Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default Another cash-in? Sega announces Genesis/Mega Drive Mini

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/30/se...-in-september/

I know that Sega has been producing their Flashback consoles through AtGames for the past several years, but this looks like it was meant as an answer to the NES/SNES Classic Mini (and again, a less-than-inventive name). Supposed to offer 40 built-in games (nothing mentioned about playing actual cartridges, as with the AtGames offerings), with the following having been announced thus far:

• Ecco the Dolphin
    • Castlevania: Bloodlines
    • Space Harrier II
    • Shining Force
    • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
    • ToeJam & Earl
    • Comix Zone
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Altered Beast
    • Gunstar Heroes

Release is set for September 19th, and the US price has been set at $80. Another article about it can be found here, and Sega's own page about the Mega Drive Mini (in Japanese) can be found here.
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 03-30-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Decent selection of games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Agreed, pretty good selection, and 40 games is a decent amount.

I wonder if the presence of Castlevania: Bloodlines on this means Konami might skip including Bloodlines on the Castlevania collection they're putting out.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Awesome this will be a nice way to round out my mini console collection. Now if they would just release a TG-16 mini....
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This was technically announced last year, but has been greatly delayed. Looks very nice, and will pick one up. Personally I prefer the 3-button pads being included. Hopefully the emulation is spot on.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    This was technically announced last year, but has been greatly delayed. Looks very nice, and will pick one up. Personally I prefer the 3-button pads being included. Hopefully the emulation is spot on.
    Yeah, one thing I find promising about this Mini is that Sega finally decided to not take the lazy way out and release still another crappy clone through AtGames as they've been doing for several years now. Apparently that's what caused the delay; Sega originally intended to work with AtGames yet again on the Mini as a follow-up to the Flashback HD, but they must've finally wised up and realized that the AtCrap just doesn't hold a candle to Nintendo's well-done mini consoles. Hopefully, Sega will be able to produce something which makes for a proper answer to Nintendo's mini consoles, and is able to get them to stores in sufficient numbers.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 03-31-2019 at 01:34 PM.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Input lag was honestly so bad on the Genesis Mini 1 that I traded it and went and bought an original Model 1 to play games on. Much better investment when you can get original genesis consoles fairly cheaply. The games on the other hand are a different ballgame...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The full list of games on the Sega Genesis Mini 2 has been announced:

Sega Genesis games:
    1. After Burner II
    2. Alien Soldier
    3. Atomic Runner
    4. Bonanza Bros.
    5. ClayFighter
    6. Crusader of Centy
    7. Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
    8. Earthworm Jim 2
    9. Elemental Master
    10. Fatal Fury 2
    11. Gain Ground
    12. Golden Axe II
    13. Granada
    14. Hellfire
    15. Herzog Zwei
    16. Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
    17. Midnight Resistance
    18. OutRun
    19. OutRunners
    20. Phantasy Star II
    21. Populous
    22. Rainbow Islands
    23. Ranger-X
    24. Ristar
    25. Rolling Thunder 2
    26. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    27. Shining Force II
    28. Shining in the Darkness
    29. Sonic 3D Blast
    30. Splatterhouse 2
    31. Streets of Rage 3
    32. Super Hang-On
    33. Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers
    34. The Ooze
    35. The Revenge of Shinobi
    36. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
    37. Truxton
    38. VectorMan 2
    39. Viewpoint
    40. Virtua Racing
    41. Warsong

Sega CD games:
    1. Ecco the Dolphin (The Enhanced CD Version)
    2. Ecco: The Tides of Time (The Enhanced CD Version)
    3. Final Fight CD
    4. Mansion of Hidden Souls
    5. Night Striker
    6. Night Trap
    7. Robo Aleste
    8. Sewer Shark
    9. Shining Force CD
    10. Silpheed
    11. Sonic The Hedgehog CD
    12. The Ninja Warriors

Bonus games (unreleased/ports):
    1. Devi & Pii
    2. Fantasy Zone
    3. Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier)
    4. Spatter
    5. Star Mobile
    6. Super Locomotive
    7. VS Puyo Puyo Sun

That adds up to a total of 60. Makes the sting of having to buy it from Japan a bit less, but I suppose that's subjective...

Video announcement from Sega:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The true value won't be known until the hackers get their hands on it, break it open, and see what they can throw on it.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Input lag was honestly so bad on the Genesis Mini 1 that I traded it and went and bought an original Model 1 to play games on. Much better investment when you can get original genesis consoles fairly cheaply. The games on the other hand are a different ballgame...
    You know, I have not gotten any issue with lag thus far on my Mini 1. I'm playing "Toe Jam and Earl" with two of my kids and everything's been responsive from control to sound. I played "Strider" and while I'm rusty, it doesn't seem any different than what I remember. Same with "Ghouls n' Ghosts", though I thought that there were emulation issues because when the ground shifted in the first part of the second level, you saw just black under the houses. When I played the same game on a real Genesis at Midwest Gaming Classic, I was happy to find out that the original had the same issue! I haven't tried anything reflex intensive recently but I really should play that thing more.

