Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Another cash-in? Sega announces Genesis/Mega Drive Mini

  1. #21
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    155
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    19
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

    Default

    Well, the controllers are universal, a North American company will be manufacturing and selling official 6 button wired controllers for the SEGA Genesis Mini, and the Tower can be imported and used with a North American console, so all is not lost.

  2. #22
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    No sports games is a huge disservice to the platform. At least put the mutant games on it
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

  3. #23
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    No sports games is a huge disservice to the platform. At least put the mutant games on it
    While the genesis was known for it's sports games.I don't see it as a lost for not any being on the mini.Also if they wanted some thing like madden or nhl,that's a license right there plus paying royalties for it.I think it's more of a shame that musha isn't on the u.s model while jpn get's it.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-10-2019 at 04:32 AM.

  4. #24
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,977
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    No sports games is a huge disservice to the platform. At least put the mutant games on it
    It is very likely that Sega did their market research and saw that many gamers/collectors don't value old sports games, as well as licensing.

  5. #25
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    It is very likely that Sega did their market research and saw that many gamers/collectors don't value old sports games, as well as licensing.
    I guess they researched differently than I did because the youtube comments and podcasters have said otherwise
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

  6. #26
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    694
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I guess they researched differently than I did because the youtube comments and podcasters have said otherwise
    I'm not the target market for this thing, but I'm in a few gaming groups on FB and the consensus is that Sega knocked it out of the park with this game list.

  7. #27
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    I'm not the target market for this thing, but I'm in a few gaming groups on FB and the consensus is that Sega knocked it out of the park with this game list.
    Oh well im not getting it either way so what do i care. I have a Genesis and those games are cheap. No need to rebuy them
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

  8. #28
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    My Life in Gaming,has a preview and it looks good plus M2 did tweak some games.Still it's a shame japan get's musha,snow brothers and slap fight while the u.s doesn't.Still it's great that the u.s get's monster world iv such a gem in the wonderboy series.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbr5eP6KO_o

    My only other complaint jpn get's a six button controller pack in while the u.s doesn't.Though,retrobit six button genesis usb controller is compatible with the genesis mini.

  9. #29
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,977
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I guess they researched differently than I did because the youtube comments and podcasters have said otherwise
    I don't know, I'm looking at completed listings for Genesis sports games, and it is mostly unsold merchandise. The few that sell are usually under $10 CIB. Not sure why Sega would include games that people don't want to spend money on, for a product that they want people to spend money on. Granted there are plenty of people that enjoy the older sports games, but I find that people have a hard time giving them away, much less making anything off of them. Every game store near me (other than gamestop) all refuse sports title as trade-ins.

  10. #30
    ServBot (Level 11) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Deadford, OR
    Posts
    3,664
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    23
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

    Default

    apparently the 6 button has been out a little while, i just noticed they updated the product page for this to add the mini
    https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Off...1853GPTGJ97MDK

  11. #31
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I don't know, I'm looking at completed listings for Genesis sports games, and it is mostly unsold merchandise. The few that sell are usually under $10 CIB. Not sure why Sega would include games that people don't want to spend money on, for a product that they want people to spend money on. Granted there are plenty of people that enjoy the older sports games, but I find that people have a hard time giving them away, much less making anything off of them. Every game store near me (other than gamestop) all refuse sports title as trade-ins.
    The older licensed sports games have a very niche audience for sure. Someone would have to be a retro gamer, and have also wanted to follow the sports teams a lot back when these games came out. Its pretty rare for someone to be nostalgiac for a game that doesnt look that much different now compared to 20 years ago
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

  12. #32
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Well i got sega genesis mini recently any one else here did ? All around id say this is a solid product M2 did a great job with the emulation but,lag can occur for sound effects so that's only part that falls short.I hardly notice the sound lag either but games are very playable so no lost.The most criticism i have is that i still think alex kidd and VF2 are a waste on the system.If i were in charge i would have replace those games with some thing different.By the way before some one ask yes it's pack in controllers are three buttons but retrobit does sell six button ones that are compatible,with the genesis mini.Also as a added bonus if you select japanese as you're language you can play the japanese version of said games.Such as "dr.robotink mean bean machine becomes puyo puyo" and contra hard corps has features not in the u.s version.

  13. #33
    OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Robocop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,065
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

    Default

    I bought one and other than opening it to admire and then putting it back into its box I haven’t hooked it up yet. Not really sure when or if I will Honestly the two Nintendo clsssics I bought and am kinda holding just as display items though.

