Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poorly rated games you like

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Star Trek Conquest-not a highly rated game. As a strategy game fan I love it. Each faction plays differently. I do automated battles because I can't fly the ships worth a dam but whatever. If you like Star Trek and strategy games give it a try.

Centurion Defender of Rome-As a big Genesis fan and strategy game fan there are lots of highly rated games for the system.Herzog Zwei, Master of Monsters, Warsong come to mind. No one ever talks about Centurion. Love the theme. Starting with one legion and spreading out and building an empire. Your moral is low? Well I guess you had better spend some gold and hold some games to entertain the masses to avoid a revolt. I love when you enter a new territory you start negotiations with the leader. Want to be all nice and hope they submit? Rarely happens so I'm often rude and wipe their army out anyways. Game is turn based but the battles are kinda in real-time(You can pause play) I got this game shortly after it came out(yes I'm old lol) and try and play it once a year.
    Last edited by Bighab; 04-19-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I remember this was asked before, every time it comes up I mention Bebe's Kids. Still it seems like I'm the only one who likes this game.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...bsolutely-love
    https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...ou-know-of-any

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...bebes-kids.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bighab View Post

Centurion Defender of Rome-As a big Genesis fan and strategy game fan there are lots of highly rated games for the system.Herzog Zwei, Master of Monsters, Warsong come to mind. No one ever talks about Centurion. Love the theme. Starting with one legion and spreading out and building an empire. Your moral is low? Well I guess you had better spend some gold and hold some games to entertain the masses to avoid a revolt. I love when you enter a new territory you start negotiations with the leader. Want to be all nice and hope they submit? Rarely happens so I'm often rude and wipe their army out anyways. Game is turn based but the battles are kinda in real-time(You can pause play) I got this game shortly after it came out(yes I'm old lol) and try and play it once a year.
    I always get a somewhat perverse enjoyment when you get elephants and they squash the enemy troops.

Gemfire is often criticised for being simplistic. It is. But it is the perfect filler when you don't want to invest a lot of time in a game - you can always finish a game in a night or two.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A few responses here made me think of Star Trek: Shattered Universe. Horribly balanced, it has 20-something levels but #4 is nearly impossible to get past, it's so insanely hard. And yet it's a style of game I loved and being a Trek fan I kept going until I beat it. I went into many a rage that made me think I would pop a blood vessel in my brain. I did grow to love it once I powered my ships up to get past level 4 easily, but you only get that powerful well into the game, not at level 4.

South Park Rally on the Dreamcast was another one that was panned, people saying the tracks were confusing and poorly laid out. And yet I loved the crap out of it. I never unlocked all the levels, since some of the game modes were nightmarishly hard to complete, but there was a lot of replay value with a lot of the games. I wish I could get it working properly in emulation so I could play it again.

Star Wars: Demolition is another game from the dark days of Lucasarts when they'd slap their name onto any dreck they could. And yet, I can't tell you how many hours I've logged with this game. They reworked the Vigilante 8: Second Offense game engine and beefed up the special attacks along with tweaks to make it play smoother. I love vehicular combat games, so the Star Wars veneer doesn't matter to me, it's the core gameplay that I love.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know one that always gets rather crapped on that I loved was Granstream Saga on PS1 - sure the 3D models as spooky no-faces and the anime cut scenes had, like, 240x160 resolution but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also, whoever said Beyond the Beyond in this thread - you poor soul. That was also my first RPG I ever owned and even I rage quit that at age 14. Oof.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AB Positive For This Useful Post:

WulfeLuer (06-03-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

To be fair, a lot of bad games are fun while drinking. Here's a couple. . .