I still say it's a TV thing than a device thing. I know I noticed lag on my NES Mini playing "Kid Icarus" where the sound was off but doing some research it seems like your TV can play a major role in that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

MVG review of the genesis mini II.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea i saw this last night, and i agree with the lunar thing he was talking about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    yea i saw this last night, and i agree with the lunar thing he was talking about
    Lunar and Popful Mail not being on the u.s mini II was due to wd former president victor ireland.He has the rights to the translation still and sega did make a offer but he decline.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Not that I expected any different, but there's a few real turds on there. They really dropped the ball with the CD games on the US version. Nothing from Core, no Eternal Champions, no Lunar, Keio, or Popful Mail, but we get Sewer Shark and Night Trap....ugh. And while both Night Strikers and The Ninja Warriors are cool additions, they weren't even released in the West so most buyers don't even care about them.

Why not just throw the 3 or 4 decent 32x games on there while they're at it? Does anyone really want to play inferior versions of Afterburner II and Virtua Racing?

The Space Harrier II reworking looks cool, but not $100 cool, and the other new titles are complete throwaways.

If you look at 8 & 16-bit retro rereleases for the different modern day platforms like the Switch online service, cartridge rereleases, or other mini consoles, there's about a half dozen different companies (or shambling corpses of IP holders) that all license out the same shit over and over. Jaleco, Irem, Data East, Interplay, Namco; if a game you liked isn't held by one of those companies you're probably shit out of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I might be one of the few but I LOVE Sewer Shark. This has all the other games I wanted so it’s ordered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Disappointed no lunars and popful mail for the u.s version of the mini II,unless later on hacks open it up.Beside i also see it pointless for it to have night trap when the game all ready got the remaster treatment for modern consoles.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-20-2022 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Disappointed no lunars and popful mail for the u.s version of the mini II,unless later on hacks open it up.Beside i also see it pointless for it to have night trap when the game all ready got the remaster treatment for modern consoles.
    Yeah that would have been nice to get the Lunars but who knows what the asking price was to get those games on the system. As for "Night Trap"-why not be able to play it in its quasi-original glory? I don't know if the remaster allows it nor do I know how well the remaster plays compared to the original. Personally I'd like the original on all the FMV based games as that's how I remembered playing it. To me it'd be like watching a colorized version of a favorite black and white film. Or the director's cut of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"-I like the originals, please.

Still kinda floored the got the FMV titles they did. And got the Lockheed license to put "Afterburner II" on the console. I think it was gaming providence that when I opened my YouTube app that the Mini 2 video was right at the top of the feed. My jaw dropped at the sight of the titles I hoped for (though couldn't make a sound as everyone was sleeping). After I bopped over to Amazon to pre-order it. Yeah I can play these games on any emulator but this is nice, legit and I'm supporting Sega and the licensors. This gets games into both old and new gamers' hands to take a trip back in time without breaking the bank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Pre-ordered the Japanese version, the CyberStick, and the Mega CD add-on back on July 3, and then this week took a chance an pre-ordered the US version. Herzog Zwei is going for around $90 complete, so that alone justifies buying the US version.

Kind of bummed we didn't get Vay in order to complete the "Big Four", and I was also hoping that after Sega and Konami got cozy together with the original Mini, that they would maybe, JUST MAYBE give us Snatcher on the new one (I guess that makes it the "Big Five").

On the Japanese site, it says we can play games in their respective language if it got released in that region. Though HIGHLY unlikely, will we be able play the US versions of Lunar, Lunar 2, and Popful Mail?

With the exception of Vay and Terminator, these two consoles will fill in all the gaps of my Mega CD collection (Lunar, Lunar 2, Night Trap, Robo Aleste, Shining Force CD, and Mansion of Hidden Souls), and I will now finally own Herzog Zwei, Alien Soldier, Target Earth, Crusader of Centy, Truxton, and Thunder Force IV (basically the only games I am missing from my MegaDrive cartridge collection (Oh... Missing Shaodwrun as well)).

So after 20 years of MegaDrive and Mega CD collecting, I suppose I can now finally say my collection for both will be complete (except Terminator and Shadowrun).
    Last edited by Cloud121; 08-20-2022 at 05:49 PM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Yeah that would have been nice to get the Lunars but who knows what the asking price was to get those games on the system. As for "Night Trap"-why not be able to play it in its quasi-original glory? I don't know if the remaster allows it nor do I know how well the remaster plays compared to the original. Personally I'd like the original on all the FMV based games as that's how I remembered playing it. To me it'd be like watching a colorized version of a favorite black and white film. Or the director's cut of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"-I like the originals, please.

Still kinda floored the got the FMV titles they did. And got the Lockheed license to put "Afterburner II" on the console. I think it was gaming providence that when I opened my YouTube app that the Mini 2 video was right at the top of the feed. My jaw dropped at the sight of the titles I hoped for (though couldn't make a sound as everyone was sleeping). After I bopped over to Amazon to pre-order it. Yeah I can play these games on any emulator but this is nice, legit and I'm supporting Sega and the licensors. This gets games into both old and new gamers' hands to take a trip back in time without breaking the bank.
    From what i heard sega is just paying a flat rate for the third party games and that wouldn't be enough for victor ireland.So who's to blame sega being to cheap or victor being greedy over royalties.Since working designs localize and publish both lunar games and popful mail.I have the night trap remaster for PS4 while it's still a laughing bad game for sure.Better picture quality and cut content also this video is old now but mlig has a behind the scene video on night trap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2zptiviBo

By the way it's great the genesis mini II will have crusader of centy the u.s version of that has become very expensive.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-21-2022 at 02:50 AM.