Thread: Is the platforming collect-a-thon genre dead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Is the platforming collect-a-thon genre dead?

I grew up playing games like Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Rocket Robot on Wheels, Spyro the Dragon, and Croc. These games primarily involve walking around and collecting shiny things while killing bad guys. They are all cartoonish in nature.

Ive been out of the new gaming scene for a decade and some change but do they still make these games?

It seems that if a game is more innocent or child-targeted, it is a Mario game, but to me, Mario is old hat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, there's Yooka Laylee, made by some folk from Rare that worked on the Banjo games. I can't think of any others.

I haven't really seen other collectathons in a long time. It seems games have gone away ftom platforming and went to craft-a-thons (ie uou have to build everything).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's still there, just not as prevalent. On the Switch there's Super Mario Odyssey, PSVR has Astro Bot. Ratchet and Clank was released on PS4.

Technically they're still there as Ubisoft games. Just about anything 3D open world now days features some sort of realism in it. Maybe because now days people expect these massive open worlds(I don't, I'd prefer to have your smaller well crafted interconnected worlds than the massive open worlds we have today) and it is probably just too difficult to make a bunch of unique animal like characters that are appealing to your average gamer, because let's be serious, for the most part it's the average gamer and only the average gamer that matters. There are devs out there that go for the niche audience because they don't have the budget in the first place, but any publisher or developer that's looking for a lot of sales will usually try and attract the attention of the mass majority.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

There is a game for switch called Poi: Explorers edition that is pretty fun and pretty cheap to buy. It's exactly the type of game you are thinking of too.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd ditto what YoshiM said in that the platformer genre as a whole has largely died out, not just specifically collect-athons. These days, there's little besides retro-style indies, the occasional Nintendo offering (Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, etc.), and a handful of other games. In a way, you could argue it's the 32/64-bit 3D platformers that led to the current state of things, because those became more like exploration-focused action adventure games than anything involving actual platforming. That trend went a step further with the following generation, with so-called platformers putting other gameplay elements ahead of platforming, like shooting or what have you. So 3D platformers sort of evolved their way out of actually being platformers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I agree with the previous posts about how the 3D platformer genre has become more and more niche as time goes on. Its not completely dead yet. That said, I feel that it has become a set of elements that are present in a lot of other games (much like how 'RPG elements' became a thing). There's an absolute glut of games where platforming is a major part of the gameplay, and collectibles are very much still alive and well across the board. How well these things are implemented and blend into a given game is all over the place, though.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.