Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre crash

1 14.29%
  • Post crash

4 57.14%
  • 1995 - 2005

2 28.57%

Thread: What era of classic games do you most enjoy playing?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default What era of classic games do you most enjoy playing?

Most of us are going to draw from multiple eras of classic gaming, we're going to like various games from various eras. But which ones do you play the MOST, as in, if you could only play a certain era of classic games for a year, which would you choose?

A) Pre-Crash classic gaming, anything before about 1985 (pre-NES). The post-1985 games on Atari 2600, Intellivision, and other pre-Crash systems are in this category as well.

B) 8/16-bit classic gaming, anything from about 1985 to 1995. This is from NES to anything before Sega Saturn. There are some post-1995 games in this category as well, as long as they came on systems that launched between 1985-1994.

C) JAG-era (32 bit era and up) classic gaming, anything from about 1995 to 2005. This is the 32-bit and PS2-era generations, any system launched from Sega Saturn to before Nintendo DS. Stuff like PSX and PS2 and their contemporaries. One could call this the "3D era", but there were still a few 2D gems of this era as well.

Personally, I would go with C, because it's the era I grew up on. Honestly, it's probably my favorite era of gaming. No DRM bogged-down, overly online intensive games like today. The graphics weren't photo-realistic, but numerous games from the era's looks have stood the test of time. The classic platformer type games were a lot more common then, stuff like Jak and Daxter, Super Mario 64, the original Crash Bandicoot trilogy were some of my favorites. It was far enough removed from the arcade era that the "x number of lives, no continues" ideal was pretty much gone. Of course, in the (B) era that ideal was reasonably common as well, but in the (C) era unlimited continues became ubiquitous.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This is the first time I've seen anyone cut off "post-crash" at any particular point. I would consider "post-crash" to mean everything from after the crash to the present.

I would go with '85 to '95, as the NES and SNES are still my top two systems, but I'd be bummed to give up all 32/64-bit gaming. If I could, I'd shift it to '87 to '97, if we're sticking to 10-year spans. I'm not especially attached to pre-crash gaming, and most gaming past 2000 I could do without. After 2000, I mostly became all about handhelds, since they offer gaming experiences that are most similar to the '90s gaming I love.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-28-2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

6th gen (PS2, Xbox, GameCube). Though I prefer the graphical style of 16 and 32 bit, the games of 6th gen were just easier, more playable, more accessible. And the racing games my fave genre are the best in this era

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-28-2019)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If I'm being honest, nearly all my favorite games are on either Gameboy, N64, or Gamecube, so it's an easy choice for me. I don't really play pre-crash, though, so I definitely am a bit biased.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pichuscute For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-31-2019)