Thread: The Nintendo Switch Has Too Many Ports

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Angry The Nintendo Switch Has Too Many Ports

So I posted this on a Facebook group:

I am part of an exclusive group that gets discounted Nintendo Switch games. However you can join for free! All you need to do is to make sure that when you buy your Switch games that you mention the discount code, "Wii U." This applies for the following games marked with the Switch icon and is good for a 33% discount or more in some cases! (Note: Games require a Wii U or 3DS to work.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...ds_transition/

Switch is 2Port4You!  (This post was only meant in good fun. I hope you enjoyed it!)
    But sadly, people can't take a joke, even if it is based on the truth. (Or perhaps I should write, "Especially if it is based on the truth.")

I got only one comment, and it was a damned animated GIF. I hate those goddamned things being used as replies! "I can't be bothered to use words or I don't know how to use them. Have some animated thing instead! Let someone else speak for me." Not only that, but these damned things are labeled as "GIF's" when they aren't even GIF's on these social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter - they are MP4's! (I've got animated GIF's and other images disabled on this forum, so even if you post them, I won't see them.)

So what did the GIF say with its images and words?

Hook + fish. This is bait.
    No, it wasn't. It was meant exactly as the words in it say: to be in good fun. That's it, just a reflection of real life with some humor. But no, he couldn't believe someone was being benign and honest, and he couldn't enjoy a little laugh for what it is, instead warning people against my non-existent malicious intent. Thanks for ruining my day, guy.

How many games on the Switch are just ports from another platform? A ton. And a lot of those are by Nintendo itself! As a matter of fact, at least 25 major games are on both Wii U and Switch. And that's not counting the little games and the indie games!

Furthermore, how many games which are identical or nearly identical can be obtained on the Wii U or 3DS for far less than on the Switch? We're talking $60 (Switch, new condition) versus $20 - $40 (3DS and Wii U, new or used condition). You literally can save a lot of money buying for 3DS and/or Wii U instead of Switch. And the savings are even greater when buying the PC version of a game, especially during one of the big holiday sales.

Be a "retro" gamer! Save big bucks! Use that money to buy more games or other nice things!

But how dare I utter such words? Truly they are an affront against the new master! The master is the newness, therefore it is good and only good. Away with you and your old platforms! Speak not against our master with your heresy!

...or something. /shrugs.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Late console entry's get ports. Some ports get bonus features not present in the original release. Those are the 3rd party Switch games I'm interested in most. E.g.
    God Wars: The Complete Legend has 100+ hours of new content, new mechanics and all DLC from God Wars Future Past.
    Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory has all new art, Exemplars, monsters, bosses and challenges not found in the original releases.
    I just purchased Strictly Limited Games Switch port of Velocity 2X for the 16 additional DLC levels.

But to be fair, I've also read reviews of Switch ports that complain of missing features, bad graphics and stuttering frame rates.

Porting Wii U 1st party games to the Switch seems like an obvious cash grab and cheapens the value of my owning a Wii U in the first place. But I do seem to recall that some Wii U ports on the Switch also have additional features and/or game play improvements. I think Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was one of those.

I think a discussion of Switch ports, those that are better and those that are worse, would be an interesting read.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the Wii U ports. A lot of Wii U owners are bitter about investing in a poorly supported system to begin with, and it's like adding insult to injury to strip away its exclusives (even more so for people who own a Switch as well, rendering their Wii U redundant). But if they leave those games exclusive to Wii U, they're going to get complaints from people who don't own Wii Us and don't want to have to buy a failed system to have access to those games.

Personally, as someone who doesn't have a Wii U (nor a Switch, but I have multiple family members who do), I'm happy to have the opportunity to play games like Mario Kart 8 on Switch.

There's also the added bonus that, on top of extra content, a lot of Switch ports run better than the games do on Wii U and certainly much better than any versions on 3DS, which is frankly an extremely weak piece of hardware compared to anything else on the market right now. I mean, the 3DS is significantly weaker than even the Vita, which people often criticize for not being able to run games well compared to their PS3 and PS4 counterparts. The 3DS is perfectly fine for its own exclusives and ports of games that came out prior to the 3DS, but practically no one wants to play a 3DS version of a game they could play on Switch.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Now, my opinion has slightly changed, but it's always been mostly towards the Nintendo hardcore than the console itself.

As a colllector, I don't like ports because if my main console is the PS4, that leaves the Switch with just as few games as the Wii U had for me to purchase, and like Aussie2B stated, as someone who was already burned by the Wii U in the first place with about 10 games to its name, every single Switch port is a slap in the face. The Switch has very few games both indie and AAA that are exclusive to the Switch and even fewer that are at retail. You also have to consider that I don't just buy everything, some of these exclusives might not interest me or are pretty mediocre games, so I'm not going to bother.

