Thread: Game Changers exhibit at the Science Museum of Minnesota

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Game Changers exhibit at the Science Museum of Minnesota

I finally got to go to this exhibit yesterday on its last day. It was a lot of fun, but also disappointing in a lot of ways. Some I understand because they seemed to be focusing on creators/developers rather than just popular games.

Summary: Start with some great arcade cabinets, all free playable. Turn the corner and there is jarring lurch to a Blizzard display, I think ICO and SOTC were right there, too, and a bunch of LEGO games. Next room has a weird hodgepodge of Sega stuff, including Virtua Fighter, and sit-down Super Hang-On and Out Run. Various games like Monkey Islands were represented. A pretty cool room for the music games: Rock Band, Sing something, and one of the Xbox dance games. Lots of people having fun there. And the last room had stuff like Rovio, Minecraft, Flow/Flower/Journey, and a cool tabletop touchscreen air-hockey/pong type game. I shot a video (link below), but it turned out pretty badly in the low light.

Tempest was there, which I had never played on an actual cabinet before. It exceeded my high expectations. My wife really liked it, too. I managed to make the scoreboard but was knocked off before we left. Most of the scores were reset, and we were there in the morning, so I also topped Missile Command, Bee Gee, Hang On, and at least one more. I'm not very good, so it was pretty fun to actually get a chance to put in my initials. My son fell in love with Reactor, and put high scores (the only scores) on it. Other than Donkey Kong, I didn't see anything Nintendo, which was very strange. Also strange that the oldest console I saw was a Genesis. And no mention of Ralph Baer. Some of those omissions were quite odd.

Not sure if this is a travelling thing or not. I wouldn't pay admission just for this exhibit, and fortunately it was included with Science museum entry (sometimes special exhibits cost extra there). Plus we had some free passes, so it was a great few hours on a Sunday morning.

https://youtu.be/mKdpy52EK9Q
    -apologies for the poor quality. I was trying not to be obtrusive, so I went too quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

They have something similar at the St. Louis Science Center. It was pretty cool but could have been much much better.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Wish i wouldve known, I would have gone.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Wish i wouldve known, I would have gone.
    I should have said something on here, I knew someone was in the area. But it only really came up on my radar last weekend when a friend mentioned it. I did have some inkling of it though, because Surly made a beer collaboration for it... they had a bar they called the 8-bit lounge or something. A bit ironic considering they didn't really have any "8-bit" game representation. I couldn't make it to the bar, though.

Here's the link with a list of all the games. Still up for now. https://www.smm.org/gamechangers
    Last edited by Cornelius; 05-06-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

20 bucks thats a lot cheaper than a con. Best thing about these events is meeting people with same interests which isnt always easy for me