Thread: Team Sonic Racing {Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Windows/Steam}

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Team Sonic Racing {Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Windows/Steam}

Team Sonic Racing combines the best elements of arcade and fast-paced competitive style racing as you face-off with friends in intense multiplayer racing. Race together and work together as a team by sharing power-ups and speed boosts. Take control of your racing style - Choose from 3 distinct character types and unlock game changing vehicle customization options to suit your racing style.

Gear Up. Speed Up. – Team Racing at Sonic Speed!
    Key Features:
    Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes – 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline / online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
    Team Racing – Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
    Performance & Skin Customization – Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle
    Wisps - 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
    Adventure Mode – Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
    Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.
    Team Sonic Racing costs $40. There's also a mode for standard (not team-based) racing if you don't like the idea of teamwork with human or CPU players. PC copies include Denuvo DRM.

Official site: https://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/teamsonicracing

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

So far Team Sonic Racing is pretty good. It's a solid 7 out of 10. Unfortunately the online lobbies for PC are pretty sparse. From the comparisons of online lobbies for Team Sonic Racing across its various platforms, it seems PC is the least popular, then Xbox One, with the PS4 and Switch lobbies being the most popular.

However the single player campaign is solid and has a "suitably Sonic" not-too-serious story to go along with it and plenty of good gameplay challenges. The writers were aware of the usual trappings of the Sonic series and its stories and so the dialog is often self-aware about things like, "It's always Eggman behind the plots," or, "Sonic is addicted to speed and racing," or, "Omochao states the obvious."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm still considering buying the Switch version, it seems pretty well optimized (my only other available choice is PC, but user reviews indicate it chugs unless you have a powerful rig). It seems like a step back from Sonic Transformed, but I love Sumo racers and Sonic anyway, and its only $40..

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I've been playing Team Sonic Racing on Windows and yeah, the performance is lacking. Sonic Forces runs well on my computer, but TSR really varies from good to "What is going on with this?!"

For example, there's a stage called Sky Road. I thought that the problem was the stage itself with its wide-open spaces, voluminous clouds, and spiraling roads made of clear glass, things that usually cause GPU's to work a lot. But I don't think that's what is the cause of the problems. Why? Well, only sometimes does the game have problems. Sometimes, with my computer, the FPS is about 75 - this is during the menus. During the loading screens or racing stages, the FPS can range from 25 FPS to... 0 FPS with the computer temporarily stalled! This can even happen during the "customize your car" segment where there is no AI's racing and only 1 racer and 1 car on-screen.

So I decided to experiment. I would start from the Windows 7 desktop with the game not running. (Keep in mind, this is a nearly freshly installed copy of Windows.) Then I would start the game, pick the Sky Road track with 12 racers, and start the race to see how high the FPS would be. I repeated this three times. The first two times the performance ranged from very bad to unplayable. The third time the performance was nice and good! So I can only imagine that with the PC variant of Team Sonic Racing, the problem has to be the Denuvo DRM which is included with the game. After all, recently SEGA removed the DRM from Sonic Mania Plus and not only did I notice that the size of the executable decreased by at least one hundred megabytes to only three megabytes, but the performance of the game significantly improved too. It runs faster on Windows and on Linux via WINE.

DRM is terrible.