Thread: Kickstarter for a Next Gen DC Pad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Kickstarter for a Next Gen DC Pad

Retro Fighters launched a kickstarter for a new DC pad and it's already fully funded. Campaign looks alright to me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ast-controller

https://segascream.com/retro-fighter...st-controller/

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Looks a little more comfortable grip-wise, but the d-pad looks too low and the analog stick too high. Hopefully the d-pad doesn't stick up out of the controller like a skyscraper like on the official controller. If I played Dreamcast more often, I'd probably be interested, since the official DC controller is easily one of my most hated controllers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The dreamcast controller isn't my favorite but I don't see the point of this, it's design might be slightly more comfortable but it's the exact same design with a turbo button and extra triggers for whatever reason

I actually found the dreamcast controller way easier to get use to than the n64 or gamecube controllers, I managed the beat the great giana sisters remake with it, which isn't a hard game but requires a lot of precision jumping

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Great, now that there's a decent controller available for the Dreamcast there just needs to be some actual good games made to play on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Great, now that there's a decent controller available for the Dreamcast there just needs to be some actual good games made to play on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kvd50k3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	10606

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	10607

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The Dreamcast already had the best controller ever made: the ASCii Stick FT.
    Zero Gunner 2, Gunbird 2, Radirgy, Border Down, Rez, Under Defeat, Gunspike, etc
    There is no better system or controller than the Dreamcast paired with the ASCii Stick FT.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Koa Zo For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (02-19-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    The Dreamcast already had the best controller ever made: the ASCii Stick FT.
    Zero Gunner 2, Gunbird 2, Radirgy, Border Down, Rez, Under Defeat, Gunspike, etc
    There is no better system or controller than the Dreamcast paired with the ASCii Stick FT.
    So the best Dreamcast stuff was mostly just sold in Japan. And is all Shmups or arcade ports. Usually both. With most of these being also available on other platforms too.

I'm ok with Shmups but I mostly prefer the ones on the Turbografx and Genesis, and I have to be in the mood for them. Of the ones you listed only Border Down and Gunspike/Cannon Spike are still Dreamcast exclusives, and only Cannon Spike was released in North America. And both are arcade ports.

I tend to view the Dreamcast as someone who lives in North America. There's not much on it worth playing that's easily obtainable. The best game I'm aware of is Elemental Gimmick Gear and it's still somewhat flawed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I tend to view the Dreamcast as someone who lives in North America. There's not much on it worth playing that's easily obtainable.
    Huh? So you choose to wear blinders?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Huh? So you choose to wear blinders?
    I mean games that aren't in Japanese. If there's good games like RPGs or anything with a story and they're in Japanese so I can't understand what's going on or how to navigate the menus then I can't play them. I meant obtainable as in easy to be able to play, it's probably not the best/right word but I couldn't think of anything else when I said that. Probably should have just said accessible. Of course not being easy to buy in North America certainly doesn't help make the console more appealing or accessible in my eyes either. It's an issue I have with the PC Engine as well, there's a lot of good games that got stuck in Japan and I just can't play them, but I still like the Turbografx/PC Engine even with the more limited games I actually can play.

And your joystick was only sold in Japan too. It's just like the Hori Super Gameboy controller for Super Famicom or Hori Gameboy Player controller for Gamecube, I don't own either but still want them eventually. I'm just getting tired of all the stuff that's not easily accessible. Imagine if there was a great controller designed for a console that basically worked perfectly but it only made it to prototype form and there's just one made, should I even consider it as a great controller if there's no chance of ever owning one? I have sticks for other consoles but I rarely use them anyway over regular style controllers. ASCii does make good stuff though.

Also I don't really care much about modern style Shmups which seems to be the main fanbase of Dreamcast collectors. I don't care much about one on one fighting games either as they're all about memorizing combos. There's some games on the system that sort of look interesting to me like D2 or Illbleed but I've never been drawn enough to them to try tracking them down, watching videos of the gameplay they just look alright but not great. Honestly I forgot about them and just started looking up Dreamcast games now to remember what's on the system.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Dreamcast is and has always been chalky dogshit.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

At this point, when it comes to retro gaming, Japanese systems, accessories, and games are often cheaper and more plentiful than the US stuff. You aren't likely to find Japanese stuff at thrift stores or what have you, but with how picked over the US side of the hobby is, you aren't likely to find good US stuff at thrift stores these days either. So if you have little option but to shop online either way, it's no great hurdle to buy imports. Nowadays, most of the time when I'm buying retro games, they're imports, specifically because they're more easily obtainable. US retro games come at a premium I'm not willing to pay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (02-19-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    At this point, when it comes to retro gaming, Japanese systems, accessories, and games are often cheaper and more plentiful than the US stuff.
    Except for the Dreamcast where the most expensive games for the console are the Japanese exclusives. With most of the "better" ones in the $100-$200 range. For the games also available in the US, yes the Japanese versions are cheaper. But the games already available in the US are pretty much crap or much more easily available on other consoles, like Resident Evil Code Veronica, Ikaruga, or Rez. Sometimes just being able to go into a local game store and seeing what they have in stock is nice, you can find North American games for most consoles pretty easily even if overpriced, but seeing imports isn't as common.

