Thread: Limited Run Games Forum Closing

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Limited Run Games Forum Closing

I just read the Limited Run forums are closing soon. It seems like a lot of the people there are unhappy with Discord and Twitter being the alternative that Limited Run is presenting as the temporary replacements. I don't really post over there, just browse, but it seems like generally the people like the forum structure for discussing the games. Not sure what the proper way to go about this kind of thing would be, but does anyone here think it would be worth throwing a "Hey DP is a game forum site" invite out to the folks over at limited run?

I'm just thinking that DP has been pretty quiet for a long time now, and those members are pretty good about being up to date on new releases and whatnot. There may be a few people that can be a bit more animated than others there sometimes, and I know some people have different opinions about different online communities, but I want this discussion to be whether or not you guys (especially NZ17) thinks it may be worth mentioning over there that there is room over here. Even if I or someone did mention DP over there, there isn't a guarantee anyone will want to come here either.

Also worth mentioning: I'm so out of touch with whats acceptable for cross referencing different forums, please feel free to lock this thread, tell me to shut up, or move to a different section than modern gaming if this doesn't belong here.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I just read the Limited Run forums are closing soon. It seems like a lot of the people there are unhappy with Discord and Twitter being the alternative that Limited Run is presenting as the temporary replacements. I don't really post over there, just browse, but it seems like generally the people like the forum structure for discussing the games. Not sure what the proper way to go about this kind of thing would be, but does anyone here think it would be worth throwing a "Hey DP is a game forum site" invite out to the folks over at limited run?

I'm just thinking that DP has been pretty quiet for a long time now, and those members are pretty good about being up to date on new releases and whatnot. There may be a few people that can be a bit more animated than others there sometimes, and I know some people have different opinions about different online communities, but I want this discussion to be whether or not you guys (especially NZ17) thinks it may be worth mentioning over there that there is room over here. Even if I or someone did mention DP over there, there isn't a guarantee anyone will want to come here either.

Also worth mentioning: I'm so out of touch with whats acceptable for cross referencing different forums, please feel free to lock this thread, tell me to shut up, or move to a different section than modern gaming if this doesn't belong here.
    Those forums have become a toxic waste dump. I don't really think most of the participants over there would bring much of value to these forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Those forums have become a toxic waste dump. I don't really think most of the participants over there would bring much of value to these forums.
    It can be sometimes, yes. Also one of the reasons I brought it up here first. I suppose people will find DP on their own if they so wish. Just kind of throwing the idea out there, it doesn't change my life either way.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Anybody is welcome here as long as they follow our rules, and I don't see any issue with plugging DP elsewhere.

It's a shame they're pulling the plug on the LRG forum, but it's been neglected for a long time, so clearly LRG themselves don't care to put in the effort to deal with the spam, trolls, and what have you. But it is kind of a joke for them to suggest that Discord and Twitter is a "replacement". An alternative, sure, but forums are forums and Discord is a chatting service. Totally different feel and function.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Anybody is welcome here as long as they follow our rules, and I don't see any issue with plugging DP elsewhere.

It's a shame they're pulling the plug on the LRG forum, but it's been neglected for a long time, so clearly LRG themselves don't care to put in the effort to deal with the spam, trolls, and what have you. But it is kind of a joke for them to suggest that Discord and Twitter is a "replacement". An alternative, sure, but forums are forums and Discord is a chatting service. Totally different feel and function.
    I was thinking alternative, not replacement. You pretty much got what I meant though. I think I may just throw DP out there as another alternative for those folks. DP has some great material as well that some may not know about, such as the rarity guide and older articles found here. The only 2 forums I visit are DP and LRG, so if some of the consturctive discussions on limited games make their way here, I'm all for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It looks like the forum is gone. Not sure what happened with it or if it just got moved. Could have sworn those guys were saying that they somehow convinced them to keep the forum open. I checked out the Discord, and I'm officially getting old. To me, when I open the page, it just looks like a bunch of hashtags and emojis. I don't do modern day hieroglyphics, so I'll stick to my websites where people speak English (or any actual language for that matter). It's too bad too. It was a great place to get info about upcoming game releases.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    It looks like the forum is gone. Not sure what happened with it or if it just got moved. Could have sworn those guys were saying that they somehow convinced them to keep the forum open. I checked out the Discord, and I'm officially getting old. To me, when I open the page, it just looks like a bunch of hashtags and emojis. I don't do modern day hieroglyphics, so I'll stick to my websites where people speak English (or any actual language for that matter). It's too bad too. It was a great place to get info about upcoming game releases.
    Forum is still there and they agreed to allow the fans to keep it open. LRG just took the link off their store page as it's not being run by them anymore.

http://mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bojay1997 For This Useful Post:

Aussie2B (04-18-2019), mailman187666 (04-17-2019)

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

I am seeing it more often than I’d care to mention honestly. A lot of forum communities seem to be slowly devolving as the company just switches to discord or twitter or Facebook as a method of communicating with players. World of Warships just came out for console and completely canceled their forums in favor of those options.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.