For those die hard Nintendo fans, the ones that refuse to purchase anything that isn't Nintendo, the Switch is a great console, because the indie devs or these smaller budget releases are often better than many of the games released by major publishers. Aside from Mega Man 11(which is also on the Switch,) when is the last time you've played a game released by a AAA publisher that was even in the same genre as N++, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero, Dead Cells, etc. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne is amazing, but Salt and Sanctuary takes that game design and releases an absolutely amazing mixture of action RPG and platforming. It's not like Salt and Sanctuary is a tiny game either, the game is pretty massive in size. Hyper Light Drifter is like Zelda without all the power ups but faster and more skill based, allowing the player to tackle the four areas in any order to progress through the game. Furi has you going through an incredibly well designed series of bosses with a quality of game that's imo better than Shadow of the Colossus.

For any Switch owner that doesn't own another console and is never planning on owning another console it doesn't matter, it's got an incredible library where it really matters. For anyone who is interested in one day owning a Switch, especially if you've owned a Wii U before, what's the point? Theres less than 10 games that I can't already get on the PS4.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nintendo consoles sadly only really end up having good games from Nintendo themselves. All of the indie stuff is better on PC, and there are very few indie exclusive games anyway. But Nintendo is doing this really crappy thing where nearly every game they make is either a port or had the bare minimum of effort put into it. I think in the 22 months that the Switch has been out, there have been more months where ports were featured than anything else. The games that aren't ports? Well, they're mostly underwhelming (save Zelda/Mario) because they have this super annoying new way of releasing a game. It goes like this: they release a game that has the absolute bare minimum of content in it, then slowly drip feed the content that should have been in there to start with over the course of a year. Why? Well, one, they probably haven't finished everything and two, because of social media "hype." However, I think this doesn't really work. Who is going to go back to Kirby Star Allies after six months just because "ooh, new character?" Same goes for Splatoon 2/ARMS/Mario Tennis Aces. ARMS completely leaving the public consciousness kind of shows that this doesn't really work.

Nintendo is getting super greedy these days, but they know people will keep buying it. The NSMBU port, a port of a game that isn't even that great, sold amazingly well so they're going to be encouraged. As an aside, (taking this from a Youtuber who talked about this), how does Nintendo/Miyamoto justify keeping the F-Zero/Pilotwings/Wave Race etc franchises dead for so long because "we can't do anything new with them" but have been milking the mediocre at best New Super Mario Bros series for 13+ years?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Nintendo consoles sadly only really end up having good games from Nintendo themselves.
    Except for the NES and SNES consoles, back then there were still exclusive 3rd party games that were well made and not part of an existing franchise from a previous console generation. Plenty of great games from Konami, Capcom, and others from back then.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo has had issues with third-party support on their home consoles since the N64, but even if there isn't the large selection available on, say, a Sony console, every Nintendo system still has some good third-party games. When people talk like Nintendo systems have no worthwhile third-party games, I think it's just a matter of not putting in the effort to actually explore the libraries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

All the Switch gets are inferior ports now. Also even if the game is good, what Nintendo makes is generally better. And it's not surprising: Nintendo knows how to use its underpowered hardware, other companies have consistently wanted to work only on the cutting edge stuff and straight port across, which they cannot do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    When people talk like Nintendo systems have no worthwhile third-party games, I think it's just a matter of not putting in the effort to actually explore the libraries.
    Maybe they don't want to get burnt by all the money they have to waste to find that needle in a haystack? According to Wii owners, the system has dozens of amazing exclusives you can't play anywhere else. I've played a few and I've found them to be merely decent or pretty mediocre. "The best RPG ever made" back it was one of the only RPGs on the Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles, is more like "barely do sht while the game plays for you while you hit enemies with specific cool downs to target their weakness and repeat the same sht over and over." BEST RPG EVER!! The reason this game and others were so amazing were because these people literally had nothing else. If you're desperate for games, you're inclined to make the best with what you have and praise anything that comes out, exclusives have a better chance of being praised more than a third party title simply because they're exclusives and nothing else.

While Xenosaga Chronicles was receiving massive praise, White Knight Chronicles was getting sht all over for being an actual fairly good RPG that felt quite a bit like a mix between an ATB Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star Online. First off it no longer looked like its launch trailer, a massive graphics downgrade, something that never helps(even if it was still a beautiful game) and people focused on your avatar standing in every cutscene with no change of expression being one of the reasons why they rated it worse(really?? WTF?)