    Incidentally; I was looking at Amazon earlier and it appears there is a TG-16 mini coming next year. Supposed to be an Amazon exclusive and the games list seems pretty good even has Air Zonk and a few Turbo CD games if reports are correct. I still wish it would have Legendary Axe on there but it does have alot of others
    Last edited by Robocop2; 10-05-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

  14. #34
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    507
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    I bought one of these shortly after release, but only now got around to playing it. The controllers are more sensitive than I remember the originals being, particularly with regards to the D-pads, but overall they feel pretty good. The game selection is pretty good, apart from lacking Sonic 3 and S&K (guessing they're being held back for a Genesis Mini 2), and I wouldn't have minded a sports-type game of some sort. Overall, though, they seem to have done a good job.
    -Adam

  15. #35
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    I bought one of these shortly after release, but only now got around to playing it. The controllers are more sensitive than I remember the originals being, particularly with regards to the D-pads, but overall they feel pretty good. The game selection is pretty good, apart from lacking Sonic 3 and S&K (guessing they're being held back for a Genesis Mini 2), and I wouldn't have minded a sports-type game of some sort. Overall, though, they seem to have done a good job.
    -Adam
    Dunno if sonic 3 would happen on another genesis mini the game is a license issue for it's music.

  16. #36
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    These mini consoles just make me appreciate original hardware more. I could see really liking it if I didnt have an upscaler or any of the old games and didnt want to collect but just play some of the must have titles so I suppose Im not the target audience for this
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

  17. #37
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    507
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Dunno if sonic 3 would happen on another genesis mini the game is a license issue for it's music.
    Hopefully, they can figure out something with the licensing before the release of a Mini 2. It'd also be nice to see Sonic & Knuckles, as well as a 'lock-on' option. My guess is that a Mini 2 would be based around the looks of the Genesis 2, and include 6 button controllers. Hopefully, it'd also include Sega CD and/or 32X games in addition to more Genesis ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    These mini consoles just make me appreciate original hardware more. I could see really liking it if I didnt have an upscaler or any of the old games and didnt want to collect but just play some of the must have titles so I suppose Im not the target audience for this
    Like with anything having to do with these mini consoles, it's all about convenience. Rather than having to drag out a real Genesis/Mega Drive with all of its cartridges and associated accessories, having to deal with cleaning contacts and hooking the video output through an upscaler or whatnot to make it look good with a modern TV, all you have to do with one of these is connect the power and controllers, hook it directly to the HDMI port on a flatscreen, flip the power switch, and start playing. I appreciate real hardware as much as anyone, but I rarely have the time or space to deal with it these days.
    -Adam

  18. #38
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    I agree with all that but I dont know why Sega/Nintendo cant make a console that accepts cartridges. A sample of 42 games when the Genesis has 707+ (just in North America alone) is a really small sample size.

    The best thing we have now is the Analogue consoles but even those have issues
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

  19. #39
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    507
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I agree with all that but I dont know why Sega/Nintendo cant make a console that accepts cartridges. A sample of 42 games when the Genesis has 707+ (just in North America alone) is a really small sample size.

    The best thing we have now is the Analogue consoles but even those have issues
    Both Sega and Nintendo likely don't want to have to deal with the hassle of supporting someone's attempts to use said 20+ year old cartridges, and deal with the dirty contacts and other defects potentionally involved. Also, convenience likely comes into play once again; why would someone futz around with making 20+ year old cartridges work when the built-in games don't need such hassle? AtGames did include cartridge slots with their consoles, but unlike the Genesis/MD Mini, those are not supported directly by Sega; besides, making them able to accept cartridges made them larger than these Minis. The only Atari Flashbacks to offer cartridge support were the 2 and 2+, which required both user modification and (surprise surprise) voiding the manufacturer's warranty in order to do so.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 10-06-2019 at 06:03 PM.

  20. #40
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Both Sega and Nintendo likely don't want to have to deal with the hassle of supporting someone's attempts to use said 20+ year old cartridges, and deal with the dirty contacts and other defects potentionally involved. Also, convenience likely comes into play once again; why would someone futz around with making 20+ year old cartridges work when the built-in games don't need such hassle? AtGames did include cartridge slots with their consoles, but unlike the Genesis/MD Mini, those are not supported directly by Sega; besides, making them able to accept cartridges made them larger than these Minis. The only Atari Flashbacks to offer cartridge support were the 2 and 2+, which required both user modification and (surprise surprise) voiding the manufacturer's warranty in order to do so.
    -Adam
    I agree with all of that. I noticed too that you said they should have included a sports game. M2/Sega just bought into the stupid trend of "sports games suck and are worthless." Licensing notwithstanding, there were plenty of sports games they couldve brought back from the dead. If it werent for sports games, there probably wouldnt even be a Genesis. I mean there were other games obviously but it seems like for every 1 sports cart sold, there was 1 non-sports cart.
    "I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy." - Joker

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 04:58 AM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM
  3. Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Questions
    By raging in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
  4. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Modification Help
    By Zexmaix in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
  5. FS: Sega Stuff (SMS/Mega Drive and Genesis) mostly PAL
    By Simplynes in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •