Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 99

Thread: Another cash-in? Sega announces Genesis/Mega Drive Mini

  1. #61
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    578
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    14
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Looks like the Genesis Mini 2 will be hard to come by:

    Sega’s Genesis Mini 2 will have ‘one-tenth’ the supply, Sega says
    Sega’s Genesis Mini 2 will only get ‘a small number of units’ in North America

    Hopefully this will be remedied before the end of the production run. Supply chain issues strike again...

  2. #62
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,829
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    61
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Looks like the Genesis Mini 2 will be hard to come by:

    Sega’s Genesis Mini 2 will have ‘one-tenth’ the supply, Sega says
    Sega’s Genesis Mini 2 will only get ‘a small number of units’ in North America

    Hopefully this will be remedied before the end of the production run. Supply chain issues strike again...
    So it costs over $120 to get an emulation box? And only available at all in North America because they figured out that they could sell it using a specific feature that Amazon allowed?

    Sega really has fallen a long way.

    “by using Amazon’s ‘Japan Store’ system, we found that at least a small number of units could be sold via Amazon.com, so a portion was allocated to make the North American version.”

    Thankfully Amazon had a way that Sega could sell their products to North America, otherwise Sega would be powerless to accomplish this. Unbelievable.

  3. #63
    ServBot (Level 11) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Deadford, OR
    Posts
    3,997
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Looks like the Genesis Mini 2 will be hard to come by:

    Sega’s Genesis Mini 2 will have ‘one-tenth’ the supply, Sega says
    Sega’s Genesis Mini 2 will only get ‘a small number of units’ in North America

    Hopefully this will be remedied before the end of the production run. Supply chain issues strike again...
    no this doesent sound like a supply chain issue, and before any one says it theres no chip shortage too. TSMC and other fabs are telling their clients to come get their completed orders and they are dragging their feet.

    this sounds more like a money issue

  4. #64
    The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

    Default

    Input lag was honestly so bad on the Genesis Mini 1 that I traded it and went and bought an original Model 1 to play games on. Much better investment when you can get original genesis consoles fairly cheaply. The games on the other hand are a different ballgame...

  5. #65
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    578
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    14
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    The full list of games on the Sega Genesis Mini 2 has been announced:

    Sega Genesis games:
    1. After Burner II
    2. Alien Soldier
    3. Atomic Runner
    4. Bonanza Bros.
    5. ClayFighter
    6. Crusader of Centy
    7. Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
    8. Earthworm Jim 2
    9. Elemental Master
    10. Fatal Fury 2
    11. Gain Ground
    12. Golden Axe II
    13. Granada
    14. Hellfire
    15. Herzog Zwei
    16. Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
    17. Midnight Resistance
    18. OutRun
    19. OutRunners
    20. Phantasy Star II
    21. Populous
    22. Rainbow Islands
    23. Ranger-X
    24. Ristar
    25. Rolling Thunder 2
    26. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    27. Shining Force II
    28. Shining in the Darkness
    29. Sonic 3D Blast
    30. Splatterhouse 2
    31. Streets of Rage 3
    32. Super Hang-On
    33. Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers
    34. The Ooze
    35. The Revenge of Shinobi
    36. ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
    37. Truxton
    38. VectorMan 2
    39. Viewpoint
    40. Virtua Racing
    41. Warsong


    Sega CD games:
    1. Ecco the Dolphin (The Enhanced CD Version)
    2. Ecco: The Tides of Time (The Enhanced CD Version)
    3. Final Fight CD
    4. Mansion of Hidden Souls
    5. Night Striker
    6. Night Trap
    7. Robo Aleste
    8. Sewer Shark
    9. Shining Force CD
    10. Silpheed
    11. Sonic The Hedgehog CD
    12. The Ninja Warriors


    Bonus games (unreleased/ports):
    1. Devi & Pii
    2. Fantasy Zone
    3. Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier)
    4. Spatter
    5. Star Mobile
    6. Super Locomotive
    7. VS Puyo Puyo Sun


    That adds up to a total of 60. Makes the sting of having to buy it from Japan a bit less, but I suppose that's subjective...

    Video announcement from Sega:

  6. #66
    Strawberry (Level 2) RARusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    533
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    The true value won't be known until the hackers get their hands on it, break it open, and see what they can throw on it.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

  7. #67
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    766
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

    Default

    Not that I expected any different, but there's a few real turds on there. They really dropped the ball with the CD games on the US version. Nothing from Core, no Eternal Champions, no Lunar, Keio, or Popful Mail, but we get Sewer Shark and Night Trap....ugh. And while both Night Strikers and The Ninja Warriors are cool additions, they weren't even released in the West so most buyers don't even care about them.

    Why not just throw the 3 or 4 decent 32x games on there while they're at it? Does anyone really want to play inferior versions of Afterburner II and Virtua Racing?

    The Space Harrier II reworking looks cool, but not $100 cool, and the other new titles are complete throwaways.