//

they release a game that has the absolute bare minimum of content in it, then slowly drip feed the content that should have been in there to start with over the course of a year. Why? Well, one, they probably haven't finished everything and two, because of social media "hype." However, I think this doesn't really work. Who is going to go back to Kirby Star Allies after six months just because "ooh, new character?" Same goes for Splatoon 2/ARMS/Mario Tennis Aces. ARMS completely leaving the public consciousness kind of shows that this doesn't really work.
    I do agree with this, but Splatoon was to be fair, Splatoon was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with a video game, considering that the game was mostly online, I can give it a pass.

But yeah, Nintendo is releasing many of their games unfinished and then adding the content in as "free updates." This extends to its single player games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which had a pretty substantial amount of patches that added content after launch. Nintendo is taking the worst ideas in gaming culture and going all out, so yeah, not much from them that I'm purchasing outside of the ports, Mario Odyssey and Octopath(not Nintendo, just exclusive.)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's not the 80s anymore. It's not like there's no option but to buy games blindly based on the cover art. There is tons of easy accessible info on worthwhile third-party games on Nintendo consoles, and it's on each person to get in touch with their own gaming tastes so that they can get a feel on if a popular game would be appealing to them too. General consensus should not be taken as a guarantee, regardless of if it's a first-party or third-party game. But general consensus can steer you toward what's worth looking into, so you're not wasting time wondering if Imagine Party Babyz is good.

My top two favorite N64 games are third-party (Goemon's Great Adventure and Wonder Project J2). One of my favorite GameCube games is third-party (Baten Kaitos). The Wii has games from Sega, Capcom, XSEED, Atlus, Bandai Namco, Natsume, Square Enix, Konami, etc., and I think one would have to be extremely picky and/or anti-modern(ish) games to not find anything they like among them. So I stand by my statement that all Nintendo consoles have good third-party games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I do agree with this, but Splatoon was to be fair, Splatoon was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with a video game, considering that the game was mostly online, I can give it a pass.

But yeah, Nintendo is releasing many of their games unfinished and then adding the content in as "free updates." This extends to its single player games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which had a pretty substantial amount of patches that added content after launch. Nintendo is taking the worst ideas in gaming culture and going all out, so yeah, not much from them that I'm purchasing outside of the ports, Mario Odyssey and Octopath(not Nintendo, just exclusive.)
    Splatoon 2 had basically no content when it launched. They drip fed it to keep hype up. The new Mario Party game has fewer boards than the N64 games. ARMS was basically nothing, and they ended up adding what amounted to nothing. Relatedly, the Switch is going to go through a major dry spell soon unless something new is announced, there is one Q1 release from Nintendo so far and there is no major third-party release coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hardly anyone bought a Wii U. Hell, it was the first console I just skipped outright and don't really intend to buy unless a ridiculously cheap bundle falls into my lap. Even then, I think my ownership would be short-lived.

The library was a little limited and the price never really went south until Nintendo axed the system and replaced it.

At this point, port the damn library of whatever's worthwhile. Why Mario Maker is still sitting there not printing money is beyond me. It would be the only game left I would want to buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    Hardly anyone bought a Wii U. Hell, it was the first console I just skipped outright and don't really intend to buy unless a ridiculously cheap bundle falls into my lap. Even then, I think my ownership would be short-lived.

The library was a little limited and the price never really went south until Nintendo axed the system and replaced it.

At this point, port the damn library of whatever's worthwhile. Why Mario Maker is still sitting there not printing money is beyond me. It would be the only game left I would want to buy.
    13 million people did. It's not a lot, sure, but it's not nothing. And you can buy one for under $130. If all you really want is ports of Wii U games, just buy a Wii U and the games for cheap. The Switch ports rarely add anything of value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's probably only one Wii U game I could possibly want left to port.

I have a Switch, I don't have a Wii U. I have no justifiable reason to ever get one.
    -Me and everyone with half a brain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    -Me and everyone with half a brain
    The Wii U did actually have some good games, and there was always potential for a system seller like the DS Player, something that never came into existence. Nintendo just released an overpriced console and wouldn't budge on the price until it was way too late. Start offering a free game with a $50 price drop at the end of its life? Way too late Nintendo.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

13 million people did. It's not a lot, sure, but it's not nothing. And you can buy one for under $130. If all you really want is ports of Wii U games, just buy a Wii U and the games for cheap. The Switch ports rarely add anything of value.
    They add the portability factor. Some people may not care about that but to others its huge. Being able to play a full console anywhere certainly trumps Wii U's 30ft range

