Thread: *sobs* I did it... I watched the Street Fighter movie

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default *sobs* I did it... I watched the Street Fighter movie

So I'm back into Linkara, and he heavily hinted he's going to be reviewing a comic of the Street Fighter movie soon.

I've had a DVD of it for years (got it for three bucks) but... I've been dreading it. Like, its a movie nobody defends. Even Super Mario Bros. has its fans (I honestly think its an interesting take on the Mario universe), but Street Fighter, no.

But I figured it was finally time.

.... I went in with a little hope. I mean the USA Network animated series was kinda-sorta an attempt to reconcile the movie with the games, and that was better than I thought...

...I had kids with me too. I had to profusely apologize to them afterwards by showing them the SFII anime movie, and then the actual game.

Okay, like...

Where do I start?

Like, its not even the inaccuracies that bother me, its that the SF movie feels absolutely directionless. Even episodes of Bibleman tend to actually have a logical through-line. This felt like "here's a thing that happened: the movie." Like, Guile fakes his death... but then like, he doesn't even hide his being alive... and like suddenly there's this guy who wants to give in to Bison instead of attack, which Guile is immediately like "no f---- you" in a scene that would've been inspiring if there had been any buildup to it... and like, suddenly Chun-Li tries to kill Bison in his bedroom and actually nearly succeeds... and like, he gives a speech about how if they had worked together it might've worked, but they DID work together so what the hell Dictator?

Like.... this movie almost feels like a practical joke.

How is it that the Mortal Kombat movie was actually pretty good, but then Street Fighter tanked so hard?

Why does Bison have a flying desk with blue lights that look like eyes? Why does this feel more like Command & Conquer Meets Mighty Morphin Power Rangers than anything?

I need to go take some painkillers.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

To you, the day you watched the Street Fighter Movie was one of the worst days of your life. For me...it was Tuesda..er, Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now watch The Legend of Chun Li..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Since you watched the live action SF movie here's you're prize
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0j0lO7uQBo

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I remember catching it on one of the premium movie channels while house-sitting for a friend a few years ago, and laughing my ass off at the sheer stupidity of much of it. At the same time, I had to marvel at the spectacle of the catastropiece. JCVD doing his thing, a terminally ill Raul Julia devouring the scenery with aplomb, Zangief and his cheerful idiocity, etc. etc. etc. Perhaps I would've enjoyed it less if I were a huge fan of the SF series, but it made for an amusing example of the oft-maligned video game movie genre. Instead of being induced to go and "Quick, change the channel!", I ended up watching the whole thing.
    -Adam

"Have you lost your mind?!" "No.....you've lost your BALLS!!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Now watch The Legend of Chun Li..
    I caught a lot of that on TV once. I remember being all like "why is Bison just some boring dude in a business suit now?"

Also it led to another disappointment. That movie had a point that explained that Bison became fully evil by putting all his goodness literally into another person, which became Rose. I was like "that's the dumbest crap I've ever heard."

Then I found out that the filmmakers weren't the ones who made that up...

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Since you watched the live action SF movie here's you're prize
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0j0lO7uQBo
    Sad thing is that cartoon series is kind of like the movie done "right." I probably need to go through it again but I remember buying the DVDs and expecting a complete disaster, but instead it was actually kinda good.

I haven't had the courage to watch the US Darkstalkers cartoon yet tho... that's one I'm dreading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I caught a lot of that on TV once. I remember being all like "why is Bison just some boring dude in a business suit now?"

Sad thing is that cartoon series is kind of like the movie done "right." I probably need to go through it again but I remember buying the DVDs and expecting a complete disaster, but instead it was actually kinda good.

I haven't had the courage to watch the US Darkstalkers cartoon yet tho... that's one I'm dreading.
    I see the u.s street fighter cartoon in the hilariously bad category.You can't help but watch it and wonder,how it got even made to begin with.The same can be said for the u.s darkstalkers cartoon as well.Though i find the SF&Darkstalkers anime to be the more faithful adaptation regardless.Funny enough though the live action street fighter movie became a cult classic for being a bad movie,to begin with.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I love the Street Fighter movie. It's pure cheese at its finest.

I'm gonna shuffle this over to Classic Gaming too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My friend nabbed this on VHS at a flea market something like 15 years ago. We both have a taste for gloriously bad movies so we went for it. I can't say much for the heroes since they felt like 80's GI Joe characters stuck IRL but Bison...Bison amuses me greatly. Raul Julia just trashing the scenery like the ideal blend of two decades of cartoon villains was awesome.

