Thread: Do you have a trading group or network? How did you find or start it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Steam
    Maruko Tenada

Default Do you have a trading group or network? How did you find or start it?

There are a few re-sellers in our area, and they're all pretty friendly. One guy who has a stand on the weekends at our local flea market put me in touch with another guy who buys and sells on the side, and has some pretty decent prices.

I've seen some youtube videos (ie. Game Chasers, Metal Jesus Rocks) that mention groups they have in their area for trading games and hardware.

What's your experience been like? Do you just know the local spots? Or do you have a network you keep in touch with? Have you started a local group and if so, how'd that come about?

I think some of the fun is having a network (like this) to chat with and discuss, and maybe help each other find stuff. What say you?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Met a couple collectors in the area but no one that Ive built a friendship with. Game collecting is dried up where I live. The days of garage sale finds are long gone around here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There a several on Facebook in this area, but I've never looked into it more that seeing that they exist. If I had a lot of duplicates I'd probably join to look for trades but I sold all my dupes on Ebay years ago.

St louis seems to be a hot spot for game collectors though(there are a ton of retro game stores here) , so I'm sure it's different in other areas.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I met lots of cool people back in the day, some recently, lika a few resellers, they didn't seem to know anything about games, sometimes they'd ask me simple stuff, and I'd think to myself how are you a video game reseller?

I met other people, that seem to be collecting just so they can post to their instagram, like they're trying to get games that are popular/rare but don't really play them.

Lots of people, "hey do you have any other video game stuff? I 'm a huge collector, I'll buy anything" me; I have these sealed titles, I have X and X "Oh, I don't collect sealed games, I don't collect for that console"

Funny thing is I met a couple people like over 15 years ago, they no longer play or collect video games, but we still hang out.
    Last edited by hamburglar; 01-18-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Not really with specific groups or people for the most part. I found that with a lot of people, I'd offer up what I found at around cost, but when these people had stuff for sale that I wanted, I would be offered it at the going price or above that, even when I know they found it cheap.

I pretty much only offer stuff up for great prices now to specific friends or specific people I know. I don't find a lot of stuff worth trading these days though, not as much compared to what I used to find.