Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here comes the Terra Onion Mega SD!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default Here comes the Terra Onion Mega SD!

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/produ...cartridge.html

The ultimate accessory for Genesis/Mega Drive. Complete FPGA recreation of the entire Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware into a plug and play Cartridge

World’s First Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator

• Plays both ISOS (bin+cue) and ROMS

• RAM based cartridge for instant boot

• Compatible with all original and region free patched Mega-CD / Sega CD bios

• Supports Megadrive / Genesis, Sega CD / Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)

Fully Supports original Megadrive and Genesis hardware (Nomad included)

• Fully compatible with Analogue Mega Sg!

• Easy to use interface for navigating your collection with screenshots, genre, year and description

• Save State support for Megadrive and Genesis Cartridge games (8 slots)

• Built in cheat engine for Megadrive and Genesis cartridge games

• Emulates all different Genesis / Mega Drive / Master System / 32x cartridge mappers.

• Stores all different Genesis / Mega Drive / Master System / 32x cartridge saves into microsd card.

• Per game Mega-CD / Sega CD Backup RAM and Cartridge RAM stored into microsd card

• Master System FM Core

• In-Game menu for fast reboot and swapping games (Genesis / Megadrive and Mega-CD / Sega CD)

Enhanced Mega Drive games with CD audio and Mega-CD / Sega CD hardware (MSU1 like)

• 400GB Exfat microsd supported

NOTICE : This item starts shipping first week of August 2019 by strict purchase order, shipping times will depend on sales volumes
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg2600 For This Useful Post:

Wraith Storm (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This looks absolutely amazing! I had no idea this was in development but something that I hoped would eventually be made.

Its pretty expensive but if it works as good as an Everdrive and is as actively developed for, it will be hard for me to pass up.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This looks really impressive but at about $350 Canadian dollars I would pass.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

350 buys a lot of Genesis carts

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You'd think this is the sort of thing that would compel krikzz to innovate beyond his current product lineup of Everdrive cartridges, but the Super SD System 3 didn't seem to inspire him to do any different, either.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

On the price, it's the same as the Turbo CD solution they sell, the SSD3. In both cases, you're getting (hardwise-wise) a well made product CIB, and you're not having to buy (or keep) your old systems if need be. Good luck finding a Turbo CD add-on working for under 150, or a Sega CD under 90-100.

Krikzz at this point is simply "updating" based on the availability of new chips. For instance, he just announced a new N8 (NES) cart, with a laundry list of new features that 98% of users won't use or notice. These are minor upgrades, albeit at times necessary for him because prior chips go out of print. Terra Onion spent 2.5 years (behind closed doors) developing this product. It's a big time investment of time and effort that I'm not sure Krikzz has at the moment. His upgrades are relatively easy. He increases the power of the device, and that allows for new features he's already tested.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    On the price, it's the same as the Turbo CD solution they sell, the SSD3. In both cases, you're getting (hardwise-wise) a well made product CIB, and you're not having to buy (or keep) your old systems if need be. Good luck finding a Turbo CD add-on working for under 150, or a Sega CD under 90-100.
    So to save $100 you'd spend $350? Sure there's a lot of other functions but other flash carts can do those too for much cheaper, like work as a backup RAM cart or use Game Genie codes or save states. It really depends on if you need all those features.

A part of me is curious with how compatible it would be with Pier Solar. That game had an optional enhanced CD soundtrack that was meant to be played in the Sega CD while the actual game would be played in the Genesis cart slot. Could the game and enhanced soundtrack be played on this together like with original copies? I don't know if Pier Solar is even compatible with flash carts yet, not that it really matters as enhanced versions are available on other platforms instead.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

As a lifelong Sega fan I should be really excited over this but..... eh. The price just makes me question who will be actually buying this to play (versus YouTube talking heads and shelf queens). Regular flash carts are extremely cheap nowadays so the main point behind this is the CD stuff. SCD's have no copy protection plus with this you're still saddled with whatever video/audio output you're getting from your Genesis console, so you're basically paying $250+ for the convenience of fast load times and not swapping out discs.

The CD library isn't like the Duo library either, there's not dozens and dozens of must-have titles. I'd say that most people that actually own the system don't get into but maybe 15-20 games, tops.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Just watched a review video.. and yeah it looks amazing.
    It plays sega cd games.. without a sega cd system.. and some games will have shorter load times?!?
    Its expensive but it looks to be an amazing flash cart
    i want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i569jGYkDiU

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Krikzz is supposed to be upgrading his Mega Everdrive at some point in the near future, and has talked about having CD functionality on it. We shall see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Just watched a review video.. and yeah it looks amazing.
    It plays sega cd games.. without a sega cd system.. and some games will have shorter load times?!?
    Its expensive but it looks to be an amazing flash cart
    i want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i569jGYkDiU
    Id watch that review as well by modern vintage gamer.I'm so tempted into buying one mostly for having a backup for playing sega-cd games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    So to save $100 you'd spend $350? Sure there's a lot of other functions but other flash carts can do those too for much cheaper, like work as a backup RAM cart or use Game Genie codes or save states. It really depends on if you need all those features.
    You're saving $100 on a CD drive and $50-75 for a 32X adapter, plus the cost of Master System or powerbase converter to play your SMS games. You also get a complete solution with no moving parts to break, lasers to adjust, or gears to wear down. Also two fewer things that you need to stack onto your Genesis and plug into the wall. Plus faster loading times, cheats, and save states. Also compatibility with the Nomad.

Flash carts are commonly priced at around $100-150, and ODEs for the Saturn and Dreamcast sell for $150-200. The Mega SD price is in-line for a combo unit that does everything. I just bought an SSDS3 (similar solution for the PCE, $400 CAN) and it's worth every penny.

Their $600 NeoGeo SD flash cart, on the other hand, is a total ripoff.
    Last edited by jperryss; 06-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Another review. Per one of the US team members, EEPROM Genesis saves worth without patches. They are developing a passive adapter to plug the cart into the side expansion port. That would enable 32X CD support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    You're saving $100 on a CD drive and $50-75 for a 32X adapter....
    Actually you'll still need a 32X adapter to play 32X games, I'm going by the info in the first post.

• Supports Megadrive / Genesis, Sega CD / Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)
    This goes more towards what I mentioned with other flash carts being capable of most of those features already. Playing SMS and 32X games is something I've seen other flash carts advertise, and like you mentioned they were usually around the $100-$150 range. The additional cost of this one is just for new Sega CD game support. That's the main thing to consider about the cost, comparing this to other flash carts without the Sega CD support.

It's neat that it's compatible with the Nomad but I don't think I'd use it with the Nomad even if I had this flash cart. Flash carts are powered through the cart slot and use more power than standard game cartridges, with a Nomad you'll be draining the batteries quicker than with standard games. If I was just using the Nomad at home with an AC adapter I'd rather just be playing on an actual Genesis with a TV instead of that tiny screen, the Nomad is a neat novelty above all else and I mostly used mine in the past to test out games before buying them from classified ads, meeting up in public. This would be better advertised for the Genesis 3 console as it lacks the expansion slot for a Sega CD, assuming it's compatible.

I'm not sure what the cost of the Powebase Converter is these days, when I had a spare one I think I sold it for $10 as that was the going rate at the time. I already have a Sega CD, admittedly I'll have to check if it's still working properly as it's been years since I last used it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I have a Sega CD 2 that is very finnicky. It seems like its missing a piece on the bottom so its hard to get a solid connection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I have a Sega CD 2 that is very finnicky. It seems like its missing a piece on the bottom so its hard to get a solid connection
    The metal plate? That does somewhat help hold it in place but it can still work without it.

You've probably already done this but did you clean the connector between the Genesis console and the connector of the Sega CD? It's like having to clean game cartridges and the game cartridge slots of consoles. It's easy to overlook cleaning these too. I also clean the connectors on memory cards for other systems too.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Ive had quite a few sega cd systems over the years.. and almost all of them had issues.
    Some model sega cd systems will play burned discs, and some will not.
    Not having to mess around with the hardware is a big plus for me

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

To me, moving parts are the #1 enemy of any game console, classic or otherwise. Early CD-based consoles/add-ons like the Sega CD and Sony PlayStation were notorious for optical drive issues when new, and they haven't gotten any better with age. Similarly, consoles equipped with hard disk drives are subject to their failure issues; I had an original XBox suffer a RRoD after its hard drive (keyed to the hardware, no less!) started making nasty clicking noises. Anything which eliminates one or more moving parts is generally something I see as being a benefit to a console's longevity chances.
    -Adam

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    To me, moving parts are the #1 enemy of any game console, classic or otherwise. Early CD-based consoles/add-ons like the Sega CD and Sony PlayStation were notorious for optical drive issues when new, and they haven't gotten any better with age. Similarly, consoles equipped with hard disk drives are subject to their failure issues; I had an original XBox suffer a RRoD after its hard drive (keyed to the hardware, no less!) started making nasty clicking noises. Anything which eliminates one or more moving parts is generally something I see as being a benefit to a console's longevity chances.
    -Adam
    For me that just increases the appeal of playing on an older console. It is more of an achievement to get an archaic and problematic console to work 100% with as few replacement parts as possible. Nothing beats authenticity to me. But I do understand not everyone has time for that and they just want to play the games

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The Sega CD model 1 is notoriously difficult. I bought one years ago and I took it apart to try and get it to work. I couldnt do it. But there is a vast wealth of knowledge on forums like Sega-16 and if youre handy enough you can get anything to work.