Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now it's Konami's turn, Turbo aka PC Engine aka Core Grafx Mini!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Rondo was already announced for the Japanese version, so I don't know if that's indication that the US version won't have it. Although Bonk was also announced for the Japanese version, and I'd be damn surprised if they didn't include at least the first Bonk on the US model.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    The gray Coregrafx seems to be intended for the European market, which perhaps is a nod to the import scene in France during the 90s where the PC Engine didn't go unnoticed. Yes, it really doesn't make much sense, I know there was a PAL TurboGrafx. It's arguable that it was still lesser known than its Japanese counterpart in PAL territories, and would have saved on tooling another plastic injection mold.

I want that mini TG16, which is kind of funny because the lilliputian NES, SNES, PS1 (lol) and Genesis iterations didn't grab me at all and I see them for what they are, cheap lil' rom boxes. Nonetheless the TurboGrafx oozes cool like no other game system in my mind. With the inclusion of CD-ROM games as an option and Konami as the IP holder it seems almost certain we're going to see Rondo of Blood on it. Worst case scenario the thing will be jailbroken or hacked or however you want to phrase it to enable customization.
    Well, I have several PCE/TG systems, the CORE is my favorite. It's just so small and has a great color scheme.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have two TG16s, a Core and a ton of accessories which render the point of getting a miniature system moot, but I digress. We all have things we don't need and occasionally desire more still.

Per the remarks that the TurboGrafx isn't well known and lacking an audience to market to, I disagree to an extent. It was heavily advertised in television and print which I saw a good deal of as a kid, the barrier was distribution and ultimately, availability for most people. We're also hitting a point in bygone video game nostalgia where the mouth breathing plebs are hungry for the exotic and novel, which could explain why Atari Jaguars are commanding $200+ and such now.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    No way, I feel like I've met you somehwere...Hudson, NH between the market basket and walmart? Gave you a coin when I bought a TG-16 game from you?
    it's possible you've seen me around there or the swapmeets in the area, since I attend many of them. I generally visit that Goodwill once or twice a week, along with the nearby Savers. However, I've never owned any TG-16 games to sell, so it was someone else.
    -Adam

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The release date and games list have been announced. It will be released on March 19, 2020, missing the Christmas season oddly enough. The US price will apparently be $100. Both the US and Japanese releases will be getting the same list of games, apparently, meaning that the US TG-16 Mini will include Japanese PC Engine games, and vice-versa. Here's the list:

TG-16 Games:

• Air Zonk
    • Alien Crush
    • Blazing Lazers
    • Bomberman ‘93
    • Bonk’s Revenge
    • Cadash
    • Chew-Man-Fu
    • Dungeon Explorer
    • J.J. & Jeff
    • Lords Of Thunder
    • Military Madness (Nectaris)
    • Moto Roader
    • Neutopia
    • Neutopia II
    • New Adventure Island
    • Ninjaspirit
    • Parasol Stars
    • Power Golf
    • Psychosis
    • R-Type
    • Soldier Blade
    • Space Harrier
    • Victory Run
    • Ys Book I&II

PC-Engine Games

• Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
    • Aldynes
    • Appare! Gateball
    • Bomberman ‘94
    • Bomberman Panic Bomber
    • Chō Aniki
    • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
    • Dungeon Explorer
    • Fantasy Zone
    • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
    • Gradius (Nemesis)
    • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
    • Jaseiken Necromancer
    • Nectaris (Military Madness)
    • Neutopia
    • Neutopia II
    • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
    • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
    • Salamander
    • Snatcher
    • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
    • Super Darius
    • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
    • Super Star Soldier
    • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
    • Ys I&II

So 24 TG-16 games and 26 PC Engine games, for a total of 50. More info here.
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 07-12-2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Added price

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This is the strangest way to release a multi-region retrogames package. It's like - "Well, this console did polar opposite business between the Japan and the USA, so we're going to have a different mix of games to support the history in each region - BUUUUUT... we're just going to include both mixes on every system, even if the titles overlap between regions, even if a handful of the games are text heavy Japanese RPGs."

Honestly, I kind of love the game reveal trailers, as they promote each game AS A GAME and not just another name / number on a list. Most of these games you'd be stoked to come across separately at a flea market or game store.

TurboGrafx-16 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWbNzvb_mv8

PC Engine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ng6Aki9wfI

I've also seen some of the UI on a demo unit on Twitter and it's pretty awesome with a virtual HuCARD that slides up into a rendering of the system at the top of the screen when a game is selected.

EDIT: Found that here - https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/doc...u/1195989.html

Still.... with the included lineup I'm surprised that Final Soldier, Dungeon Explorer II, and Devil's Crush aren't on there.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 07-12-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The absence of Spriggan is bizarre and disappointing. Nice of them to include almost all of the Japanese version's titles, though.

I have two TG16s, a Core and a ton of accessories which render the point of getting a miniature system moot, but I digress. We all have things we don't need and occasionally desire more still.