Caveman Games - NES
    Custer's Revenge - Atari 2600
    Mr. Mosquito (bicycle mini game) - PS2
    Eye Toy - PS3

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The game is infinitely better than the movie it's based on. I don't know if you ever watched it or not, but it's really bad. One of the many lessons it tries to teach kids is that it's ok to ignore rules you don't like or agree with because they weren't fair rules anyway. What makes them not fair? Apparently if you don't like them, it means they weren't fair. That's it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Link: The Faces of Evil - CD-i

Even though I had played every Zelda game prior and have played every one since I still liked this steaming pile of dog doo. Can't explain why it's just got a certain kind of craptacular charm.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

^I enjoyed Link: Faces of Evil. It's janky and frustrating but also quite forgiving, and the fact that I was able to beat it with an infrared controller (!) indicates that it's a lot more playable than people claim it is. Some of the backgrounds are quite lovely to look at.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So, I haven't played much of this one but I took a taste of Strider Returns: Journey From Darkness and wondering already, is this game as bad as people say it is?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Most of the ones I like that are more low rated are on more recent consoles, like Fragile Dreams on Wii, Monster Rancher 3 on PS2, or Digimon World 4 on Gamecube.

The only older game I can really think of liking that isn't highly rated was honestly also Link: Faces of Evil. I played it recently with a friend, and honestly? We had a blast. The controls were clunky, the game is damn weird, and it plays like an adventure game more than a Zelda, but once you know what's going on, it's actually quite fun. I'm sure it does help that I'm a big Zelda fan, though. All I know is, I expected to hate it but ended up beating it. I also will probably end up beating the second game at some point.

Edit: I just realized I've also been a fan of the licensed Beyblade games, mostly just due to nostalgia from growing up with the series as a kid. The ones I've played most were the two on GBA and the GC game. I guess the GBA games might count here? Ones a decent isometric maze collectathon game that's actually pretty great. The other is a bad JRPG, lol.
    Last edited by pichuscute; 06-01-2019 at 03:39 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pichuscute For This Useful Post:

goldenband (06-02-2019)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, man, that makes me think of the Beyblade game I recently beat on PlayStation. It was terrible, but at least it was entertaining.

The announcer was so amazingiy mush-mouthed and incongruous! "What a weak launch! Well! Well! Well! (pause) Well! Unbelievable! What's happening here?! Wow! Wow! Wow!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Oh, man, that makes me think of the Beyblade game I recently beat on PlayStation. It was terrible, but at least it was entertaining.

The announcer was so amazingiy mush-mouthed and incongruous! "What a weak launch! Well! Well! Well! (pause) Well! Unbelievable! What's happening here?! Wow! Wow! Wow!"
    Haha. I briefly had the PS1 game as a kid, but didn't understand it so ended up getting rid of it. I do believe they use some of that same announcer in the Gamecube game, though. And it's just about as weird there, too. Gotta pick that one back up at some point... since I'm getting a bit of a collection going (will probably end up with all the Beyblade games eventually lol).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Montrealer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    3DS Friend
    0061-4887-4074

I'm a 3DO fan so most of the games I enjoy on there aren't considered good, save a few obvious key titles.

I like Seicross on NES.
    Romance of the 3 kingdoms 2 on any platform (SNES being the one I owned and played the most)
    Destiny of an Emperor on NES
    <---- Mighty Bomb Jack

.... come to think of it, it's not so much that these games are considered bad rather they get 0 recognition as good titles.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
    I'm a 3DO fan so most of the games I enjoy on there aren't considered good, save a few obvious key titles.

I like Seicross on NES.
    Romance of the 3 kingdoms 2 on any platform (SNES being the one I owned and played the most)
    Destiny of an Emperor on NES
    <---- Mighty Bomb Jack

.... come to think of it, it's not so much that these games are considered bad rather they get 0 recognition as good titles.
    I was about to say, "Aren't Destiny of an Emperor and Romance of the Three Kingdoms II considered good games?" I could see the latter being seen as inferior to the later installments (I don't remember III and I never played IV at all, but I recall after that the series got so complicated it was unplayable)

Also I just found out that apparently reviewers used to hate the Splatterhouse games. What the hell?