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    My top two favorite N64 games are third-party (Goemon's Great Adventure and Wonder Project J2).
    Just about the only N64 game that looked interesting to me was Wonder Project J2, but look more specifically at what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Except for the NES and SNES consoles, back then there were still exclusive 3rd party games that were well made and not part of an existing franchise from a previous console generation. Plenty of great games from Konami, Capcom, and others from back then.
    Both of your favourite N64 games are sequels to existing franchises from earlier consoles. That doesn't mean they're bad, but a bit less original than I'd be hoping for. Basically I wouldn't get an N64 for Mario Kart 64 when I'm still happy with Super Mario Kart. If I'd be counting the SNES the same way I'd have to exclude LTTP, Super Metroid, and Castlevania IV as sequels too and only Castlevania IV is 3rd party from what I briefly listed. Plus Wonder Project J2 isn't even available in North America in English so I can't easily play it on a real console.

I don't hate the Gamecube or anything, it's the one Nintendo console post SNES that I actually like for what's officially available for it. I have Wii consoles but I don't use them, I only picked them up while thinking of modding them. I think there was a European Wii game I wanted to play awhile ago(which is a sequel to a DS game), but of course there's hoops to jump through to actually play it in North America. Most actual Wii games just don't look interesting enough to me, I would have to force myself to find games to play on it. I still have N64 stuff but I was planning on trading those games eventually, mostly for Genesis/SNES stuff as I can't find old games too easily anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Maybe they don't want to get burnt by all the money they have to waste to find that needle in a haystack?
    That's why you're supposed to be pirating games to try them out.

Look at Wonder Project J2 which is one of the few good N64 games, it was only sold in Japan in Japanese. If I wanted to play it in English, I'd have to patch a ROM and use an expensive flash cart to play it on a real N64 console. The practical solution would be to use an N64 emulator to play it, not actually use a real system and a real copy of the game. They didn't make it easy to play good games in North America.

The Wii is apparently easy enough to pirate games for. Personally I don't want to bother wasting hard drive space for games when so few look interesting, I'd rather track down original games instead as there's not many I'd want to bother with. And by track down I mean wait until I find them for dirt cheap at a yard sale or something.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My initial post about third-party support on Nintendo systems was mostly in response to Tupin's statement that "Nintendo consoles sadly only really end up having good games from Nintendo themselves."

Personally, I don't really care if third-party games are exclusives or within existing franchises. If someone wants to play a multiplatform game, they have to pick some system to play it on. It doesn't make sense to me when people talk like a multiplatform "doesn't count" or doesn't have value being on one platform, when they obviously think it counts for some other platform they preferred to play it on. If it counts for one, it counts for all. As for existing franchises, I'm sure every generation has fewer brand-new IPs, just given the age of the industry. It would've been pretty hard for a system that debuted in the 80s, like the NES, to get a lot of sequels when the industry was barely a decade old, it was Nintendo's first console, and a lot of the developers were only recently founded. You can't build off of existing IPs when you don't have little in the way of any IPs yet. Either way, there has been tons of experimentation with existing IPs over the history of the industry, and there have also been tons of new IPs that are just copycats of other popular IPs. So I don't see if a game belongs to an existing IP or not as a particularly telling sign of its originality, let alone if it's good.

I mean, Mario Kart 64 plays massively different from Super Mario Kart, if only by the change from 2D to 3D. Mario Kart 64 still has my favorite battle mode in any game ever, whereas I only begrudgingly agree when someone wants me to play Super Mario Kart's battle mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aussie2b View Post
    mario kart 64 plays worse than super mario kart
    ftfy.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Ubisoft is porting Child Of Light & Valiant Hearts as a double pack to the Switch. I don't believe Valiant Hearts: The Great War ever had a physical console release before this and the war themed puzzle adventure game is something that I would really be interested in. But I kinda had my hopes up about getting to play the "Ultimate Edition" Child Of Light on a big screen TV, that is until I came across this review of the Switch port.

"This brings me to a major drawback of the Nintendo Switch version. There is an issue with the frame rate for some reason, which runs completely unlocked. I am not quite convinced if it runs at locked 30 FPS or unlocked 60 FPS, but you can feel the speed of the game changing when moving from one place to the next. There is a slight lag added to the input and mild stutter, which is noticeable. It is disappointing to see that here because this is almost 4 years old game by now, that on top runs on the last generation platforms."
    https://gearnuke.com/child-of-light-...review-switch/

I'm going to pick this one up anyway, but the Switch is becoming a minefield of under powered games. So buyer beware.