Thanked in
    30 Posts

MVG review of the genesis mini II.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea i saw this last night, and i agree with the lunar thing he was talking about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    yea i saw this last night, and i agree with the lunar thing he was talking about
    Lunar and Popful Mail not being on the u.s mini II was due to wd former president victor ireland.He has the rights to the translation still and sega did make a offer but he decline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Lunar and Popful Mail not being on the u.s mini II was due to wd former president victor ireland.He has the rights to the translation still and sega did make a offer but he decline.
    well he a butt then

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Tron 2.0 (11-05-2022)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Lame that they removed Ash from Bare Knuckle 3, even worse that they chopped 1/3 of a level out just to get rid of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've received mine but I really haven't had a chance to play it. Well, play it properly. Packages like this I have delivered to my work place as I don't trust my neighbors at home. And sometimes the postal person gets the location wrong (there's a north and south version of the street I live on-I've had a gift delivered to the wrong house. Thank goodness for GPS!) I have a monitor on my work bench that has HDMI but no sound but I tried it out anyways. The games look great with the CRT filter (at least on the monitor) and play pretty well. I played "Final Fight CD", "Night Striker", "Afterburner II" and watched the intro video for "Sewer Shark".

"Final Fight CD" I swear looks more colorful than I remember but that could just be my memory. I owned it when I had a Sega CD but I also remember reviews for it in a magazine stating it didn't have as many colors, so I'm not sure if my memory is tainted by that narrative. Anyway, it played pretty dang smooth.

"Night Striker"-I played this a lot in the arcade and I never knew it came out on Sega CD in Japan. It is a pixelly mess and your vehicle doesn't seem to have great control. I don't remember in the arcade when turning that you quick zip to the edge as quickly as you do in the home version. Eh. It's also hard to shoot stuff as your craft covers your line of fire.

"Afterburner II" played well. I'm used to the 3 button controller more than the 6 button but I did find it hard to pull off barrel rolls. The D Pad has the same sort-of wobbly feel as the original, so I'll try playing with the 3 button to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise it looked great and I could still get some good kills. Sega also kept in the secret controller commands to get more missiles during the restock phases!

"Sewer Shark" is the one of my personal jewels of the Sega CD. Like "Super Mario 64", it was the "tech demo" that really sold me on the system. Yeah it's an on-rails shooter but the cheesy sci-fi video with the simple action sits well with me. It's what I used to sell the idea of me buying a Sega CD when I was a teenager to my mom, who was not thrilled with me dropping that kind of money. "Sewer Shark" changed that. On the mini, the video itself looks better than on the original, which made me think if they used the 3DO footage. However it still has that lack of color to it which makes me believe that the 720p upgrade might have helped the clarity of the footage. After all these years, I never could make out what a door Falco passes by in the beginning says. You could see words but it never stood out. Now I see that it says "Don't commit suicide". I can't say I noticed it on the 3DO version when I had the system, but then I wasn't paying that close attention.

The box itself, like shown in the videos, is tiny. The system itself is probably not much bigger than my iPhone mini. The controller feels good and solid with the "mode" button also being used for getting to the menu screen (though you can adjust it to take a longer press as I think at least one game needs to use that button for something). The whole thing includes the HDMI cable, power cable and power plug.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to play it this weekend. I'll post my thoughts when I can actually hear it.

@Az-on the preservationist side, I agree that was lame to remove the character and a chunk of a level. I wonder if they juggled with which would anger folks more-removing the character and a part of the level or reskinning the character? If the latter, WHAT would you reskin it to be that could keep the general feel of the character but not change the moves? By changing the character to a full on woman, would that have caused even more issues? Hard to say. It does sound like this character was removed from all Mega Drive Mini 2s as well.

On the personal side, I never played either SoR 3 or the Bare Knuckle versions of any of the games, so if you told me it was removed I wouldn't have known.

Makes me wonder if in an online manual for Super Mario Bros 2 (USA version) if they changed the description of Birdo at all.....

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm surprised MegaPanel got included on the Japanese console.
    Was that game more popular in Japan or something? (I mean, I know it was only released there.)

What I know is, a decade ago I paid $2 for a cartridge with a cartoon butt on the cover, and the game contained inside it is what I deserved.
    Falling blocks with slide puzzle mechanics is not something humans should have created.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    .@Az-on the preservationist side, I agree that was lame to remove the character and a chunk of a level.
    I don't think there is any way they could have just reskinned him and avoided bad press. They could have removed him as a boss, left him driving the boat and fight a bunch of mooks instead (like the US version). That would have taken more than 10 seconds of effort so it didn't happen.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Makes me wonder if in an online manual for Super Mario Bros 2 (USA version) if they changed the description of Birdo at all.....
    With the NES Mini (2016), Nintendo actually released official scans of the original manuals (for all the included games) online, both USA and Japanese versions.
    (some variant of each, the Metroid manual seems to be the "Classic Series" rerelease aka the yellow label)

