Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Another cash-in? Sega announces Genesis/Mega Drive Mini

  1. #21
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    19
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

    Default

    Well, the controllers are universal, a North American company will be manufacturing and selling official 6 button wired controllers for the SEGA Genesis Mini, and the Tower can be imported and used with a North American console, so all is not lost.

  2. #22
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    45
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    Default

    No sports games is a huge disservice to the platform. At least put the mutant games on it
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  3. #23
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,702
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    No sports games is a huge disservice to the platform. At least put the mutant games on it
    While the genesis was known for it's sports games.I don't see it as a lost for not any being on the mini.Also if they wanted some thing like madden or nhl,that's a license right there plus paying royalties for it.I think it's more of a shame that musha isn't on the u.s model while jpn get's it.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-10-2019 at 04:32 AM.

  4. #24
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,975
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    No sports games is a huge disservice to the platform. At least put the mutant games on it
    It is very likely that Sega did their market research and saw that many gamers/collectors don't value old sports games, as well as licensing.

  5. #25
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    45
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    It is very likely that Sega did their market research and saw that many gamers/collectors don't value old sports games, as well as licensing.
    I guess they researched differently than I did because the youtube comments and podcasters have said otherwise
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  6. #26
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    693
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I guess they researched differently than I did because the youtube comments and podcasters have said otherwise
    I'm not the target market for this thing, but I'm in a few gaming groups on FB and the consensus is that Sega knocked it out of the park with this game list.

  7. #27
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    45
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    I'm not the target market for this thing, but I'm in a few gaming groups on FB and the consensus is that Sega knocked it out of the park with this game list.
    Oh well im not getting it either way so what do i care. I have a Genesis and those games are cheap. No need to rebuy them
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  8. #28
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,702
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

    Default

    My Life in Gaming,has a preview and it looks good plus M2 did tweak some games.Still it's a shame japan get's musha,snow brothers and slap fight while the u.s doesn't.Still it's great that the u.s get's monster world iv such a gem in the wonderboy series.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbr5eP6KO_o

    My only other complaint jpn get's a six button controller pack in while the u.s doesn't.Though,retrobit six button genesis usb controller is compatible with the genesis mini.

  9. #29
    Key (Level 9) mailman187666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,975
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I guess they researched differently than I did because the youtube comments and podcasters have said otherwise
    I don't know, I'm looking at completed listings for Genesis sports games, and it is mostly unsold merchandise. The few that sell are usually under $10 CIB. Not sure why Sega would include games that people don't want to spend money on, for a product that they want people to spend money on. Granted there are plenty of people that enjoy the older sports games, but I find that people have a hard time giving them away, much less making anything off of them. Every game store near me (other than gamestop) all refuse sports title as trade-ins.

  10. #30
    ServBot (Level 11) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Deadford, OR
    Posts
    3,655
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    21
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    apparently the 6 button has been out a little while, i just noticed they updated the product page for this to add the mini
    https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Off...1853GPTGJ97MDK

  11. #31
    Apple (Level 5)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    36
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    45
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I don't know, I'm looking at completed listings for Genesis sports games, and it is mostly unsold merchandise. The few that sell are usually under $10 CIB. Not sure why Sega would include games that people don't want to spend money on, for a product that they want people to spend money on. Granted there are plenty of people that enjoy the older sports games, but I find that people have a hard time giving them away, much less making anything off of them. Every game store near me (other than gamestop) all refuse sports title as trade-ins.
    The older licensed sports games have a very niche audience for sure. Someone would have to be a retro gamer, and have also wanted to follow the sports teams a lot back when these games came out. Its pretty rare for someone to be nostalgiac for a game that doesnt look that much different now compared to 20 years ago
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 04:58 AM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM
  3. Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Questions
    By raging in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
  4. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Modification Help
    By Zexmaix in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
  5. FS: Sega Stuff (SMS/Mega Drive and Genesis) mostly PAL
    By Simplynes in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •