Thread: Project Sakura Wars / New Sakura Taisen Announced for North America and Europe [PS4]

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Project Sakura Wars / New Sakura Taisen Announced for North America and Europe [PS4]

"Project Sakura Wars" (final name pending) will be released on PS4 during Spring 2020. I'll admit, I'm conflicted about this new Sakura Wars game.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGSite.net
    Sega reveals Project Sakura Wars for PlayStation 4, will release in the West in Spring 2020
    by Adam Vitale, 30 March, 2019

After announcing a new game in the Sakura Wars series last April, today during the opening ceremony for SegaFES 2019, Sega has formally revealed Shin Sakura Taisen for PlayStation 4. The game is set to release this Winter in Japan. The official website has also been opened.

Shin Sakura Taisen is set 12 years after 2005's Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love in an alternate past of Taisho 29, or about 1941. Character designs were made by Tite Kubo, most known as the creator of the Shonen Jump series Bleach. The story structure is being handled by Jiro Ishii, the writer of 428: Shibuya Scramble. Kohei Tanaka, who has worked on previous Sakura Wars titles, returns as the composer.

Soon after the Japanese presentation, Sega America has announced that Shin Sakura Taisen will release in North America and Europe in Spring 2020. The game has not been given an official English title yet, and is currently referred to as Project Sakura Wars. The official English website can be found here.

The stage is set in a romanticized version of 1940s Imperial Tokyo. 10 years ago, a cataclysm resulted in the devastating loss of the Imperial Combat Revue of Tokyo, the capital's global defense force operating out of the Imperial Theater. The theater has since fallen on hard times and risks closure. As captain of the new Tokyo revue, it's up to you to mend the hearts of your troops and restore the Imperial Theater back to its former glory!

With its strong emphasis on character-driven storytelling and relationship building, fans will find plenty to love with Project Sakura Wars!

Project Sakura Wars Features:

The Most Immersive Story Yet--During your adventure, you will be able to interact with a colorful cast of characters through the dynamic LIPS dialogue system, where what you say and how you say it has a profound impact on these relationships both off and on the battlefield.

A Rewarding Battle System--Armed with powerful mechs known as "spiricle armor," the gameplay is augmented by a deep and robust combat system that takes full advantage of each squad member's unique abilities.

An Eye-catching Anime Production--Complete with gorgeous animated sequences and dramatic character arcs, the story will leave you hungry for what happens next.

Project Sakura Wars will feature Japanese voice acting with subtitles in English, German, French, and Spanish. The official teaser site is now available at https://games.sega.com/sakurawars/.

Project Sakura Wars Characters

Clarice (CV: Saori Hayami) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 16 years-old. She is from Luxembourg. She is a literary and sweet girl who loves reading books. Through books, she is learning various things each day and is filled to the brim with curiosity. Her full name is Clarissa Snowflake. She is the successor of the “Juumadou” black magic, which utilizes books, passed down in the noble Snowflake family of Luxembourg.

Hatsuho Shinonome (CV: Maaya Uchida) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 17 years-old. A shrine maiden of the Shinonome Shrine, passed down from generation to generation in the Imperial Capital. Born in, she is a pure woman of Edo who loves, festivals, and the people of the town. While she usually comes off as rude, she is a mediator reliable to everyone in the Floral Division.

Seijuro Kamiyama (CV:Yohei Azakami) - The protagonist of New Sakura Wars. The leader of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 20 years-old. He originally served as a special service ship captain in the navy, but was reassigned to the Imperial Combat Revue, where he was appointed the commanding officer of the reborn “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.”

Sakura Amamiya (CV: Ayane Sakura) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 17 years-old. She admires Sakura Shinguuji, the top star of the former Floral Division, and enlists in the Floral Division as a novice member. She has strong feelings for the Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division that protects Tokyo, as well as the Imperial Opera Troupe that boosts the citizens’ spirits, and greatly desires the reconstruction of both sides.

Azami Mochizuki (CV: Hibiku Yamamura) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 13 years-old. The descendant of a ninja family that practice in the Mochizuki Style, she is a young prodigy that has mastered martial arts, tactics, weaponry, and more. Since before she could even perceive the world, she had a strict upbringing, and strongly believes in the “108 Laws” passed down from the ancient ninja village. Protecting those laws are of great importance to her.

Anastasia Palma (CV: Ayaka Fukuhara) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 19 years-old. A star who played an active role in European theater. She wandered from troupe to troupe before joining the Imperial Combat Revue. Her singing and acting talents are top class, and given her looks, she can handle a wide range of roles, from men roles to sexy women roles.
    Source: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8380-se...in-spring-2020

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it being fully 3D or with their choice for the character designer. But new Kohei Tanaka soundtracks are always welcome.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I'm also not crazy about the 3D graphics instead of 2D and the change in character designer. But SEGA wanted to go with what is currently popular, so they went with 3D and Bleach's designer. That's part of what makes me conflicted about this new game.

Aussie2B, I know you like otome visual novels, so I was wondering if you have ever tried the otome Sakura Wars manga.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sega's attempt to modernize their old franchises in this kind of way doesn't seem to be working out that well for them, so I don't know why they think that's the ticket. I mean, wasn't Shining Resonance Refrain a bit of a flop? And it hasn't worked well for other developers too, like when Konami got the Death Note guy for Castlevania Judgment.

I can't say I've seen the otome manga. I have to read manga all the time professionally, so at this point, I barely touch manga outside of work.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

A lot of what SEGA makes these days either doesn't sell well enough in Japan so it doesn't get western releases or it doesn't leave Japan even if it sells well due to licensing costs or "being too Japanese." While a lot of SEGA's efforts to modernize their games have been unsuccessful and resulted in games that "remained in Japan" (Those modern Shining games will never be as popular in the West as the Shining Force series was.), others have been wildly profitable and successful such as Phantasy Star Online 2 despite not getting a release in AU/NZ/EU or the Americas.

Honestly speaking though, I resonated better with Japanese pop media during the 1990's. Yeah, I didn't like some anime, manga, JP video games, etc. back in the 90's too, but the difference between the percentage I liked back then (high) and now (low) is gigantic. Part of that is because I've changed, but part of that is because Japanese pop media has changed too, and I'd argue it has been for the worse.

I don't know, back then it seemed that things were a little more grounded and "all audiences" in nature and less ...weird? ...niche? Yes, yes, I know, there's "always been a lot of weird Japanese things," but these days it seems that instead of a show or other medium trying to appeal to all ages and genders, these days anime, etc. seem to target a specific niche and only that niche. So back then you could say, "Check out this cool new game!" (or whatever it was) and as long as it was subbed or dubbed into English so people could understand it, most people would say something like, "That was pretty cool!"

But these days it is like a 1% chance if I will even like or tolerate a particular given Japanese thing from start to conclusion. I think part of that is that the day-to-day life and characters' practical concerns is gone from the shows and games and replaced with things like, "Yeah, we were in a normal school or workplace with roll calls, budgets, and deadlines, but now we've all forgotten about that!" or a preoccupation with impractical fashion with seven buckles and twelve belts and nine zippers on their hats. Yeah, it's always been a minority of manga, anime, games, etc. that has, say, given practical armor or uniforms to all of its characters that are going into battle, but these days - especially with JRPG's - it seems less like a squadron of warriors is going into battle and more like a crazy-wild Paris fashion show stumbled off the runway and into a dungeon somehow.

I guess I just require more "manga for the middle-aged" or something. But remember how anime from the 70's and 80's and 90's seemed to be more inclusive? Like how the shows had a greater variety of races and skin colors? And how, despite their tendencies, shows seemed to appeal to both males and females? As I said, there are plenty of older anime, manga, and Japanese video games that I don't like, but even today the percentage of JP pop media from the 70's - 90's that I like is much higher than the percentage of the same from the 2000's - 2010's that I like.

By the way, Aussie2B, what kind of job concerns that much manga? And what lets you enjoy visual novels even though you have overdosed on manga? Is it because visual novels have music, sound effects, voice acting, visual effects, choices to make, and are in color while most manga is grayscale, passive, and silent?

If anyone wants to read the otome / shoujo Sakura Wars manga, just search the Web for "Sakura Taisen Kanadegumi" and you should find an English translation of some of it. It might be worth your while!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

*Scream in Cherry Blossoms*

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

From what I understand, a lot of entertainment industries in Japan have been shrinking (probably in conjunction with on and off again recession in Japan since the 90s), and they seem to have the attitude that expanding their audiences is a lost cause. Instead, they've double downed on retaining the established fans. So now products are designed to appeal to hardcore otaku, which is only exacerbating the problem of a shrinking audience. Newbies and more "casual" (for lack of a better word) fans are put off by the niche stuff, and a certain percentage of hardcore fans will fade away no matter what you do. This is why there are barely any traditional Japanese RPGs anymore. Almost everything is in niche sub-genres, like first-person dungeon crawlers, because fans of those are seen as more dedicated and will buy even if a game is low-budget. Then on top of that they add things for sickos and fanservice to attract otaku who may not care much about the gameplay but will buy any game if it's got waifus for them to obsess over.

I do freelance editing and proofreading, and the majority of the time I'm working on manga localizations. Visual novels feel a lot different for me, yeah, but even then, if I'm swamped in work, sometimes I won't be in the mood to pick up a VN and read even more. My work definitely affects the speed of my VN playing too. You have to read very slow and methodical for proofreading, so that's just how my reading is wired now, whether I'm working or not.
    Last edited by Nz17; 04-08-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: edited for the sake of keeping the thread friendly for Google Ads standards