Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Stadia (was "Google set to announce next-generation console at GDC - Rumored partnership with SEGA")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Exclamation Google Stadia (was "Google set to announce next-generation console at GDC - Rumored partnership with SEGA")

Join us March 19, 2019 10AM PDT live at https://g.co/gdcreveal19 as we unveil Google’s vision for the future of gaming.

Links:

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-rev...-announcement/
    https://gamerant.com/sega-new-console-google-2019/
    https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...dc-1203161443/
    https://www.thegamer.com/rumor-sega-google-console/
    https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/fe...ppears-online/

Resetera and NeoGAF discussions:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/goo...teaser.104899/
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-...rosoft.104439/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/googl...-2019.1473462/
    https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumor...nsole.1473408/
    https://www.neogaf.com/threads/googl...rvice.1473345/

Some people think this could be a cheap device and a controller that plays games by streaming-only.
    Others think it be a real, physical console hardware. Or both.

Thoughts? I'd be interested for any exclusive Sega games, whatever Google's effort turns out to be.
    Last edited by Nz17; 06-06-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: reflects official name

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Knowing Google, all the games will be free but the device will record all your conversations and a camera installed will monitor what clothes youre wearing and what items are in your house so as to gauge what advertisements you are forced to watch every 5 minutes during gameplay.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

{Skip ad in 5 seconds... 4... 3... 2... 1... Click.}

Well, I'll tell you what I think about the idea of a new Google-created gaming console.

{Install aPirate anti-malware on your phone today from Google Play. [X] Click.}

Whatever it ends up being, I bet that, other than the console and its controllers, that it'll be a digital-only offering. And hopefully Google won't kill it off as quickly as it has killed off some of its other Google software, hardware, and services which it once used to offer.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    {Skip ad in 5 seconds... 4... 3... 2... 1... Click.}

Well, I'll tell you what I think about the idea of a new Google-created gaming console.

{Install aPirate anti-malware on your phone today from Google Play. [X] Click.}

Whatever it ends up being, I bet that, other than the console and its controllers, that it'll be a digital-only offering. And hopefully Google won't kill it off as quickly as it has killed off some of its other Google software, hardware, and services which it once used to offer.
    Digital only meaning obsolete/worthless in five years.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    It just needs to be hacked, like the recent NES/SNES/PS1 plug and plays. I wouldn't pay for any additional games on a digital only device, not today anyway.

I kind of think it would be cool to play something like the Sega Channel or Satellaview now specifically for the unique content that's essentially lost today, but I don't really have much interest in modern games besides the odd PC title so a modern type of download service doesn't interest me.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Not really. I would liken it to having a large 4K UHD or Blu Ray collection and also subscribing to Netflix. You can be a movie lover and do both, just like you can be a collector of physical games and also enjoy digital games.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

It looks like the Google talk might be about their console named or code-named "Yeti," and that it is a cloud-based video-game streaming console. I hope you don't plan to truly own your games and that you have a high-speed (25 mbps or faster) Internet connection!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/17/goog...ectations.html

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It looks like the Google talk might be about their console named or code-named "Yeti," and that it is a cloud-based video-game streaming console. I hope you don't plan to truly own your games and that you have a high-speed (25 mbps or faster) Internet connection!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/17/goog...ectations.html
    Not everything has to be owned. I have a large collection, but I have some licensed digital games too. Sometimes it's ok to just enjoy something in the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I hope you don't plan to truly own your games
    To truly own a game you either have to make it yourself or buy the rights to it. What you get when you buy a game is a limited license to play the game. When you buy a physical game you get to own the case, disc, etc... but the game itself is owned by the rights holder.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Oof, that does indeed look wretched.

As for yet another anti-modern, anti-digital conversation springing up, I honestly wonder why some members even bother clicking on the "Modern Gaming" section.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 03-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Hey, look...something physical to collect!
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Low activity or not, I don't see value in immersing myself in things I dislike or have no interest in and being a fountain of negativity. I dislike 99% of gaming videos on Youtube, so I don't even bother clicking on the Gaming Videos section. I could talk about how I can't stand various mega-popular Youtube channels, but I don't want to be the person raining on the parade of those who do like them. Likewise, I barely touch computer games, so I don't waste my time going into the Computer Gaming section.

I couldn't speak for before 2004, but in all my time here, the regulars have always embraced modern gaming. Like the section description says: "As we always say: it doesn't have to be OLD to be CLASSIC." Over the years, I've noticed many regulars would mostly play modern games, while they'd collect, not so much play, retro games. Me, my playing is probably more like 80% retro and 20% modern, though it fluctuates. But whatever floats anybody's boat is fine, and they can talk about whatever they please around here, as long as it's in the appropriate section and not trolling. The Modern Gaming section is hardly a comprehensive look at what's coming out these days, so the lessened activity has hit the entire board.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not going to steal from content creators just because they don't make physical options of certain content available. Like I said, I have a large collection of physical media, but I don't agree that streaming media has zero value and stealing something digitally is no different than shoplifting physical media.
    I agree wholeheartedly with that. I don't get the sense of entitlement that so many people have these days, that if something isn't released 100% exactly as they'd like it, whether that's on their preferred platform or in their preferred format or what have you, then suddenly it's fair game to steal other people's hard work. Either buy the thing or pass on it entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I agree with the Yeti...or whatever it will be called, will most likely be download or streaming. It just fits with Google's push for everyone to have a digital, online lifestyle...under Google.

As for the more conversations about modern games back in the early-to-mid 2000's: there was a lot of cool stuff going on. IMO the games were in between old style game play with fresh visuals along with some decent multiplayer online gaming. Heck, each month for a while I would post what was on each month's demo disc of Official Xbox Magazine. At that point in time, retro seemed kinda quiet.

These days, retro/classic is exploding. We have great, viable ways to get our classic on, we're getting more new titles on "dead" consoles and we're getting new modern consoles that are great replacements for our aging equipment. If this stuff happened then rather than now, the modern to classic chatter would have probably flip-flopped.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/1...ement-gdc-2019

Supposedly they're making exclusives too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tupin For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-19-2019)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

It's called Google Stadia. I might try it if the price is right. Here's a truncated video of the most important parts of the presentation courtesy of Engadget.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    A new documentary came out.

Actually related to the topic, the controller got leaked and looks awful.

god that looks soo bad

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Don't worry, bb_hood, that isn't the final design. The Engadget video shows the final three designs which are much better. I personally like the white controller the best, the black one is too generic for me, and the sea-green one looks bad in my eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Don't worry, bb_hood, that isn't the final design. The Engadget video shows the final three designs which are much better. I personally like the white controller the best, the black one is too generic for me, and the sea-green one looks bad in my eyes.
    I hope you're right. That thing looks less like a controller and more like a generic, cutesy caricature some graphic designer cooked up so he could talk about gaming without getting C and D'd. Those protuberances at either end look uncomfortable to boot.

Anyway, I'm not even sure how this beast is going to create interest, much less become a competitive entry in the market. Come bundled with a game-maker that exploits GIS so would-be devs can steal assets faster than ever before?

I can see the partnership with Sega. This does sound an awful lot like the kind of quixotic denial of reality that Sega adores.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

This article answered some of the latency questions I had...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/20/wh...ming-platform/

The article states <70ms...supposedly good enough for most people, IFF you live near one of their datacenters that is. For anyone else it's a no go.