Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Now it's Konami's turn, Turbo aka PC Engine aka Core Grafx Mini!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm using a NES/SNES Classic power adapter after numerous reports online that it works fine. No troubles to report.

That said, this doesn't match what the manual wants. This was about 5 days ago when mine finally arrived and I hooked it all up (So the numbers I'm about to quote may be slightly off), but I believe the manual says 5V/2.0A and this adapter is listed as I recall at 5.3V/1.0A. But it was reported as working in numerous places and that's holding true for me, so I'll stick with it rather than seek out the hard to get official Hori adapter.

As I recall from a random thread I stumbled across a day or so before my TG16 Mini arrived, it sounds like too much amperage is possibly what has bricked some of these units. Several people said they tried to use a Rasberry Pi power adapter with 5V/3.0A and had a non-functioning controller port upon powering up the system.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-19-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    As I recall from a random thread I stumbled across a day or so before my TG16 Mini arrived, it sounds like too much amperage is possibly what has bricked some of these units. Several people said they tried to use a Rasberry Pi power adapter with 5V/3.0A and had a non-functioning controller port upon powering up the system.
    Too much amperage? I thought that electronics just took enough amps for what they needed, all you needed to do is avoid having too little. How can too much available amperage damage an electronic?

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Too much amperage? I thought that electronics just took enough amps for what they needed, all you needed to do is avoid having too little. How can too much available amperage damage an electronic?
    If a power supply isn't properly regulated, it generally puts out more voltage than spec'd when not under load; for example, an unregulated 12V supply often puts out 17V or so. If you attempt to power a device which doesn't draw much current, it won't load down said supply enough to drop it to the specified voltage, which could do damage. I'm not sure if this applies to USB supplies, but given the sort of 'QC' found in cheap overseas electronics in general, I wouldn't put it past the cheap supplies to be putting out more than 5V when not powering something like a phone.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Generally that's correct. I don't know too much about the inner working of the TG16 minis, but I do know that flash memory can become corrupted because of power fluctuations, improper shutdown, etc... If the mini used flash for firmware for instance, which many devices do, then it's possible that an incorrect power supply could brick it.

Raspberry Pi's have this issue, but they run the whole operating system off a flash SD card.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When we're talking about these being bricked, we're not using the word in the usual sense with electronics (i.e., corrupted firmware and so on). It's an actual physical issue occurring here for a few folks, that manifests itself upon initial boot-up by the controller ports not functioning.

The controller is still fine and can be used on a PC, it just doesn't do anything when plugged into the Mini itself. The Mini itself is otherwise fine here and boots up and shuts down correctly, video and audio still work, etc. When I first learned about this in several threads that I stumbled across while waiting for my TG16 Mini to arrive, at least one person was even able to bypass or replace the chip that evidently was fried and successfully restored controller functionality to his PC Engine Mini.

It's quite possible that we don't have a problem here with USB power supplies. Speculation about the USB power adapter is just speculation, although there's some logic behind it since that's the main variable here for everyone. I imagine though that there could be lots of reasons behind this chip being dead for a small number of people when they boot up their system for the first time.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned if some Digital Press reader notices this discussion and was on the fence about ordering one of these. It's a great little system with a lot of rarely seen classics that for the most part hold up well, with few issues in the implementation of it by M2. Just take a little extra care with the USB power adapter you connect to this just to be on the safe side, like using one you own that you've seen other people report as working online with their own Mini.

That and don't wait past the return period to fire it up and test it, just in case you did receive a dud. But that should be a standard rule for videogame hardware whenever possible.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-22-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

When we're talking about these being bricked, we're not using the word in the usual sense with electronics (i.e., corrupted firmware and so on). It's an actual physical issue occurring here for a few folks, that manifests itself upon initial boot-up by the controller ports not functioning.

The controller is still fine and can be used on a PC, it just doesn't do anything when plugged into the Mini itself. The Mini itself is otherwise fine here and boots up and shuts down correctly, video and audio still work, etc. When I first learned about this in several threads that I stumbled across while waiting for my TG16 Mini to arrive, at least one person was even able to bypass or replace the chip that evidently was fried and successfully restored controller functionality to his PC Engine Mini.

It's quite possible that we don't have a problem here with USB power supplies. Speculation about the USB power adapter is just speculation, although there's some logic behind it since that's the main variable here for everyone. I imagine though that there could be lots of reasons behind this chip being dead for a small number of people when they boot up their system for the first time.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned if some Digital Press reader notices this discussion and was on the fence about ordering one of these. It's a great little system with a lot of rarely seen classics that for the most part hold up well, with few issues in the implementation of it by M2. Just take a little extra care with the USB power adapter you connect to this just to be on the safe side, like using one you own that you've seen other people report as working online with their own Mini.

That and don't wait past the return period to fire it up and test it, just in case you did receive a dud. But that should be a standard rule for videogame hardware whenever possible.
    Good points. I wonder if the people claiming their Minis were 'bricked' by a power supply experienced the controls working before trying it with said supply. When my Mini arrived, I tried it using the 1.5A USB supply which came with my NES Classic, and the controls work perfectly. Not sure yet whether or not I'm going to try the 'MobileSense' adapter I mentioned before, and see if it survives.

Anyway, my TG-16 Mini arrived a few days ago. At first, I was perplexed by the score marks on the cardboard box; reading reviews on Amazon, it appears that these things are usually shipped with no outer box or packaging, they just slap a shipping label directly on the original box, which is rather crummy in my opinion. While mine was packed in a bubble envelope, part of an old shipping label can be seen around the edges of the score marks, which makes me think that the unit was returned, further evidenced by wear marks near the tab on the side, as well as the "Amazon WarehouseDeals Inspected" sticker on the back. It works, as I indicated above, but realizing this worried me a great deal. Here are some pictures:

Once opened, everything looked more-or-less untouched; not sure if the main console was originally inside a baggie or not, as was the case with the NES/SNES/Genesis Minis. At first, I thought the port cover on the rear was decorative, but soon discovered that you need to remove it in order to access the strangely-hard-to-access Micro USB power port. Anyway, here are some pictures of the innards of the box, and the console itself:

And just for funzies, a close-up of the labels on the side for where the ANT SWITCH and CH 3/4 controls would've originally been, but they left on there anyway:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The console itself originally came in one of those padded baggies just like your controller did. The returner must've forgotten about that or for some odd reason tossed it while holding onto the one for the controller.

Anyone bought one of these decorations for their Mini?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8098664...BoCloUQAvD_BwE

Thinking about getting a Galaga cartridge for mine. If it doesn't look good or won't stay in place, it's not like it cost much.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-24-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

@AdamAnt: did you get that machine at the same price as a new one? If so, it looks like Amazon is practically pulling a Gamestop.

I gotta say, that thing's a beaut. It's very tempting but I don't know if I'd get the chance to really play it. Now if they made a TurboExpress with the built in games, I'd be all over that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The console itself originally came in one of those padded baggies just like your controller did. The returner must've forgotten about that or for some odd reason tossed it while holding onto the one for the controller.

Anyone bought one of these decorations for their Mini?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8098664...BoCloUQAvD_BwE

Thinking about getting a Galaga cartridge for mine. If it doesn't look good or won't stay in place, it's not like it cost much.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Guessing it got tossed during the inspection presumably performed when the sticker on the back was applied. The controller looked like the cord had never been unwrapped, and the other cables look the same. Those little cartridges look nice, but I'd imagine that Etsy seller might get shut down for copyright infringements unless they're licensed...

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    @AdamAnt: did you get that machine at the same price as a new one? If so, it looks like Amazon is practically pulling a Gamestop.

I gotta say, that thing's a beaut. It's very tempting but I don't know if I'd get the chance to really play it. Now if they made a TurboExpress with the built in games, I'd be all over that.
    Actually, they charged me more. $109.93 (plus $6.87 shipping, apparently) vs. the usual $99.99 or whatever the retail price is. Not sure how this goof-up happened; when I clicked the button, it said something like "Only 1 more left in stock". Guess that 'one' had come back as a return, and for some inexplicable reason, they re-sold it as new. Not very happy about that fact, but at least it wasn't defective, and the console design itself is rather nice apart from the weirdness of the "A/V shield" port cover, though perhaps they were trying to be 'authentic'...
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-25-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

WTF!!!! That box abuse is awful, I definitely won't buy from Amazon.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    WTF!!!! That box abuse is awful, I definitely won't buy from Amazon.
    According to Wikipedia, it's an Amazon exclusive, which means that the only other way to get one is probably to deal with the scalpers. Of course, unless you happen to catch them in stock like I did(?), you'll have to deal with the Amazon scalpers. Rather of a dilemma, really. Not sure how to best convey my displeasure with Amazon's selling methods, given that the product itself seems OK, but how it got here is definitely lacking...
    -Adam

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've gotten so many squashed limited editions from Amazon it isn't even funny. But at least then the item is small enough I can almost understand why they throw it in a bubble mailer. But this thing is big enough that I don't get why they wouldn't always ship in another box, especially given the price. Most of the time when I receive a larger boxed item from Amazon where they just slap shipping labels on the item's box itself it's some cheap, disposable household item like trash bags.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    According to Wikipedia, it's an Amazon exclusive, which means that the only other way to get one is probably to deal with the scalpers. Of course, unless you happen to catch them in stock like I did(?), you'll have to deal with the Amazon scalpers. Rather of a dilemma, really. Not sure how to best convey my displeasure with Amazon's selling methods, given that the product itself seems OK, but how it got here is definitely lacking...
    -Adam
    I'm going to hazard an off the wall guess here. What if you were purposely shipped damaged goods? Follow me, Amazon ships their initial allotments. Maybe some get returned, damaged, whatever, which are marked in the system. Someone then decides, WTH, we'll put these back into stock. Could explain why they sold out like immediately (weren't many to begin with).
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I've gotten so many squashed limited editions from Amazon it isn't even funny. But at least then the item is small enough I can almost understand why they throw it in a bubble mailer. But this thing is big enough that I don't get why they wouldn't always ship in another box, especially given the price. Most of the time when I receive a larger boxed item from Amazon where they just slap shipping labels on the item's box itself it's some cheap, disposable household item like trash bags.
    I have no idea what Amazon is thinking with regards to these things. The reviews on Amazon point to them not even bothering with a bubble mailer for most of them, just sticking the shipping label right on the box. I figure the only reason mine was shipped in the bubble mailer is because they'd already damaged the box cutting off the old shipping label from when it was returned.

I'm going to hazard an off the wall guess here. What if you were purposely shipped damaged goods? Follow me, Amazon ships their initial allotments. Maybe some get returned, damaged, whatever, which are marked in the system. Someone then decides, WTH, we'll put these back into stock. Could explain why they sold out like immediately (weren't many to begin with).
    Not sure why they'd intentionally send me something damaged. According to the shipping invoice, this was sold and shipped to me by "Amazon.com Services LLC", so I'm not sure why they'd do something like that on purpose. Furthermore, the order details do state the following: "Condition: Used - Very Good - Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Item may come repackaged." I wish they'd been more up-front about that when I ordered, and hadn't charged me $10 extra (plus shipping!) for the "privilege".
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine was new and shipped in a bubble mailer. My order was placed on June 6th since I became concerned that I couldn't wait until later in the year like I initially planned (It had been going in and out of stock) and it arrived on June 12th.

This was a few weeks after the early birds were getting their system, so I figure Amazon got a good number of complaints from those that ordered earlier (Such as I suspect from the original buyer of your system) and decided to upgrade to a bubble mailer to provide a basic degree of protection in response.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Not sure why they'd intentionally send me something damaged. According to the shipping invoice, this was sold and shipped to me by "Amazon.com Services LLC", so I'm not sure why they'd do something like that on purpose. Furthermore, the order details do state the following: "Condition: Used - Very Good - Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Item may come repackaged." I wish they'd been more up-front about that when I ordered, and hadn't charged me $10 extra (plus shipping!) for the "privilege".
    -Adam
    Well that's just ridiculous, and charged you the full price anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Mine was new and shipped in a bubble mailer. My order was placed on June 6th since I became concerned that I couldn't wait until later in the year like I initially planned (It had been going in and out of stock) and it arrived on June 12th.

This was a few weeks after the early birds were getting their system, so I figure Amazon got a good number of complaints from those that ordered earlier (Such as I suspect from the original buyer of your system) and decided to upgrade to a bubble mailer to provide a basic degree of protection in response.
    Interesting. Guessing mine was purchased as part of the first run, the buyer didn't like how it'd been "packed", and returned it. Guessing the initial buyer didn't test it, and I have a feeling Amazon didn't actually do so either. Probably a miracle that I got a working unit.

Well that's just ridiculous, and charged you the full price anyway.
    More than retail price. Doubt my three star order review will come to anything, but I submitted it anyway. Not sure yet how my product review will read, but probably similarly.
    -Adam

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Is there a way to get an alert from Amazon when their allotment have been replenished?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Is there a way to get an alert from Amazon when their allotment have been replenished?
    Not sure, but I did see a post on Gizmodo that it will finally be available for its actual retail price on the 19th:

https://kinjadeals.theinventory.com/...buy-1843703319

Not sure how long they'll last, so if you really want to get ahold of one without feeding the scalpers, now may be the time...
    -Adam

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I wound up getting one off Amazon Japan, although it's been in stock lately on the USA site.