Thread: 72-pin replacements devalue the NES- thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default 72-pin replacements devalue the NES- thoughts?

Opinion: There are two NESs for sale in front of me. One was opened and has an aftermarket 72 pin connector in it and the other was never opened and has the original 72 pin connector in it. I am willing to pay at least 25% more or so for the virgin console.

I get so sick of seeing NESs advertised with the new pin as if that is a selling point. To me it just decreases the number of unadultered consoles floating around. Its really not hard to get the games to work if you clean the cartridge and the pin itself and try to insert it various ways.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just saying, I don't get your logic. Someone attempted repairs (which might even have been successful) and that's somehow a bad thing to you? You would prefer the console with original 30+ year old parts?

Let me put it this way, would you feel the same way about a Game Gear with replaced capacitors vs original capacitors?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I do prefer an NES to have its original pins, as those replacements are junk and tend to wear out quick, leaving it in an even worse state than it was with the original pins, but that said, a working system is still better than one that doesn't work. Trust me, you can clean the absolute heck out of your NES and carts and still have it barely work if the pins are bent out of shape. I used to have an NES like that. And I don't expect every random person who has an NES to have the desire or know-how to open up their NES and bend the pins back into making a decent connection, so I can't blame people for opting for clones or replacement pins or what have you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

As long as it works and doesn't have a death-grip on the cart, I'd go for the deck with the new pins.

Retro gamers and collectors are going have to realize that eventually, electronics on these consoles will fail. Even if never used, some components like certain capacitors will just dry out and could fail as soon as power is applied. Or plastic or wires could be brittle from just age. Our Ataris and NES decks aren't immortal. People will have to learn to or have someone repair their stuff or get modern equivalents.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    As long as it works and doesn't have a death-grip on the cart, I'd go for the deck with the new pins.

Retro gamers and collectors are going have to realize that eventually, electronics on these consoles will fail. Even if never used, some components like certain capacitors will just dry out and could fail as soon as power is applied. Or plastic or wires could be brittle from just age. Our Ataris and NES decks aren't immortal. People will have to learn to or have someone repair their stuff or get modern equivalents.
    The problem is that most the aftermarket pins Ive used and the clone consoles all had death grips, or at least felt awkward going in. I want my NES to feel like two golden retrievers in the throes of love making, not a great dane going at it with a Yorkshire terrier

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

If you "boil the connector" it removes the gunk from the pins. True it doesn't fix them completely, but I bought a new 72-ZIF, used it. Boiled my original connector, and threw the new one away.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    The problem is that most the aftermarket pins Ive used and the clone consoles all had death grips, or at least felt awkward going in. I want my NES to feel like two golden retrievers in the throes of love making, not a great dane going at it with a Yorkshire terrier
    Do you actually play NES games or just like inserting and pulling out the cartridge repeatedly? ;-)

If that's the case (wanting the ZIF experience), learn to refurbish the pins or find someone selling actual OEM NES pins. I bought new OEM pins and cart insertion was like 1988 all over again. Pin refurbishing is a pain but with practice can yield good results.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Our Ataris and NES decks aren't immortal.
    Yours aren't.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea mine are, plus several lifetimes of spare parts from outside death causing events.
    like the sudden heat death of the universe.

i'd pay 25% more for virgin things too but we might be getting off topic here.

if the connector isnt pulling the PCB from the cart when you remove the game then it isnt a problem., also people dont replace them for no reason either.
    i tried everything to make the one in my sharp nes tv come back to life but it had dr mario in there for too many decades and when i cracked it loose (literally had to break the bonds betweeen the metals from contact corrosion) it just wouldnt do it in a reliable way. It'll get a blinking light win when ever i get brave enough to crack it open again.

i am sure blinking light wins are taboo in your book too