Thread: Retro-bit is Making Official Reproductions of Classic NES Games like Metal Storm

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Retro-bit is Making Official Reproductions of Classic NES Games like Metal Storm

According to its Twitter account, Retro-bit will be making more official repros of classic games for NES and other consoles. These aren't official as in "Licensed by Nintendo," but they are official as in licensed by Jaleco, Data East, and Irem for example. Retro-bit has said that these newer carts will be even higher quality than their existing repro cartridges. Some of the new repros they announced include one of my favorite games for the NES, Metal Storm! And it's a good thing too: when I originally got my cart-only copy of Metal Storm back-in-the-day as a gift, it probably cost between $4 and $20. These days a cart-only copy apparently sells online for $110! Retro-bit's asking price of only $30 for a complete copy of Metal Storm (if it is priced the same as the Data East All Star Collection) seems like a very good price in comparison!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Not really interested but if they can produce a 100% legal translation of Sweet Home, I might buy it

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So umm.... I just used Google and tried to find a list of all Retro-Bit reproducts (particularly game releases). I've found news about individual releases but where can I find everything they've done? EDIT Their official site is close to what I wanted but it doesn't mention the recent Holy Diver or R-Type releases, or this Metal Storm upcoming.

Tho apparently a machine they produced has an emulated version of X-Multiply. MUST HAVE.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 04-12-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I hope they bring down the values of the original, licensed releases. I can't claim to never buy unlicensed games, like Tengen releases on NES and what have you, but overall my interest in collecting them is much lower than with licensed releases, so repros having the backing of the developer doesn't mean much to me. They're basically on the same level as homebrew developers doing a physical run of their games. They're still unauthorized at the end of the day.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Maybe the DUMBEST idea yet.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Retro-bit posts more on Twitter than their own Web site.

You’ve experienced Holy Diver, R-Type, Data East classics, Joe & Mac and more. Now Retro-Bit has brought you another #NES classic: Metal Storm! Get ready to challenge yourself with one of NES’ best! Exclusively available online at Castlemania and Limited Run Games
    Source: https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/s...05520706826240

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

At first, I was interested in possibly picking up one or two of their multi-game SNES carts. Then I found out that the build quality of the actual PCB isn't too far above what you'd find in any run of the mill cheapo pirate cart. I quickly hit the eject button.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    so repros having the backing of the developer doesn't mean much to me. They're basically on the same level as homebrew developers doing a physical run of their games. They're still unauthorized at the end of the day.
    If it has the backing of the developer, how is it unauthorized?

I otherwise understand the idea that these are basically just officially-sanctioned repro carts but I don't get why people are so down on that. If it works in a real NES then its just as good as the original. The important thing is the game, after all.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    If it has the backing of the developer, how is it unauthorized?

I otherwise understand the idea that these are basically just officially-sanctioned repro carts but I don't get why people are so down on that. If it works in a real NES then its just as good as the original. The important thing is the game, after all.
    I think what she means is that they are technically unlicensed, meaning Nintendo didnt sign off on it. They are legal but not endorsed by Nintendo at all, like Aladdin, Color Dreams, Tengen, Wisdom Tree

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not sure if they're even technically legal these days, with the DMCA in place. Nobody makes unlicensed games for modern systems anymore, and hardware manufacturers probably don't care about new games for platforms they long ago abandoned. Nintendo wouldn't license a new NES release even if someone approached them trying to do everything on the up-and-up.