Thread: Rocket Knight Adventures (PAL) running on Japanese Wondermega

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Talking Rocket Knight Adventures (PAL) running on Japanese Wondermega

After a really long while I took out my old Sega Wondermega to give it a spin. 

I would love to hook it up with my SONY Trinitron CRT TV but it’s a bulky thing I had no choice but to settle with the SONY LCD TV. Burrowed the S-video cable from the TV room and fired it up for the session of Final Fight CD.
    With the audio DSP set to Game I had the blast playing and thankfully the 8BitDo RF wireless pad has no noticeable lag to speak of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wondermega_1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	10631

After that I played number of Japanese MegaDrive cartridges till I came across my one and only PAL cartridge, OZSoft released Rocket Knight Adventures. Obviously it wouldn’t play on the Wondermega which was the Japanese region console.

This got me thinking that I had picked up the adapter cartridge many years ago.
    After spending quite a while I managed to dig up the item in question, MagicKey III.
    However, after set up the DIP switch as per setting table printed on the box the game wouldn’t run.
    Just in case I tried the NTSC/US setting and of course that didn’t work either.

Name:	magickey3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	10632

Thinking the adapter cartridge was faulty since it wouldn’t be surprising as these adapters tended to go bad fairly often.
    But it proved rather difficult task as most of region adapter cartridges were for PAL consoles. Looking up I really didn’t see much of said adapter on Japanese auction site.

Thinking I might have to sell my PAL game and got the Japanese game instead I thought as the last resort let me tried to play with the DIP setting. Thus after several combo I finally found the reason why this adapter cartridge wouldn’t work.

Would you believe that the maker put the incorrect DIP setting table? 
    When I set the adapter to Brazil my PAL copy of Rocket Knight Adventures worked like charm.
    Still hard as I remembered though… 

Name:	IMG_8592.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	10633
    Last edited by dj898; 05-13-2019 at 08:58 PM.