Thread: modern Mortal Kombat question

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default modern Mortal Kombat question

So a friend on Skype told me that in one of the games, Shang Tsung is, or else will be, DLC.

My immediate question was "are his transformations DLC too?"

We got a laugh out of that, but.... actually I kinda wonder if that's seriously how it works, that Shang can't transform into any char you haven't bought.

IS that how it works? Or does nobody know yet? I couldn't remember if we were talking about an existing game or one announced for the future.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

If I'm not mistaken, the last game he was in (MK9) he could only transform into whoever the opponent was.

I dug back into MK9 and MKX last week and was reminded why I won't be purchasing the next MK until it's in the $15 price range. The aesthetics are nice and I like some of the characters, but I find the gameplay just horrible and unrewarding (same as Injustice).

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I dug back into MK9 and MKX last week and was reminded why I won't be purchasing the next MK until it's in the $15 price range. The aesthetics are nice and I like some of the characters, but I find the gameplay just horrible and unrewarding (same as Injustice).
    So you're saying the price tag was an... injustice?

It seems like Mortal Kombat is a series that hangs around more due to 90s nostalgia, tho I recall people saying MK9 was legitimately good and got played in tournaments. I remember as a kid I was on the hype train for the first two MKs but by the time the third came out, I was sick of the series and was deep into RPGs at that point. Now tho, I'm rediscovering fighters.

Its too bad I apparently have to buy a modern console to get an arcade-perfect port of the first MK. Its not a great game but it does have two minor "cinematic" moments I like:

One, Goro stomping around and then just jumping down to fight when you beat whoever is directly before him.

Two, Shang Tsung's "dance of death" when he's defeated. If you've beaten the arcade version you know what I mean. I know this is missing at least from the Sega CD version but I'm unsure if any console version maintains it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The first 3 were fun games and the series just never seemed to transition too well to 3D. Lot of dumb gimmicks like kart racing, exploration, chess, instead of focusing on making the gameplay good.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Warner Bros first venture into gaming it was one of the worst publishers, but Batman Arkham City's Catwoman content being released as a voucher is nothing compared to MK11.

On Mortal Kombat 11, the single player and versus mode is on disc. Everything else, and I mean "everything" is only playable online. The combat towers, the character customization, the Krypt, etc. The only game I've seen that was as bad as this has been Hitman.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.