Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What are the chances of an offlne gaming console being released in the future?

  1. #1
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default What are the chances of an offlne gaming console being released in the future?

    Meaning a game console that can not connect to the internet like any console released before Dreamcast (Im not counting X-Band)

    Not wanting to debate the merits of whether the idea is good or bad but simply the liklihood of it ever happening.

    Im going to say "yes" given all the pushback to online connectivity. I think it will come in the form of a crowd funded project and if that is successful, Nintendo may do something offline that would be a companion to their main console that would still be online. And then maybe Sony and Microsoft could follow suit
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  2. #2
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Crowd funded indie* developer i meant
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  3. #3
    Great Puma (Level 12) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,060
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    47
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

    Default

    I don't see it happening. Is there really push back? I mean more than from just a handful of retro-gamers? Maybe like you said, through a kickstarter campaign, but even still, for a console to be successful it needs games, lots of games, and physical games are expensive to produce.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  4. #4
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I don't see it happening. Is there really push back? I mean more than from just a handful of retro-gamers? Maybe like you said, through a kickstarter campaign, but even still, for a console to be successful it needs games, lots of games, and physical games are expensive to produce.
    Agree. There is no real demand for this. Even if you don't like the social or online play aspects of modern consoles, having the ability to download patches and fixes for hardware and software is critical.

  5. #5
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    They're made every day, they're called plug-and-play consoles.

  6. #6
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    They're made every day, they're called plug-and-play consoles.
    Those are just clone consoles usually. Id like a system with modern controller and new modern games
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  7. #7
    Cherry (Level 1) WulfeLuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

    Default

    Unless the stars align and some sort of indie project gets of the ground, its just not going to happen. I don't really like it, I'm not going to like it, but that's how it is. Devs and publishers are going for minimum effort, short development cycle, and using dollar bills as earplugs instead of actually listening and fixing. OTOH, the convenience of downloading games makes things all too easy for the average consumer; we're in a culture of 'right now' especially when it comes to entertainment. My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

  8. #8
    Pretzel (Level 4)
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Unless the stars align and some sort of indie project gets of the ground, its just not going to happen. I don't really like it, I'm not going to like it, but that's how it is. Devs and publishers are going for minimum effort, short development cycle, and using dollar bills as earplugs instead of actually listening and fixing. OTOH, the convenience of downloading games makes things all too easy for the average consumer; we're in a culture of 'right now' especially when it comes to entertainment. My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    I think people underestimate how many people still want to support brick and mortar stores.

    A good argument for this is the resurgence of vinyl/new music being produced on vinyl
    On a quest to buy every video game magazine- PM if you have any for sale

  9. #9
    Great Puma (Level 12) jb143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,060
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    47
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    My work place has a fairly strong collective of 'serious' gamers, but most of them would rather die than wait for a physical copy of anything. Ironic that "buying Final Fantasy 7 for 40 bucks at Best Buy" is becoming the gamer equivalent of "walked 15 miles in the snow to get to school."
    The ironic thing is that in some cases they probably wait hours or more for the game to download.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

  10. #10
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I think people underestimate how many people still want to support brick and mortar stores.

    A good argument for this is the resurgence of vinyl/new music being produced on vinyl
    As someone who collects vinyl, I can assure you that the brick and mortar part of that uptick in sales is almost nonexistent. Sure, Barnes and Noble and Target have small selections of vinyl, but I don't know anyone that actually buys it there. In fact, a bunch of retail music stores that cropped up in the last decade have closed or are in the process of downsizing or closing. Amazon and other online retailers have most of the market and Amazon actually has special protective packaging for vinyl which means that for the most part, you can get it both cheaper and in better condition online rather than going to a retail store.

Similar Threads

  1. future of gaming?
    By extra_anchovy in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 02:11 PM
  2. future of gaming
    By mailman187666 in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
  3. chances of mother 3 being released stateside?
    By Richter Belmount in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 09:41 PM
  4. The Future of Gaming?
    By dr mario kart in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 10:27 PM
  5. What every future console should have as standard specs
    By Anthony1 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 12:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •