Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now it's Konami's turn, Turbo aka PC Engine aka Core Grafx Mini!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    the mini console makes me want to play my TG16 but the only games I have are Power Golf and Keith Courage. all the good games on the system are expensive lol
    Same here. I actually did hook mine up today and played Bonk's Revenge, which is about the only game I have worth playing.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I hear there also several other "secret" games that can be unlocked by using certain button presses when starting the system, games, etc...
    Last edited by jb143; 05-16-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    the mini console makes me want to play my TG16 but the only games I have are Power Golf and Keith Courage. all the good games on the system are expensive lol
    Either mod the system and have a region switch put in or import a pce instead.Mostly cause,japanese release's for some games can be much cheaper in price.The other option buy a turbo everdrive flash cart since that will let you play most of the hucard titles.I have a decent size collection of my hucards myself "but i still use a everdrive to play the more expensive titles" or for games that have a fan translation.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 05-17-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Bump anyone else get a TG16 mini ? I got mine last month and i have been enjoying it and it's ui is simple enough to use.Also i agree with most reviewers say about the input lag and shimmer,some games have it while others do not.It doesn't make most unplayable but it's there and can be kind of annoying.I found the worst input lag for lords of thunder good luck there trying to 1cc it.All in all M2 came close enough in the emulation.My most gripe is snatcher being only in japanese it's to bad konami couldn't have hack it to included the sega-cd translation.I've also heard "the hacks are being worked on" so maybe that can improve the emulation even more.If you're looking for a official way to play TG16/PCE without breaking the bank then the TG16 mini is the way to go.So far i'm satisfy with my purchase plus it gives me another way to play it on a hdtv.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-07-2020 at 02:09 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I'd like to get an example of the TG-16 Mini, but they appear to be sold out on Amazon, which states that it is "Available From These Sellers", who apparently have "9 New from $197.50". Hopefully, they won't be as hard to find from non-scalpers as the NES/SNES Mini was for a long time..........
    -Adam

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    I'd like to get an example of the TG-16 Mini, but they appear to be sold out on Amazon, which states that it is "Available From These Sellers", who apparently have "9 New from $197.50". Hopefully, they won't be as hard to find from non-scalpers as the NES/SNES Mini was for a long time..........
    -Adam
    They'll be next to impossible if Konami doesn't replenish. I still never got confirmation that they were only being sold via Amazon.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    They'll be next to impossible if Konami doesn't replenish. I still never got confirmation that they were only being sold via Amazon.
    Hopefully, the delay is because they're working on improving QC; some of the reviews speak of quality issues, including someone who had three minis (two TG16s, one PCE) end up 'bricked' due possibly to being over-volted by non-OEM USB power supplies. Doesn't help that you don't get a power supply with the unit unless you spring for the 'deluxe' bundle, which kicks the price to $119.99, and is entirely unavailable. And as for availability, I vastly prefer buying stuff in person, and this whole virus thing has made doing that rather difficult, as the GameStop chain would surely attest.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

-Adam
    Most that i can suggest is amazon jpn if they have any still unless,konami is gonna do another run for the u.s.Though,when i got mine i just use the ac adapter from the genesis mini to power it and it ran fine.Later on the official ac adapter that i preorder with the tg16 mini came in just a few days ago.I'm using that now but really that should have been included with the system to begin with given it's price in total.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-14-2020 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Don't know what to tell ya but when konami announced the tg16 mini they did stated only being sold through amazon.Heck most news outlets confirm it as well.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If the pandemic screwed up fulfilling the initial orders, then I wouldn't be surprised if the print run was smaller than what Konami had wanted, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed restocking too.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Hopefully, the delay is because they're working on improving QC; some of the reviews speak of quality issues, including someone who had three minis (two TG16s, one PCE) end up 'bricked' due possibly to being over-volted by non-OEM USB power supplies. Doesn't help that you don't get a power supply with the unit unless you spring for the 'deluxe' bundle, which kicks the price to $119.99, and is entirely unavailable. And as for availability, I vastly prefer buying stuff in person, and this whole virus thing has made doing that rather difficult, as the GameStop chain would surely attest.
    -Adam
    Yes I heard about the bricking! I don't think the European Core Grafx has been shipped yet either.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Yes I heard about the bricking! I don't think the European Core Grafx has been shipped yet either.
    European,Coregrafx mini has been released.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I got a notification 2 days ago that my TurboGrafx Mini shipped from Amazon. I suppose it was part of the second batch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I got a notification 2 days ago that my TurboGrafx Mini shipped from Amazon. I suppose it was part of the second batch.
    It's possible. I checked Amazon a few minutes ago, and they'd gotten more in stock; miraculously, one was still available! I added it in my cart, placed the order, and it seemed to go through. Now the (hopefully short) waiting game begins..........
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

It's possible. I checked Amazon a few minutes ago, and they'd gotten more in stock; miraculously, one was still available! I added it in my cart, placed the order, and it seemed to go through. Now the (hopefully short) waiting game begins..........
    -Adam
    When you get it make you sure have the appropriate usb power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    When you get it make you sure have the appropriate usb power supply.
    Any idea what counts as "appropriate" for these things? We have several USB power supplies around here, including the ones which came with my NES, SNES and Sega Genesis Minis. I also bought a 'MobileSense' (or something like that) 2.4A USB supply, which the seller claims to have regulated output; does the extra 0.3 (0.4?) amps really matter that much? Or is it too little current capability which might be 'bricking' these things? I once accidentally powered a Retro-Duo with a 750mA power supply instead of the intended 2A (IIRC) brick, and it won't power up anymore. Rather odd that something like this mini would have such stringent power requirements, especially since they don't bother to include a wall-wart unless you pay extra..........
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Any idea what counts as "appropriate" for these things? We have several USB power supplies around here, including the ones which came with my NES, SNES and Sega Genesis Minis. I also bought a 'MobileSense' (or something like that) 2.4A USB supply, which the seller claims to have regulated output; does the extra 0.3 (0.4?) amps really matter that much? Or is it too little current capability which might be 'bricking' these things? I once accidentally powered a Retro-Duo with a 750mA power supply instead of the intended 2A (IIRC) brick, and it won't power up anymore. Rather odd that something like this mini would have such stringent power requirements, especially since they don't bother to include a wall-wart unless you pay extra..........
    -Adam
    Before i got the one by hori i was just using the genesis mini usb ac adapter and the tg16 mini ran fine using it.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-19-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

-Adam
    USB is a standard, it should be 5V and 500mA. With other devices like a cell phone you can use higher amperage to charge the device faster, but it should still be chargeable with just 500mA. It's idiotic if using a lower amperage will outright kill a device when using a standardized connection, especially as you've said it doesn't come with a charger. I'm assuming it's still using a USB micro connection like various electronics use for power these days.

I mostly use an older charger for my cell phone that's at a lower amperage than what came with it, I've been doing that for 6 years without any major problems. It just charges slower, which I mostly did as I heard that charging the battery slower extends it's life. I'm not sure if that's true but it didn't hurt my phone as I've been using it daily for over 6 years.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Gotta love when Amazon ships you something like a game console naked in its own box absolutely covered with shipping labels, dents and dirt.

And yes, the option to ship the item IN AN AMAZON BOX to avoid this was selected.

The only reason I didn't pay to gift wrap it (to avoid this) was because I was given the option to ship it in an Amazon box.

Shit like this is why I typically never use Amazon.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 06-18-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    USB is a standard, it should be 5V and 500mA.
    5V is a USB standard. 500mA was the minimum until it changed to 900mA with USB 3.0.

That being said, there are many devices that require more power to charge or even operate, like a Pi3 which will give errors (lightning bolt symbol) if you're using a power supply under 1.5A. I'd be surprised if the packaging for the TG/CG mini doesn't state the minimum power requirements.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    5V is a USB standard. 500mA was the minimum until it changed to 900mA with USB 3.0.

That being said, there are many devices that require more power to charge or even operate, like a Pi3 which will give errors (lightning bolt symbol) if you're using a power supply under 1.5A. I'd be surprised if the packaging for the TG/CG mini doesn't state the minimum power requirements.
    An error message is different than the unit dying. Plugging in a USB charger to a USB device shouldn't kill the device, even if it can't run properly there should be some type of protection built it. Unless you're using cheap garbage adapters that aren't working properly to spec, I could see that causing an issue. Really if a device uses odd power requirements then it should include the correct adapter with it, otherwise it should use the minimum standard of that connection.

Going back to my cell phone I did have some issues when I tried using a 3rd party adapter with a higher amperage. My phone wouldn't charge if turned off, only when it was left on. It still didn't kill the phone.