Honestly if I just wanted to play the games I could just burn them to disc so cost isn't really an issue, I've never done that as I actually want legit copies of games I like and it feels like a waste of blank CD-Rs. I haven't found anything that interested me enough to think about downloading a copy. It's why I just sold off the consoles I had and I still don't miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I've actually just looked up gameplay videos of Illbleed to refresh my memory of it, why did I even consider this as a possible decent game? A youtube comment sums it up best, "You want to like this game but it truly isn't enjoyable."

Even the hardware itself is kind of crap, I remember having to repair several consoles because they randomly reset due to the poorly designed connections for the power supply. They're just pins sticking up through the board, they cheaped out instead of having a proper connector. This was back when I could still buy bundles or collections of games locally and sometimes Dreamcast consoles with games were included with whatever else I was buying. Every time I ended up with consoles I tried giving them another chance, and just sold them off to be rid of them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    The Dreamcast is great. Very underappreciated system. I want to know the justification for the hatred for it.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WelcomeToTheNextLevel For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (02-19-2019)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm the last person to defend the Dreamcast, since I'm no big fan of it myself, but even I think it's ridiculously hyperbolic to talk as if there are no good games on it at all. Frankly, some people come off like they don't enjoy this hobby much in general, with how they consistently have almost nothing positive to say about anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    The Dreamcast is great. Very underappreciated system. I want to know the justification for the hatred for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm the last person to defend the Dreamcast, since I'm no big fan of it myself, but even I think it's ridiculously hyperbolic to talk as if there are no good games on it at all. Frankly, some people come off like they don't enjoy this hobby much in general, with how they consistently have almost nothing positive to say about anything.
    Well I'm not sure why Bratwurst doesn't like it but for me, I've just never had fun with it at all. I keep hearing from plenty of collectors how the Dreamcast is one of or arguably the greatest console ever made, yet I haven't been able to find a single game that I've really enjoyed on it at all. The system came out when I was around 11 and even then I didn't like it, same with the N64 at the time. I just don't get why there's so much love for it when I can't find anything worth playing on it. The hardware doesn't do anything to impress me either. I've personally had more fun with Virtual Boy games than Dreamcast titles, at least the Virtual Boy tried something new when it came out with being actual 3D so I can ignore it's shortcomings. I really tried with Shenmue as I specifically wanted to play it and specifically sought out a system to do so, but was just disappointed in the end.

I can remember visiting EB Games at the mall and they still had various kiosks back then for people to play. There were always lines for the PS2, but not the Dreamcast. I can remember playing a few Dreamcast games, mostly Space Channel 5, Toy Commander, and Crazy Taxi. I would usually give up after a few minutes as Space Channel 5 was awful and Toy Commander was ok but got boring real quick. The missions in Toy Commander just felt slow to play through. Crazy Taxi was ok for a few minutes but got boring or annoying after that. Later on, with stuff like Resident Evil Code Veronica, Ecco Defender of the Future, Sonic Adventure, I would play these on other systems like the PS2 or Gamecube and they're really just decent games but not that special. I do remember some of the PS2 games I played on the kiosk back then, mostly Metal Gear Solid 2 or Onimusha and they were fun. I actually should get the Onimusha games as I never bought them for some reason, I guess I never came across them at a thrift or yard sale.

I basically joined this site for classic systems, mostly stuff pre-PS2. I have little interest in modern games besides the odd new entry, but can sometimes find decent console titles with plenty more on portables or the PC. Really with the PS2 or Gamecube maybe there's 20-30 titles each I could find worth playing, which is enough for me to keep the systems. I've outgrown a lot of stuff in the hobby so I'm much more selective with games than I used to be, it's harder to get engrossed in games with bad stories or mediocre gameplay or poor controls so I tend to avoid them now as there's plenty of other stuff I could be doing instead.

I'm also harsher on games post-PS1 era by default. By that point game hardware was powerful enough to not cry how hardware limitations prevented games from turning out how they were originally envisioned. With Atari through the 16-bit era, I can see how some games ended up being limited due to the hardware so I can overlook some shortcomings in games and still have fun with them, I can accept my character being a literal dot in Atari stuff, and just having wireframe graphics on the Vectrex, and having slowdown or a limited number of onscreen enemies in NES games, and poor 3D games being on 16 bit consoles. Once the PS1 came out, that set benchmarks to how modern games would function. Beyond that, it was mostly just graphical upgrades. A game can still look visually poor compared to todays graphics but the way it controls, the way the plot and characters are designed and written, and the way it plays in general should all be good. If a game in 2D or 3D can work and be fun on the PS1, anything beyond that should also work as more powerful hardware would only make things easier. Any shortcomings in gameplay, bad cameras, or controls would reflect on the developers skills and design, not on the hardware.