Per the remarks that the TurboGrafx isn't well known and lacking an audience to market to, I disagree to an extent. It was heavily advertised in television and print which I saw a good deal of as a kid, the barrier was distribution and ultimately, availability for most people. We're also hitting a point in bygone video game nostalgia where the mouth breathing plebs are hungry for the exotic and novel, which could explain why Atari Jaguars are commanding $200+ and such now.
    Tut Tut, Mr. Bratwurst. So quick to disparage the all-consuming masses but so eager to lap at the trough when your choice flavor of slurry oozes forth.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it makes sense to offer Japanese releases when the Western library was a little lacking, but when some are text-heavy, they may as well not even be there. It seems like they took the language barrier into account for Japanese players, as every text-heavy English release seems to also be available in Japanese, but it doesn't work the other way around. What the heck is the average Westerner going to do with Japanese Snatcher? It's stranger yet because only the Japanese release is getting Tokimeki Memorial, which is replaced with Salamander for Westerners, so why wasn't Snatcher replaced with some other English-friendly Japanese release too?

The price is a bit on the high side too. If they actually localized all the Japanese releases, that would make it more than worth it, but as it stands, the price point adds insult to injury when Westerners have to fumble through text they can't read.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    Tut Tut, Mr. Bratwurst. So quick to disparage the all-consuming masses but so eager to lap at the trough when your choice flavor of slurry oozes forth.
    How much you spend on AES games this year? (it is more than what I have spent)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much you spend on AES games this year? (it is more than what I have spent)
    Any given Neo Geo game is worth about a dozen TurboGrafx titles. Just add up the megs!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cost: $100
    Amazon link: https://amazon.com/TurboGrafx-16-min...dp/B07QD9GQ9J/

I am interested in this mini console precisely because I am burnt out on all of the same-old same-old compilation releases from Atari, Nintendo, SEGA, AtGames, and friends. Yes, the games included with NES Classic / SNES Classic / PlayStation Mini / Atari Flashback / Genesis Mini are classics, but they have been re-released so many times for most of them that each new announcement of one is like, "Oh, another one? That's cool, but I already own those from the last P'N'P compilation or console compilation or Virtual Console downloads or PSN or the original carts / CD's."

So when a mini console shows up that's centered around either a computer or console that I didn't grow up with nor ever see in person but read about in the magazines back-in-the-day such that the computer or console seems like a myth or a legend to me, I am much more interested in getting one than something that I played at home or at a friend's house and probably still have the original games at my home. And as these games are "physical copies" by virtue of being enshrined in a physical console instead of being mere digital downloads, this not only has a higher resale value (though I rarely resell things that I buy), but it is also personally more valuable to me.

That's why I am more interested in the mini consoles designed around C64 games or Intellivision games or in this case, TurboGrafx-16 games, than I am in Atari or Nintendo or SEGA games. I guess that's part of what makes me unique: most people seem to want to replay what they played in their youth, but I kept those games and I want to play things that I haven't played before. Yes, there are games that I return to or replay, but most of my play time is spent on playing new-to-me old games and new games instead of replaying something for the nth time.

But if there were Atari Lynx, Jaguar, Nintendo Virtual Boy, Nintendo Arcade, SEGA Game Gear, Dreamcast, Saturn, or Vectrex minis or the like, those I would be very interested in buying.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Sega is the biggest offender when it comes to rereleasing titles. It started on the Genesis with their Sonic multicart release, then on saturn with Sega Ages, Sonic Jam, then Sega Smashpack, Sonic Anniversary Collection, the crappy 3rd party consoles, the Amazon thing, Sega Genesis Collection, now the Genesis mini.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I actually like that some classics are re-released frequently because it keeps them accessible and curbs the climbing of secondhand market prices of physical copies. For example, imagine how much more expensive Genesis carts of the first two Shining Force games would be if they weren't available a number of different ways in recent years. But I do wish for more diversity in what's being re-released.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie2B For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (07-16-2019)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

$100 is too steep, for a console with zero licensing fees just about. Will wait for the inevitable sale.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Nintendo's been re-releasing its classics for a long time too. On SNES there were makeovers like Super Mario All-Stars and multi-carts like Super Mario All-Stars plus Super Mario World. Then again, Nintendo didn't release games on GameTap while SEGA did release its games on GameTap in addition to the other aforementioned platforms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

In an era of constantly re-purchasing $1000+ smartphones that literally do the same crap that the model from six months previous did, a hundred bucks for a standalone licensed piece of gaming hardware with included games that have astronomical prices in their original physical form is nothing to whine about.

It's a hundred bucks..... in eight months. $12.50 a month. How much do you pay for your Internet service, streaming options, etc. every month?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

It's price is rather steep for a plug'n'play beside it lacking namco titles.Also,fans all ready have brought it up lacking legendary axe 1&2 but those games are by victor so i assume a license issue.Beside that fact it's not known who will be handling the emulation.Still if it ends up being open to hacks for adding more games then it's selection isn't a big deal to me.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 07-17-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

So... why is Power Golf on this thing? I can't imagine why they're wasting space on it with a game that will be the least played on the machine. There are so many other games worthy to take its place.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Probably just for genre variety. I'm guessing they figured they had to represent the sports genre at least a little.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    So... why is Power Golf on this thing? I can't imagine why they're wasting space on it with a game that will be the least played on the machine. There are so many other games worthy to take its place.
    Prolly just to boost the game count. You could easily fit all the turbo/pc engine hu card games on that thing easy