Thread: Marvel vs Capcom - LETS GO CRAZY! (Game of Whenever)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Marvel vs Capcom - LETS GO CRAZY! (Game of Whenever)

The following is a new segment I'm calling "Excuse Plot Recap."

It is the 90s, and Charles Xavier has finally snapped due to the realization that he lives in the Marvel Universe and thus nothing good can ever happen anywhere.

As such, he becomes a superpowered fusion dance of himself and Magneto called MEGA XAVINETO! But then finds out that name is trademarked by a bakery in Iowa, tries to call himself "Lord Bravery" but THAT is trademarked, and decides on just "Onslaught."

Then he destroys those bakeries and proceeds to mess up most of the rest of the world.

The X-Men, his own students, are helpless to stop him. Of course, the X-Men can't even stop a dork who kills people using evil theme parks without the help of Spider-Man, so of course a superbeing is beyond them. But hope is not lost, because the X-Men aren't the only heroes around. As it happens, Spider-Man (who is capable of killing Thanos according to the SNES game Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems) is also in this game.

Spidey has connections, and a lot of quarters, and arcades in this universe all have the same ending as arcade Golden Axe. So Spider-Man goes out, beats a ton of Capcom games, and suddenly Capcom heroes are here.

After a long and grueling battle, Mega XaviNeto (who resists the compulsion to say "Hey! Listen!") is beaten by the combined forces of Strider Hiryu and Mega Man. Unless he's beaten by Roll instead. Yeah.... does Onslaught have magnet powers like Magneto does? I mean, Magneto was never able to take Colossus in the comics so I imagine Mega Man really does have a chance (or maybe Magneto is weak to Hard Knuckle) but it just seems weird.

Whatever. Xavier is in therapy now and the X-Men are now led by Captain Commando. The End.

What, that's not the story?

So, I'm probably in a minority here but...

I think I like MvC1 more than MvC2.

I own both on Dreamcast--just picked up 2 recently--and while it is a fun game and all, there are a couple of sticking points to me. One is, of course, the music. MvC1 has an excellent soundtrack, much of it awesome remixes of classic Capcom tunes like the Mega Man 2 title music.

But there's another minor thing, and its one of those dopey things I'm sure only I care about.... MvC1 is actually based on something (indeed I started reading comics largely because of MvC1), whereas MvC2 basically doesn't have a storyline, and all the characters get the same ending regardless of who beats Abyss. Honestly one of the joys of fighting games for me is seeing everyone's ending, so to me it kinda makes me less inclined to play the game again. Then MvC2 has the whole points-to-buy-unlockables thing, and the fastest way to get points is to beat the game multiple times...

(Unlocking chars in MvC1, on the other hand... well you can apparently select anyone via a secret code from the get-go, but some can be made to not require the code if you succeed in doing some very specific games which honestly sound a lot like the steps you would take to fight Reptile in Mortal Kombat 1)

Speaking of which... the final bosses of both games caught me off guard when I first played them. Basically, you have to take both Onslaught and Abyss not as fighting game bosses, but more like how you would take a boss in a platform game or something. Wait for a moment, get a quick hit in, then go on defense. It was something of a revelation when I learned you could duck under Onslaught's hadoken beam (I don't know its actual name) without taking damage if you simply don't block... and if you're close enough can safely hard kick him from there too.

Anyway...

So, anyone have any fond memories of MvC1 or 2?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Im a huge fan of the Marvel V Capcom series.. quite frankly i think MvC2 and MvC3 ultimate are 2 of the greatest games ever made.
    Maybe u can guess where I took my user name from .. hehe, back around 2000-2001 I was obsessed with MvC2. I had a summer job at the mall and I would play the arcade game during my hour lunch break and either before/after work (depending on if there was a line in front of the machine). Always played bb hood.

The main problem i have with MvC 1 is that the control scheme just isnt good. In each MvC game the controls are different, and with MvC 1 the controls are just awkward.
    And yeah, I would def agree that Marvel 2 has lackluster music, but there are a few tracks that are good. MvC3 however, has some reallly amazing music.
    However, the biggest problem with MvC2 is that a handful of characters are kinda broken... and the result is that u get everybody playing with the same 10 characters or soo.. Magneto, Storm, Sentinel you see alot of.

Regarding the final bosses.. yeah once u figure them out that are a piece of cake. The games are really meant to be 2 player.. and once u get good you can beat them on the hardest difficulty with little effort.

But there is so much to love about these games. All the characters are well-represented and are all bad-asses in their own right. These games are super-fast and just so much fun to play. Alot of people consider these games to be simply button-mashers.. BUT THEY ARE NOT! They take alot of skill and practice to get good at.

And I dont mean to get off topic, but if you havent played MvC3 Ultimate you should really check it out. I do think its the best MvC game. I would stay away from MvC4 Infinite... its not very good.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 05-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I remember the controls being the same in 1 as 3, are you sure you dont have it on the easy mode where you hit one button (i think its a shoulder button) to activate your specials?

any way to add to this the Marvel Super Hereos game is pretty dope too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

yeah they are different im pretty sure..
    marvel super heroes, marvel vs street fighter and x-men vs street fighter are all great games

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Maybe u can guess where I took my user name from ..
    I would actually have guessed "Darkstalkers" but I guess MvC does have the Smash Bros effect of introducing people to chars from games they might not have played. Bulleta/Baby Bonnie Hood is one of my favorites just because I dig how she'll put on a show of being cutesy and then be all psychotic.

I need to pick up the earlier Capcom Marvel games... apparently Marvel Super Heroes is based on the Infinity Gauntlet storyline from Marvel Comics, which makes it ahead of its time considering that story got big due to the movie adaptation (which I haven't seen because I honestly haven't liked any Marvel movie I've watched).

Main thing keeping me from picking up games after MvC2 is not owning the consoles they were released on.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I had the PS2 version. Just couldnt get into it. Maybe I wouldve liked it more had I been playing against a human. Plus Im not really a superhero fan

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I remember the controls being the same in 1 as 3
    I might be completely wrong, but MvC uses a traditional Capcom 6 button layout. 2 uses a 4 button layout with the other 2 buttons being dedicated to assists/swaps. 3 uses a (IMO rubbish) 3 button layout.

I just can't get into fighters that have a layout like 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I might be completely wrong, but MvC uses a traditional Capcom 6 button layout. 2 uses a 4 button layout with the other 2 buttons being dedicated to assists/swaps. 3 uses a (IMO rubbish) 3 button layout.

I just can't get into fighters that have a layout like 3.
    MvC3 layout is light/medium/hard/launcher with 2 assist buttons. Its easier to do combos with 3 Ive found.