Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What system spawned the most games that lead to franchises that are still alive today?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Yeah i didnt count the Mario series because Donkey Kong was an arcade title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Hmm, if we count Super Famicom as SNES then Star Ocean and the Tales series come readily to mind. Otherwise they'd be PS1. NES gets Fire Emblem.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's ironic to call others illiterate when you don't appear to understand the topic question itself. The question isn't which systems have had the most entries of any particular series but rather which systems got the most brand-new IPs that are still active today. If it were the former, you could just as well credit Final Fantasy to SNES or PlayStation, which also had three games apiece and played a critical role in the lasting popularity of their series (plus SNES and PlayStation had even more Final Fantasy games than NES if you count spin-offs like Mystic Quest and Tactics). Heck, the argument for crediting Final Fantasy to SNES or PlayStation is even stronger if you're ruling out Final Fantasy 2 as a SaGa title, but that's just plain silly. From all the context of the thread, it's clear that this topic is about where series have originated.
    That may very well be what he meant but the sentence itself does not mean that and nothing in the opening post said anything different.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The sentence does mean that, and you're the only person in this topic who drew a different interpretation. I can see how the "spawned the most games" could be confusing, but "that lead to franchises" makes it pretty clear. Sequels don't "lead to franchises", new IPs do (or new game IPs, in case of something like DuckTales, which already existed in other media). Either way, this is another case where it shows that it's best to read through a topic before hitting reply, and especially before flinging out insults.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think this one is kind of hard, but he did say to exclude the PC and arcade, so it's less difficult.

The NES would have to be it, and yes that includes the Famicom. So far that first post listed.
    Zelda
    Metroid
    Final Fantasy
    Dragon Warrior
    Castlevania
    Mega Man
    Duck Tales
    Bomberman

I can think one could also easily add in:
    Dr Mario
    Tetris
    Darkwing Duck (has a GB and TG16 game)
    Kid Icarus (GB and 3DS)
    Fire Emblem (FC to present)
    Famicom Wars (better known to most as Advance Wars)
    River City Ransom (Kunio)

I think the case for Mario could be made in all fairness though. Mario Bros was a stand alone arcade game, in Donkey Kong he was Jumpman even. Super Mario Bros itself from 1985 was entirely a different thing, sure Mario got his name on DK jr as a second banana bad guy daddy jailer but it wasn't the start of the actual Super Mario franchise and the mushroom kingdom that was born with it. I mean if you want to start splitting hairs that much, bomberman came out in 1983 on Japanese computers and mega man had points for a reason and that was it was an arcade game first.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The first Kunio-kun game was an arcade game. The earliest versions of Tetris were for computers.

This is the first I've ever heard anything about Mega Man being an arcade game first. Do you have a source on that?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The sentence does mean that, and you're the only person in this topic who drew a different interpretation. I can see how the "spawned the most games" could be confusing, but "that lead to franchises" makes it pretty clear. Sequels don't "lead to franchises", new IPs do (or new game IPs, in case of something like DuckTales, which already existed in other media). Either way, this is another case where it shows that it's best to read through a topic before hitting reply, and especially before flinging out insults.
    Another example would be Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. Because yes, the series originally released on the MSX2, but after the NES ports, the series all but disappeared until a whole two generations later. Its popularity and the reason the series still exists isn't because the original releases, it's because the PS1 release. Just like Mario Bros isn't the reason why the series blew up, it was the NES.

Now I know you might say, "well there's only one Metal Gear on the PS1." But the topic does also read "that lead to franchises that are still alive today." And if not for Metal Gear Solid and its popularity, the franchise wouldn't exist, the same way it didn't exist for such a long time after it first released. Seriously. 8 years without an entry and that's the Metal Gear 2 NES port. It's not like Kojima was working on an open world 2D game that would surpass everyone's expectations being the reason why it skipped a full generation and past the middle of the PS1 gen.

The topic title asks two questions, and none specifically state when the initial release of a series that still exists today. It actually only took this long for a reply because I was trying to think of a series that only exists because of a future title and didn't gain its popularity from its initial release. Because most games that gain popularity and exist are going to exist because of that initial release. Metal Gear is a rarity for sure. I'm sure there are others.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Are you seriously still arguing this? The topic creator himself confirmed that the question is about where game franchises originated, not where sub-series within franchises originated, nor where franchises were popularized.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Are you seriously still arguing this? The topic creator himself confirmed that the question is about where game franchises originated, not where sub-series within franchises originated, nor where franchises were popularized.
    Yeah basically.

I think the NESs popularity can be attributed to the fact that so many of todays popular series started on NES.