Thread: One retro translation to rule them (for you anyway),

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default One retro translation to rule them (for you anyway),

If you could have one retro game translated (and put on an easily useable console) what would it be?

Mine would be this for the ps1:

I have the game and a Japanese PS1 - but the language is a big challenge so I have gotten nowhere with it.

What is your heart's desire for one game?
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Metal Wolf Chaos. Although a game satirizing America made for Americans kind of loses some of the appeal. It still looks way better than anything we got in the US for the Xbox though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

Offhand, Brigandine: Grand Edition (PS1) is one. Love Brigandine, and would love to be able to play the enhanced version with the two-player battle mode.

Or if it counts as "retro" at this point, the 16-bit-style sequel to Retro Game Challenge on DS.
    Dan B.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As far as fan translations go, all I really want are PC-FX translations, since the system never left Japan and so many of the games are very heavy on text. I've always thought it was a shame that the fan translation scene seems obsessed with the Super Famicom and largely ignores so many other systems. I guess maybe it's a matter of familiarity, but some systems have gotten so many fan translations that they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with those systems now, instead of moving on to different systems with all sorts of excellent games that have yet to be touched. Of course, I don't think anybody should feel entitled to any fan translations, and the people who make them can pick any games they want. It's also pretty impressive that some systems have had practically all their worthwhile Japan-only games translated.

As for official localizations, I could never narrow it down. There are countless games, both retro and modern, that I wish could receive an official localization.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    As far as fan translations go, all I really want are PC-FX translations, since the system never left Japan and so many of the games are very heavy on text.
    I would really like to be able to play this:

When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd play it out of morbid curiosity (and I do own a copy), but that one is pretty low on my wants list. I find the source material pretty distasteful with how it's basically nationalist propaganda that reenvisions the war in the Pacific with the Japanese side being virtuous and the American side as villainous. Same reason I don't like stuff like Kantai Collection. Media that seems to romanticize Imperial Japan leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Usually any storylines* in strategy games don't interest me - I am more concerned with the mechanics of the game itself - I don't expect any great historical accuracy in these types of games in any event. Iron Storm is a fun game but is so stylized that it bears little resemblence to what really happened in the events it recreates.

*I suspect my history is strong enough to survive such things intact. The revisionist history that goes on in this country scares me far more than any misrepresentations in a videogame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Shadowrun,mega-cd i thought there was a fan translation in the works but it's in limbo !?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzt8YU24OU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Shadowrun,mega-cd i thought there was a fan translation in the works but it's in limbo !?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzt8YU24OU
    I mean, we got an update this month...

Translation Progress: ~20%

Team Members: Variable (Editor, programmer, assorted freelance translators)

Script Size: Fairly Average (100-200 pages)

Difficulty: NIGHTMARISH (This is a very, very buggy game, and Sega CD hacking is fairly uncharted territory.)
    If it comes, it'll be a while...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post

If it comes, it'll be a while...
    I was wondering in fact i forgot there was a translation in the works for shadowrun.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Do you have a link to the update you mentioned? The text you quoted is almost three years old:

https://iwakuraproductions.wordpress...-of-the-union/