Super Mario Brothers is that rare crappy movie that everybody was so clearly having a blast making anyway. You want a surprisingly decent video game flick, try In the Name of the King. We went to go give it the MST3K treatment and wound up honestly liking it a lot. Went back something like twice.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never had any interest in watching this movie, the only thing that piques my interest is Kylie Minogue dressed as Cammy. I can't imagine there's any other reason to watch.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It is an unironically excellent movie. Street Fighter is a flawless live action adaptation of 80s era Saturday morning television. I'll never understand how people can sing the praises of Transformers, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and G.I. Joe and in the same breath talk shit about this film. It takes every single major theme present in those cartoons and distills them to their purest form. It is actually a perfect movie, which is what I'd expect from the guy who wrote Die Hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

It is the answer to Anti-Life Equation

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    It is an unironically excellent movie. Street Fighter is a flawless live action adaptation of 80s era Saturday morning television. I'll never understand how people can sing the praises of Transformers, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and G.I. Joe and in the same breath talk shit about this film. It takes every single major theme present in those cartoons and distills them to their purest form. It is actually a perfect movie, which is what I'd expect from the guy who wrote Die Hard.
    You just love talking to me, don't you? ^__^

I can kinda see where you're coming from (especially with the G.I. Joe comparison.... and I guess someone back in the day thought so as well since when we got Street Fighter action figures, they were marketed as a G.I. Joe sub-series, and then the US animated series was produced by the same team behind G.I. Joe which explains a lot...) but while it might have similar themes, ultimately I kinda felt it was just that: A collection of things-you-might-recognize-from-elsewhere but often feeling just kinda thrown in as if they were random afterthoughts.

Granted I've become more forgiving ever since hearing some info and finding out that the production was rushed and experienced tons of setbacks, so it probably could not have come out any better than it did. Which is kinda sad, I would honestly enjoy this if it were more fleshed out. As it is, I'm with most people in seeing Zangief and Bison as the highlight... and it does make me wanna re-watch the US animated series.

.... on a semi-related note, I'm kinda sad that movies both like this and like the anime movie could never be made today. The Street Fighter canon (which people would demand any new production stick to) is just too convoluted now. Seriously now there's something about Ryu having an evil side and channeling the power of the Sensui no Hado or whatever its called. It's just like the Marvel Universe--basically the way to make it fun again is to pretend everything after 1990 never happened, and that's something none of the current showrunners or licensors are ever gonna do. At best, we get some Alt Universe with a clean slate, but they always screw those up... and there's a tendency to reintroduce the lame elements anyway (like how Ultimate Spider-Man STILL had a Clone Saga, even though NOBODY likes the Clone Saga).

Part of me actually liked the original idea of Street Fighter III, that it was gonna be all-new characters, but between fan complaints and corporate cold feet, that wound up out the window... just like Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2 replacing Solid Snake.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Back in the Street Fighter II days, most fighting games were inspired by action movies of the era. It was a heightened reality but still grounded in something recognizable. That's what made the characters from SFII, Fatal Fury, and Mortal Kombat so relatable even though we didn't really know anything about them aside from maybe a brief bio and a 10 second ending. People didn't need a lot of backstory or explanation. They walked up to the cabinet, saw Ryu or Zangief and like magic they'd just "get it." That kind of elegance in design doesn't seem to exist in modern fighting games anymore now that the anime cliches have taken over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It wasn't really the character designs that started to bother me, more just how the story started getting kinda dumb. It's a thing... the more complicated a character or story gets, the more braindead it gets as well. It happens a lot with manga and comic books. Scott Summers as an over-serious dude who shoots eye lasers is fine. Scott Summers as literally the center of the universe is dumb. Attack on Titan as a survival story regarding kaiju zombies is interesting, now its all this dumb stuff about conspiracies. Slenderman stories when they're just dudes getting chased by a weird paranormal figure are interesting, but then they introduce the proxies and the various "rules" and such, it gets dumb.

That being said I do dislike how anime has gotten so "out there," I prefer more down to earth. I don't mind dudes with oversized swords when they're a one-off or meant to be exceptional even in-universe, but show me a Tetsuya Nomura design and I'll show you a sign saying "no thanks."

But yeah, I liked Ryu more when he was just an eternal traveller and not a guy haunted by some dark power who the universe literally revolves around.