I'll also put down any of the modern Madden or annual sports games, apparently sports games are still popular though I don't know any game collectors who ever play them. The odd time I might play some old sports games on the Genesis or maybe NES like Tecmo Bowl or Blades of Steel but it's not that often. Also Smash Bros as others here have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
Shenmue is the most abudantly available Dreamcast game at the moment. Whether or not that correlates to sales or not is up for debate but i think it does say that a lot of them were sold
It was a popular Dreamcast game but the Dreamcast didn't sell well in North America, so a widely available console game on a console that barely sold well isn't exactly a best selling game. Sega hoped it would be the next big thing, something that would help convince people to buy the console in the same way that Sonic got people buying Genesis consoles when Altered Beast didn't. Shenmue didn't sell horribly but it wasn't the next Myst or 7th Guest, it just sold well to existing Dreamcast owners. Sega was ok with the large budget because they thought they'd still sell enough copies to make a profit, they were very wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
Not a huge fan of Pokemon either. I liked the anime back in the day but the video games... again, seriously, this was 1996 and here we had an RPG where your one monster only ever fought one other monster at a time, the only strategy was to grind... in a time AFTER Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI, how the hell was this so big? Oh, right, because everything Nintendo touches is gold. I swear the company could make a game about Pikachu's bowel movements and it would be a million-seller. and then they would never make a sequel despite intense fan demand.
Pokémon got big because of marketing. It had a trading card game and a TV show that made it popular. Also being on the Gameboy helped because everyone had a Gameboy back then and most kids brought theirs to school to play at lunch time and trade with other kids using the link cable.

This was at a time when not everyone had an SNES, people might have had a Genesis instead, and people were starting to upgrade to newer consoles like the N64 and PS1. Yet everyone had a Gameboy of some type as other portables didn't catch on that well.

I never played Pokémon games either especially back as a kid, I never thought the show was that great even when I was about 12 at the time it was most popular. But I might actually try to play the games at some point to see if I just overlooked them, a lot of games I've never played yet due to various reasons including time constraints but I can't say that I actually dislike them as I haven't tried them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
EDIT: Also, Shenmue is great. Sure the "looking for sailors" is hilariously corny, but I really did enjoy "living" in the environment, even if I was only moving boxes with a fork lift as fast as I could and wasting my money at the arcade ;-)
I wouldn't usually mind the odd corny type stuff in a game but that wasn't how the game was meant to come across, it had a serious plot and wanted to be taken seriously. But plenty of it just came across as corny such as that whole "looking for sailors" quest, and the entire voice acting throughout the entire game which was a constant problem for me. If this was something of a parody like Deadly Premonition then it would work fine, but it wasn't.

The arcade in it is an interesting thing, it was a fun part but you're basically just playing other better Sega games instead of Shenmue at this point. It's fine if you like Shenmue, it's just to me it's a game that I actively don't like.