Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 72-pin replacements devalue the NES- thoughts?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    On the subject of all original parts, I wonder if there are any collectors of CIB handhelds who don't consider them complete without the AA batteries. I've actually held on to some myself, as stupid as I'm sure some people would think that is. To no great surprise, the batteries for my original GBA eventually started leaking, so I ended up throwing those out. Weirdly enough, those crapped out faster than the ones that came with my GBC.
    I have unused original batteries from an Odyssey 1 and a Pong with the little paper strip on the top contact that I keep separate from the actual units. I doubt they will leak at this point, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    Oh, buying a collector car like a 'Vette is different from buying electronics, but if you're wanting to drive it, you'll want to have one that can be driven. Neither example would have proof (zero miles on the odo) that they are drivable. The second example is only worth more because it would be OOOH SHINY NEW compared to the first and attracts more overfinanced idiots. OTOH, Chevy OEM for their V8s (which the Vette almost certainly has) is relatively simple to acquire. OTGH, keeping matched numbers is still a worthy feat in and of itself.
    The original topic question was mostly about value, and having something completely original does make it more valuable. If a console is already beat up and not wanted by collectors who are looking for pristine examples, then having a functional console will be more valuable than a non-functional console. But if given a choice between two working consoles where one has an original connector and the other has the connector replaced, I will choose the original connector every time.

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    I agree that having this nondescript, wild aftermarket stuff be the only consistent source for console replacement parts is a big problem. Rolling the dice every time you need to swap out even the simplest part should not be something even an enthusiast needs to put up with. I wouldn't buy the NES with aftermarket pins unless I got to see the thing and checked how it behaved first. At the very least, I'd check up on the seller and make sure they're on the level.
    It's this needing to check out the console first that's a bit of a problem. Usually I would pick things up from garage sales, thrift stores, or classified ads. I don't usually have the option to test things out first before buying. And when people just buy used systems to flip after just getting things running, they'll spend as little as possible buying replacement parts. There's a good chance a working new connector would still die in a few months of use. I would usually have to know the seller personally to consider buying a console that's been "repaired" like that. As I don't need more NES consoles personally it's easier for me to just pass on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    And if someone was ridiculous with wanting "original parts" when doing repairs, down to buying parts from the same manufacturer, year, or even batches...well, then they'd be replacing the original capacitor plague parts with more capacitor plague parts.
    It's not necessarily about replacing them with the same year or batch, although capacitors can be rebuilt sometimes or reformed. It's mostly about replacing them with parts that truly perform at the same specs as the original at the same quality. It's a bit beyond my personal wants as I just want quality parts to be used but I'm not into high end equipment the same way.

https://makezine.com/projects/capaci...fun-or-profit/
    https://www.qsl.net/g3oou/reform.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    On the subject of all original parts, I wonder if there are any collectors of CIB handhelds who don't consider them complete without the AA batteries. I've actually held on to some myself, as stupid as I'm sure some people would think that is. To no great surprise, the batteries for my original GBA eventually started leaking, so I ended up throwing those out. Weirdly enough, those crapped out faster than the ones that came with my GBC.
    Partly yes, some vintage batteries are quite expensive on ebay. Again it more depends on the general condition, they don't necessarily have to still work but they usually can't be corroded.

It's like collecting old pop cans or bottles, they're worth more sealed even though nobody expects the contents to still be drinkable.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yeah, that's what I meant, unused and still sealed in their plastic. I never held on to any batteries I actually used, but sometimes I wouldn't even bothering opening the ones systems came with. But even with being unused and sealed, my GBA batteries started leaking, and the battery acid burned right through the plastic they were sealed in.