Thread: Strategy / Tactical RPG's Which are E or E-10+ Rated

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Strategy / Tactical RPG's Which are E or E-10+ Rated

There aren't very many games for PC which have gameplay like Ogre Tactics, Disgaea, and Final Fantasy Tactics but I've been looking for them. Yet even on consoles where there are more strategy RPG's, there are not very many which were given E or E-10+. Therefore I turn to you, the knowledgeable RR community.

1) What are some tactical RPG's for PC which have gameplay and isometric perspectives like these games? (i.e. square-grid-based, height-dependent for attacks, which direction you are facing for defense, turn-based games where you level up your characters, upgrade their items, and learn skills to progress through a single-player story)

2) What are some comedic games of this genre?

3) What are some games of this genre that are E or E-10+?

4) What is the difference between tactical and strategic RPG's? Are there further difference in these definitions between PC and consoles?

Thank you for any help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

1) Fallout Tactics, X-Com, arguably Battle for Westnoth

2) Just about anything by NIS not named Soul Nomad. They go back and forth between silly and serious in tone, with serious usually becoming dominant in the late-game, though the over-the-top attacks and absurd underlying premise usually keep things from getting too grim. Then there's (presumably) unintentional examples like Vandal Hearts. There's so many blood geysers you'd think every battle would end in somebody belting out "FATALITY!"

3) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance got a E somehow, A2 got E-10+. Tossing out permadeath (mostly) and the crazy Judge penalty cards probably helped.

4) There's loads of arguing over this one. I personally call them SRPGs, but I also include more real-time ones like Ogre Battle. The "tactical" bit didn't really enter the lexicon until Final Fantasy Tactics, and just about every game in the genre felt the need to cram the word "Tactics" in their title. This one is still very much YMMV, though.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

From my experience, there's zero difference between tactical RPGs and strategy RPGs. Personally, I say "strategy RPG" and felt like pretty much everyone else did back in the day. It wasn't until later on that I started noticing a significant number of people saying "tactical RPG".

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Aidyn Chronicles and Quest 64 are tactical RPGs.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

? I've played Quest 64 to completion, and it's definitely a traditional RPG and not a strategy/tactical RPG in any form. From what I've heard about Aidyn Chronicles, it's the same (and Teen-rated to boot).

As far as the N64 library goes, the only games I would regard as strategy/tactical RPGs are Ogre Battle 64 and Super Robot Taisen 64. But the former is Teen-rated, and the latter is in Japanese.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I would think that the terms 'strategy' and 'tactical' refer to basically the same type of game