Thread: Best way of removing fine scratches and scuffs from cases

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Best way of removing fine scratches and scuffs from cases

Anyone know what the best way of making a case look like brand new is? Obviously you can retrobright it to get rid of yellowing and WD40 will polish up the case nicely but I'm look for a way of removing the really fine scratches that show the consoles age? I've heard that using a cream cleaner like cif/jif works as it has micro-particles so acts as a very light abrasive.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What cases are you talking about? PS2/Gamecube/Genesis type cases or PS1/Saturn/Sega CD type cases?

As far as I know, you can't remove them once they're beat up. Maybe I'm wrong though, I have heard of plastic polish like Novus that can remove scratches from some types of plastic like headlights or similar materials.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I had leftover materials from using a 3M Automobile headlight 'renewal' kit (or whatever it is called) and used that on some CDs. The results were well beyond what I thought possible, better than all but the best experiences I've had with professional disc polishing services that video rental stores used to offer. I'd think it would work well on hard cases like for the SegaCD, etc.

Since you mention retrobrite, I guess you are talking about console shells? Not sure the right term for that, but cases is going to make people think of game cases. For consoles a lot of them have texture, so there isn't much way to do those without removing the texture, but say for the smooth style NES, I think the above mentioned 3M kit might work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I had leftover materials from using a 3M Automobile headlight 'renewal' kit (or whatever it is called) and used that on some CDs. The results were well beyond what I thought possible, better than all but the best experiences I've had with professional disc polishing services that video rental stores used to offer. I'd think it would work well on hard cases like for the SegaCD, etc.

Since you mention retrobrite, I guess you are talking about console shells? Not sure the right term for that, but cases is going to make people think of game cases. For consoles a lot of them have texture, so there isn't much way to do those without removing the texture, but say for the smooth style NES, I think the above mentioned 3M kit might work.
    Ha! Yes, I do mean the consoles themselves! I guess I deal will PCs too much and fall back to using the term "case".

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I thought you meant game cases, not console shells. Very different things.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I thought you meant game cases, not console shells. Very different things.
    Yes, apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The technical name for electronics in general is 'enclosure', though I don't think I've ever heard it used for game consoles.

As far as removing scratches, I'd research to find what type of plastic it was, then research how to remove scratches from that specific type of plastic. But yeah, if it's textured them I'm not sure how you would do it.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...