The SMB2 manual seems to be unchanged: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called 'birdetta'."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Lame that they removed Ash from Bare Knuckle 3, even worse that they chopped 1/3 of a level out just to get rid of him.
    Wasn't there a hacked version of the game that restored unfinished or deleted levels that weren't included in the retail release? I seem to remember someone selling bootleg carts here ages ago, though I can't completely remember which Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle game it was. I'm assuming it was the third game from memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Wasn't there a hacked version of the game that restored unfinished or deleted levels that weren't included in the retail release? I seem to remember someone selling bootleg carts here ages ago, though I can't completely remember which Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle game it was. I'm assuming it was the third game from memory.
    I don't know about a hacked bare knuckle 3 either but there is a fan translation for it if you want to play it uncut.By emulation,the mister or an on a genesis using a flash cart.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Wasn't there a hacked version of the game that restored unfinished or deleted levels that weren't included in the retail release? I seem to remember someone selling bootleg carts here ages ago.
    That dickhead would have been me. There's a patch that allows you to play the two unfinished motorcycle levels along with accessing several cut parts of the timed elevator level where you rescue the general.

All three things can be accessed with an Action Replay in the Japanese ROM. The motorcycle levels tend to freak out with your character sprite, which was an issue fixed with the patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    That dickhead would have been me. There's a patch that allows you to play the two unfinished motorcycle levels along with accessing several cut parts of the timed elevator level where you rescue the general.

All three things can be accessed with an Action Replay in the Japanese ROM. The motorcycle levels tend to freak out with your character sprite, which was an issue fixed with the patch.
    I actually don't mind bootlegs of unreleased or altered games that are otherwise unavailable, I thought about buying one of those carts back then but I never really buy anything online.

Still thanks for explaining the missing content, I really didn't keep up with background information on these Streets of Rage games. It would have been nice if a finished completed version of this game was released by Sega for their mini console release.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Finally got a chance to sit down and spend some time with this. I realize this was a shoestring budget product made by interns aimed at a Japanese audience, and I can temper my expectations to that. I bought this mainly just for the CD games and the Space Harriers. Silpheed and Robo Aleste are in my top 5 SCD games and it's nice to play them with savestates as my Raspberry Pi tends to wig out with that on CD games. I've really only got two main issues.

The first is being able to play these in import mode. If you select Japanese as your language, you get a different themed frontend along with Japanese box art for all titles and the games are their Japanese ROM equivalents. Keep in mind the game list stays the same; it's not changing the actual game list to that of the Japanese version, just changing the games in the American system to Japanese mode. If this is an option that is so easily done, why on earth make it such a headache? Why not just have an option in the system settings (or individual game menu) to choose JP mode like most any other modern collection does? That's an option that could be implemented by the designers in seconds but instead it's just a nuisance buried in the menus.

The game list itself is pretty disappointing. The Sega CD list is extremely wimpy compared to what it could have been, even if you just consider properties owned by Sega that would cost them nothing extra to include. The SCD got a ton of Western support and was much more popular here than in Japan, yet they had to include two Japan-only titles just to fill up space? No Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side? Earthworm Jim SE? Nothing from Core or JVC?

All of the "new" games are one-note novelties that you won't play more than once with the exception of Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier II. They really dropped the ball by not including a handful of 32x games. You could have thrown in Afterburner, Space Harrier, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Knuckles Chaotix and maybe Cosmic Carnage or Metalhead. That would have knocked the 32x library in the head and not cost them a dime in licensing. There's no way you can convince me that programming from scratch special ports of both Space Harrier I and II and Fantasy Zone required less manpower than getting a 32x emulator up and running. That's a real shame because that they won't ever be releasing another 16-bit collection like this so if we haven't seen them by now we never will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

well i donno about that, theres still a genesis 3 they could make a mini version of

is amazon the only place you can get this thing or is it expected to hit other retailers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

well i donno about that, theres still a genesis 3 they could make a mini version of

is amazon the only place you can get this thing or is it expected to hit other retailers?
    Amazon exclusive it's not being sold at retail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

They should make a Nomad mini handheld. A smaller Nomad with TV output, and better battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Amazon exclusive it's not being sold at retail.
    Lots of DVD sets started out as Amazon exclusives and got full retail releases later on. It's unlikely with this but it's possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

hmm ok maybe i'll get one after i check stores for other things i need tomorrow. if i have any money left

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

They should make a Nomad mini handheld. A smaller Nomad with TV output, and better battery life.

Lots of DVD sets started out as Amazon exclusives and got full retail releases later on. It's unlikely with this but it's possible.
    Well i've seen the japanese version at some importers but the u.s version is still amazon exclusive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Well as of last week i got a sega genesis mini II finally.I was on the fence for one but i had some amazon gift cards save up so i thought why not.The emulation itself is very spot on thanks in part it being handle by M2.Genesis selection is fine but expect for clay fighters,this sorry excuse for a fighting game shouldn't be on it in the first place.Sega-CD i still think it's a very slim selection compare to the japanese model.To me the most biggest opportunity for sega-cd is it not having snatcher on it.All in all if you don't have a genesis plus a collection of games or even a mister to use it's a worth while buy.I will say it's about time shining force cd got a official release again.