    If you look at 8 & 16-bit retro rereleases for the different modern day platforms like the Switch online service, cartridge rereleases, or other mini consoles, there's about a half dozen different companies (or shambling corpses of IP holders) that all license out the same shit over and over. Jaleco, Irem, Data East, Interplay, Namco; if a game you liked isn't held by one of those companies you're probably shit out of luck.

  8. #68
    Great Puma (Level 12) YoshiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,518
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

    Default

    I might be one of the few but I LOVE Sewer Shark. This has all the other games I wanted so it’s ordered.

  9. #69
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,999
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

    Default

    Disappointed no lunars and popful mail for the u.s version of the mini II,unless later on hacks open it up.Beside i also see it pointless for it to have night trap when the game all ready got the remaster treatment for modern consoles.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-20-2022 at 05:38 AM.

  10. #70
    Great Puma (Level 12) YoshiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,518
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Disappointed no lunars and popful mail for the u.s version of the mini II,unless later on hacks open it up.Beside i also see it pointless for it to have night trap when the game all ready got the remaster treatment for modern consoles.
    Yeah that would have been nice to get the Lunars but who knows what the asking price was to get those games on the system. As for "Night Trap"-why not be able to play it in its quasi-original glory? I don't know if the remaster allows it nor do I know how well the remaster plays compared to the original. Personally I'd like the original on all the FMV based games as that's how I remembered playing it. To me it'd be like watching a colorized version of a favorite black and white film. Or the director's cut of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"-I like the originals, please.

    Still kinda floored the got the FMV titles they did. And got the Lockheed license to put "Afterburner II" on the console. I think it was gaming providence that when I opened my YouTube app that the Mini 2 video was right at the top of the feed. My jaw dropped at the sight of the titles I hoped for (though couldn't make a sound as everyone was sleeping). After I bopped over to Amazon to pre-order it. Yeah I can play these games on any emulator but this is nice, legit and I'm supporting Sega and the licensors. This gets games into both old and new gamers' hands to take a trip back in time without breaking the bank.

  11. #71
    Stuck in 1998 Cloud121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Town
    Posts
    536
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

    Default

    Pre-ordered the Japanese version, the CyberStick, and the Mega CD add-on back on July 3, and then this week took a chance an pre-ordered the US version. Herzog Zwei is going for around $90 complete, so that alone justifies buying the US version.

    Kind of bummed we didn't get Vay in order to complete the "Big Four", and I was also hoping that after Sega and Konami got cozy together with the original Mini, that they would maybe, JUST MAYBE give us Snatcher on the new one (I guess that makes it the "Big Five").

    On the Japanese site, it says we can play games in their respective language if it got released in that region. Though HIGHLY unlikely, will we be able play the US versions of Lunar, Lunar 2, and Popful Mail?

    With the exception of Vay and Terminator, these two consoles will fill in all the gaps of my Mega CD collection (Lunar, Lunar 2, Night Trap, Robo Aleste, Shining Force CD, and Mansion of Hidden Souls), and I will now finally own Herzog Zwei, Alien Soldier, Target Earth, Crusader of Centy, Truxton, and Thunder Force IV (basically the only games I am missing from my MegaDrive cartridge collection (Oh... Missing Shaodwrun as well)).

    So after 20 years of MegaDrive and Mega CD collecting, I suppose I can now finally say my collection for both will be complete (except Terminator and Shadowrun).
    Last edited by Cloud121; 08-20-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

  12. #72
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,829
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    61
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

    Default

    Honestly the games on this release are pretty good, there's lots of good and hard to find titles included. I still won't be getting this as it's only HDMI output and I don't use HD displays but it's a nice selection being included, of course it doesn't include everything great and there's some mediocre titles thrown in but that's so there can be another one released after this.

    I thought about Snatcher as well but it would need a light gun for the full experience so that may be why it's not included.

    I still would want to own the legit original versions of these games to play on my actual systems but if I ever went the emulation route I would probably emulate them on something else, the HD only output is really what's holding me back from fully accepting these releases. Otherwise I might look into flashcarts to play these games on original consoles. I might have felt different if these came out 15-20 years ago back when other plug and play systems were really popular.

  13. #73
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,999
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Yeah that would have been nice to get the Lunars but who knows what the asking price was to get those games on the system. As for "Night Trap"-why not be able to play it in its quasi-original glory? I don't know if the remaster allows it nor do I know how well the remaster plays compared to the original. Personally I'd like the original on all the FMV based games as that's how I remembered playing it. To me it'd be like watching a colorized version of a favorite black and white film. Or the director's cut of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"-I like the originals, please.

