Thread: Nintendo Switch Pro

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Nintendo Switch Pro

A Nintendo Switch Pro has been reported to be in development by the Wall Street Journal for 2019. It is expected to result in a dual marketplace of either regular Switch and Switch Pro or a Switch Lite and Switch Pro being sold in retail stores. The non-Pro would be the "budget" variant.

TOKYO—Nintendo Co. plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year (2018).
    So is this a good thing, a bad thing, or just the usual Nintendo thing? Personally, I'd be in favor for a price drop for the regular Switch or a sub-$300 Switch Lite!

Sources:
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...sions_for_2019
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintend...ear-1538629322

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I miss the days when the most revisions a home console would get would just be aesthetic, like a smaller footprint or different color, or would actually be a downgrade for the budget version, like the NES losing composite and the SNES losing s-video, rather than a new model rendering the older model inferior, punishing early adopters. It's not a huge issue with handhelds, since they're cheaper than home consoles to begin with, but pushing people to buy the same home console at MSRP multiple times over in the same gen is just too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

What is it with companies fracturing their market? What would be the benefit? Then the next question would be would the Pro get software that can't run on the standard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

An enhanced version beyond some kind of Deluxe model with a better build at a steeper price seems like a terrible idea. As others pointed out, splitting their installed base up is a dumb move.

A deluxe model or a budget/remodeled version focused on portability seems like the way to go to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

They need to fix the controller

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I thought the only real plan was for the Switch Mini, not a Switch Pro. Though I think both are inevitable. Keep in mind though that the New 3DS had maybe four games that were exclusives. I think if a Pro ever comes out, it will be more like the actual PS4 Pro. I don't think there are any games that can't run on a regular PS4, just has advanced modes. But a Switch Mini seems like a safe bet.