Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Genesis actually did what Nintendidn't.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default When Genesis actually did what Nintendidn't.

Can you think of any games where the Genesis version was superior to the SNES version? For me the biggest one was Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. I just remember the animations being better, the sound/music as well.

Mortal Kombat 1 is always said to be better on the Genesis but I never played either version.

Jurassic Park on the Gen was really good, and I feel like it was a different game on the SNES, could be wrong.

I feel like Street Fighter 2 was better on the Genesis. Faster gameplay plus the 6 button controller.

Can anyone think of some good examples?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-18-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

The Adventures of Batman & Robin were completely different on the SNES and Genesis, just like Jurassic Park, so it's likely a matter of taste.

However, the Genesis version pulled off some amazing pseudo-3D graphical techniques that the SNES would have been hard pressed to do:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pr3tty F1y For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Other examples:
    Aladdin - Sega did the Genesis version working with Disney and Capcom did the SNES version. Both were good games, but the Genesis version is generally lauded as superior due to it's animation/art style. However, the SNES definitely can pump out music that's more authentic to the source.

Earthworm Jim and Cool Spot were both originally programmed for the Genesis and then ported to the SNES. This results in a more zoomed in view in the SNES version as the Genesis is running at either 320x240 or 320x224 (I can't remember what it does off the top of my head) while the SNES versions run at their standard 256x224 resolution. If I recall correctly, Earthworm Jim 2 is superior on the SNES as I *think* it was the original version for ports.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

With a lot of multiplatform games for both of these systems, there isn't one version that's universally better. Some aspects will be better, while other aspects will be worse. So it comes down to what you value more. For example, B.O.B. was originally developed for Genesis, so the music was created around that hardware and sounds like a mess on SNES. But they built an improved control scheme around the SNES controller, so the game plays better on SNES.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    Aladdin - Sega did the Genesis version working with Disney and Capcom did the SNES version. Both were good games, but the Genesis version is generally lauded as superior due to it's animation/art style. However, the SNES definitely can pump out music that's more authentic to the source.
    Aladdin on the Genesis was made by Virgin Games with Disney, published by Sega. I do tend to prefer the Genesis version but Capcom's on the SNES is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    Earthworm Jim and Cool Spot were both originally programmed for the Genesis and then ported to the SNES. This results in a more zoomed in view in the SNES version as the Genesis is running at either 320x240 or 320x224 (I can't remember what it does off the top of my head) while the SNES versions run at their standard 256x224 resolution. If I recall correctly, Earthworm Jim 2 is superior on the SNES as I *think* it was the original version for ports.
    I seem to remember the creator of Earthworm Jim preferring the Genesis version over the SNES as the Genesis version had more frames of animation. I prefer the Genesis version too, though I don't own the Sega CD version and I haven't tried playing the PC version. I do like Cool Spot but I only remember playing the Genesis version

Mickey Mania was also better on the Genesis, strangely everything about the SNES version was worse including the music and graphics, and the SNES introduced loading times that weren't on the Genesis version. Thunder Force III on the Genesis was better than Thunder Spirits on SNES. I do like B.O.B. on the Genesis, I hear a lot of people dislike the game so I'm not sure if that's because they played the SNES version. I find whenever there's games on both the Genesis and SNES, I prefer the Genesis version. There may be a few exceptions but I can't think of any at the moment. With Micro Machines I tend to prefer the NES original so I'm not sure how that counts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always preferred the Genesis versions of NBA Jam & NBA Jam T.E. over the SNES ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Mortal Kombat looked a little better on Genesis (and still had all the ballyhoo about blood intact), but seemed to play better (from a input standpoint, the response seemed much more in-sync with button presses) with SNES for some reason. It didn't make much sense then, it doesn't really make sense now.

That's about I've played first-hand on both. I've played a couple of things that turned out to be different animals on different consoles, like the aforementioned Aladdin games (Genesis was very damn good, but I like the SNES version better). NBA Jam is something I've only played on Genesis, MK3 on SNES, a couple of others I can't remember.

Locally, you picked one console and stuck with that as far what you had. Your buddy down the street picked the other and you went to their house or vice versa if you wanted to play the other console, and everybody stuck to exclusives for the most part. Prepubescent pragmatism at its finest.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    With a lot of multiplatform games for both of these systems, there isn't one version that's universally better. Some aspects will be better, while other aspects will be worse. So it comes down to what you value more. For example, B.O.B. was originally developed for Genesis, so the music was created around that hardware and sounds like a mess on SNES. But they built an improved control scheme around the SNES controller, so the game plays better on SNES.
    Huh, I found (after playing and beating both versions) that B.O.B. was actually quite a bit better on the SNES. I played the Genesis cart first, and the SNES felt like a real upgrade. I wrote up a comparison here:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post511733

The 30Hz scrolling and lack of a dedicated punch button really hurts the Genesis version. I also found that it was a lot easier to spot dangerous (i.e. damage-causing) sections of floor in the SNES version.

This topic is one of great interest to me, especially when it comes to less-popular games (since most of the more popular ones have been done to death).

It might seem like a dubious honor, but I find that cross-platform shovelware is often a real win for the Genesis. It may not look or sound quite as good -- gradients/dithering, poor implementation of FM synthesis, etc. -- but those games often have a lot more slowdown on the SNES, and the Genesis's higher onscreen resolution often gives you a larger playfield.

One example is the Itchy & Scratchy Game. Far too often, in the SNES version, you literally can't see Scratchy coming because you lose those horizontal pixels that make him visible in the Genesis port. Even though the Genesis game is only a prototype, it's significantly more playable than the officially-released SNES game.

Or take the Chester Cheetah games, especially the second one. ("I'd rather not," everyone replies.) The slowdown in the SNES port is absolutely nuts -- it starts to chug with almost nothing onscreen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

One thing I'd like to add is a question. Why did Super Street Fighter II on the Genesis/Mega Drive use a 5 megabyte cart when the SNES only had a 4 megabyte cart. I never did much to compare the games, but the SNES does have better color. Does the Genesis just have more frames of animation that were cut from the SNES? Were the endings different? Or was it just at the that point in the SNES' life that companies figured out better data compression algorithms on the SNES?

I know neither used a special chip, and typically, because the SNES had higher color graphics, they took more space to store = less frames of animation (plus the slower CPU). If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be happy to hear.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I always liked Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles better than Super Mario World. Super Mario World was more complex, but those Sonics were just more fun. The SNES also gets a lot of praise for its sound, and it was good, but for certain kinds of music the Genesis won.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The Genesis had some funky tunes. I liked the beats in ToeJam and Earl

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Scooby Doo Mystery.

I've said it before. The Genesis version is an awesome Lucasarts-esque adventure game, the SNES one is a lame platformer/fetch quest thing.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jungle Book and Toy Story are better on Genesis.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruudos For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I was thinking,sparkster i see the genesis version be better then the snes version i just prefer how genesis version plays more.Beside the fact genesis sparkster is a full on sequel where's the snes version is more of a imagining of the first game.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron 2.0 For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-20-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aladdin and Earthworm Jim are pretty much unanimous in being better, the devs preferred the platform and really put time into it with those games. I do know that Aladdin was by different devs but still, the Genny version is better. There are a few others out there, usually shooters iirc, especially games that came out early on both platforms. As far as Mortal Kombat goes, it's all opinion but i always felt the SNES version was better since the Genesis seemed so horrible graphics wise, it's like they didn't even try to get good graphics out of the Genesis. Yes it had the blood and the fatalities, for hardcore players it supposedly was closer in the "feel" to the arcade, too me it just seemed like a sloppy job and if the SNES had the blood and fatalities along with some "feel" tweeks, it would have ran circles around it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Aladdin on Genesis is flashier, but I think the SNES game has more substance. The Genesis game's controls are way too slippery and imprecise and only gets by on the fact that the game is fairly easy. If it were a harder game, its issues would be a lot more glaring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SNES loses cuz it didn't have the Road Rash games or Skitchin'

My only real complaint with the Genesis was that came with the 3 button controller when you needed the six for Mortal Kombat. that fucked up alot of fatalities.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    SNES loses cuz it didn't have the Road Rash games or Skitchin'

My only real complaint with the Genesis was that came with the 3 button controller when you needed the six for Mortal Kombat. that fucked up alot of fatalities.
    I can think of a lot more exclusives on the SNES than exclusives on the Gen but I will say the Road Rash Gen titles were some of the best racing games ever made

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I would say just about every EA Sports game much better on the Genesis, and also Pit Fighter also comes to mind.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I just remembered this: The Lost Vikings on the Genesis has extra levels that aren't in any other version.

Same goes for Blackthorne on the 32X but that also has redrawn graphics that look kinda uggo... also bringing in the 32X is probably cheating.

I have lately found that I can't play fighting games with the default SNES controller. It is incredibly difficult to do things such as quarter-circle moves. On the Genesis with the official 6-button pad tho, its no problem. Tho you could mitigate this by simply not using the official SNES controller.