    Still kinda floored the got the FMV titles they did. And got the Lockheed license to put "Afterburner II" on the console. I think it was gaming providence that when I opened my YouTube app that the Mini 2 video was right at the top of the feed. My jaw dropped at the sight of the titles I hoped for (though couldn't make a sound as everyone was sleeping). After I bopped over to Amazon to pre-order it. Yeah I can play these games on any emulator but this is nice, legit and I'm supporting Sega and the licensors. This gets games into both old and new gamers' hands to take a trip back in time without breaking the bank.
    From what i heard sega is just paying a flat rate for the third party games and that wouldn't be enough for victor ireland.So who's to blame sega being to cheap or victor being greedy over royalties.Since working designs localize and publish both lunar games and popful mail.I have the night trap remaster for PS4 while it's still a laughing bad game for sure.Better picture quality and cut content also this video is old now but mlig has a behind the scene video on night trap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2zptiviBo

    By the way it's great the genesis mini II will have crusader of centy the u.s version of that has become very expensive.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-21-2022 at 03:50 AM.

  14. #74
    Insert Coin (Level 0) The S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Moesko Island, WA
    Posts
    115
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I will never understand people who refuse to do anything with something they have/own but also disallow others to do anything with it or try to price it too high for them to.

    What's the point of just sitting on your rights to something forever while it goes disused?
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

  15. #75
    ServBot (Level 11) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Deadford, OR
    Posts
    3,997
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    From what i heard sega is just paying a flat rate for the third party games and that wouldn't be enough for victor ireland.So who's to blame sega being to cheap or victor being greedy over royalties.Since working designs localize and publish both lunar games and popful mail.I have the night trap remaster for PS4 while it's still a laughing bad game for sure.Better picture quality and cut content also this video is old now but mlig has a behind the scene video on night trap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2zptiviBo

    By the way it's great the genesis mini II will have crusader of centy the u.s version of that has become very expensive.
    it seems strange that sega games ((minus the saturn) are expensive. i remember a time when they were so much cheaper than the rest of the systems. kinda like xbox now.

    i guess even the worst wines ferment to something better but take longer to do so, but they still might be bad.

  16. #76
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Tron 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,999
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    it seems strange that sega games ((minus the saturn) are expensive. i remember a time when they were so much cheaper than the rest of the systems. kinda like xbox now.

    i guess even the worst wines ferment to something better but take longer to do so, but they still might be bad.
    Right there's also talk what's keeping both lunar and popful mail off the u.s mini II,is a license issue over it's voice acting.Sega has been quoted a dc mini is on hold due to cost as for saturn and that's not easy to emulate,though i've heard for pc it's improved.I don't know if i'll bother with the genesis mini II i still have the original mini and a genesis+sega-cd.Plus a collection of games and everdrive flash cart to.

  17. #77
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,705
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    Most of the games on the Sega Genesis Mini 2 have either already been on a collection, are beat em ups, shmups, or games no one wanted to play in the first place. I was hopeful when I saw the Japanese version atleast there was some quality in there, but we get the US version and wtf? Also, I'm pretty sure the most requested game was snatcher which wasn't in either version. The US version at the very least is a joke of a system, comparable to the PS One Classic.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  18. #78
    Insert Coin (Level 0) The S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Moesko Island, WA
    Posts
    115
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    are beat em ups, shmups
    And this is bad how?
    Looking for:
    Chūka Taisen (Cloud Master) manuals
    Monon Color + games

  19. #79
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Streamwood, IL
    Posts
    324
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Most of the games on the Sega Genesis Mini 2 have either already been on a collection, are beat em ups, shmups, or games no one wanted to play in the first place. I was hopeful when I saw the Japanese version atleast there was some quality in there, but we get the US version and wtf? Also, I'm pretty sure the most requested game was snatcher which wasn't in either version. The US version at the very least is a joke of a system, comparable to the PS One Classic.
    Respectfully have to disagree with you. Just because titles are most requested does not automatically make them definites. Many factors can interfere with the possibility of inclusion on the Mini 2, such as licensing fees, etc.

    I am quite satisfied with the NA version, but I have also preordered the JPN version, just like with the first Mini.

  20. #80
    Great Puma (Level 12) YoshiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,518
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Input lag was honestly so bad on the Genesis Mini 1 that I traded it and went and bought an original Model 1 to play games on. Much better investment when you can get original genesis consoles fairly cheaply. The games on the other hand are a different ballgame...
    You know, I have not gotten any issue with lag thus far on my Mini 1. I'm playing "Toe Jam and Earl" with two of my kids and everything's been responsive from control to sound. I played "Strider" and while I'm rusty, it doesn't seem any different than what I remember. Same with "Ghouls n' Ghosts", though I thought that there were emulation issues because when the ground shifted in the first part of the second level, you saw just black under the houses. When I played the same game on a real Genesis at Midwest Gaming Classic, I was happy to find out that the original had the same issue! I haven't tried anything reflex intensive recently but I really should play that thing more.

    I still say it's a TV thing than a device thing. I know I noticed lag on my NES Mini playing "Kid Icarus" where the sound was off but doing some research it seems like your TV can play a major role in that.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 05:58 AM
  2. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM
  3. Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Questions
    By raging in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
  4. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Modification Help
    By Zexmaix in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
  5. FS: Sega Stuff (SMS/Mega Drive and Genesis) mostly PAL
    By Simplynes in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •