps everything that made it BG but just without playing like an RTS. I shouldn't have to deal with RTS problems in an RPG.

My second major issue was how it handles subquests. I hate the NPCs who will see and walk up to you as soon as you enter their range even if you're invisible, or how sometimes you will just find something like "Joseph's Greenstone Ring" which, you know, now you HAVE to do it (admittedly this is probably more my problem than an objective flaw with the game) because you don't want to leave loose ends... and this often necessitates going into every generic house filled with unnamed "commoners" before finding the ONE doesn't-stand-out-in-any-way house that has the person you're supposed to talk to. Two easy solutions: One, houses with quests should be obviously stand-out--for example doing the Ys thing where important houses have open doors, or else different roof colors. Two, subquest objects shouldn't exist until you've talked to the person who the quest relates to--a thing RPGs before BG were already doing. That way I never have the "I just got done painting the house and think I'm gonna relax only for my dad to suddenly walk in and say he wants me to wash his car" feeling!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Right now I'm re-playing Kingdom Hearts on PS2. I remember people loving this game and its a big series now but honestly, I remember thinking the original game was kinda crap. I may change my mind but I'm already remembering some of my original issues with it, so I may be adding to this later.
    Am I the only one that remembers the trepidation and snark that gamers were tossing at KH all the way up to release, and then how it wound up 'vindicated' very quickly? While I do have a positive opinion of the first game, I admit that it has some flaws (the Tarzan world felt like an irritating Zelda minigame hub disguised as an action RPG world, the early Gummiship courses were a nightmare and making them mandatory was a bad idea) I can't even bring myself to try KH2 because of the 'required reading' they set up, whatever the masses say.

'Deconstructive' games are something I stay away from. I watched a friend play Far Cry 3 for a bit and quietly tried it out a bit myself, but playing a burgeoning psychopath with nothing to balance out the Hobbesian 'you're a violent freak and that's all you are because people suck' theme got old really fast. Somebody realized you need cheese and gave us Blood Dragon at least.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I cant stand smash brothers and final fantasy.
    there are others but those are the ones that surprise people for what ever reason.

to add to this, how many of you have been called a game snob for not liking a generally popular game or series?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think I've seen the other way around more often. Where people call you a "casual" or say you're not a "real" gamer if you don't play or like a certain game/series/genre. But maybe it's different for me because I have to deal with the whole "fake gamer girl" type nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I cant stand smash brothers
    there are others but those are the ones that surprise people for what ever reason.
    I never cared for smash brothers either beside the hype it get's for being mainstream.Though it's fans that are really into it do take it very seriously,say any thing negative about it and they go crazy.Then again i was never a fan of arena fighters to begin with.Any time i will play a fighter it has to be vs either by capcom,snk or arc systems works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I think I've seen the other way around more often. Where people call you a "casual" or say you're not a "real" gamer if you don't play or like a certain game/series/genre. But maybe it's different for me because I have to deal with the whole "fake gamer girl" type nonsense.
    I kind of get that reaction from people when I say I don't like the Dreamcast or N64.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

From my experience, there are boatloads of people who hate on the N64 (and an increasing number who hate on the entire 5th gen, claiming all the games from that gen are unplayable now). I'm usually outnumbered as someone who loves the N64 library and its controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zelda - Ocarina Of Time. I just couldn't get into the 3d world. I still don't like the 3d Zelda games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I've gotten crap over not touching Madden and GTA. Some of it is because what little gaming culture there is at my workplace is dominated by 18-20 year olds that don't know any better. The only time I was called anything like snob was over my reluctance to jump on the Mini bandwagon.

The most irritating thing that I've gotten crap over is not worshipping Twitch.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of Ocarina of Time either, but I at least have some fun with it.

Majora's Mask, however, I just can't enjoy. For one thing the Ocarina engine (and at this point, Zelda's entire design philosophy) already had a lot of problems... Zelda at this point seemed custom-made to be as tedious and irritating as possible. Last time I played Ocarina I got so frustrated that I had to pen this thing just to vent (its a list of issues I was having, some of which are petty but felt worse because of my mood at the time).

So you see I already had issues with Ocarina's gameplay... Majora plays almost the same way but then ups the ante with its stupid as all hell three-days "All your progress gets reset when you save" system. I have no patience for that kind of crap. I keep hearing that Majora has redeeming qualities, but for me they're buried under a gameplay style I just do not have the inclination to put myself through.