Thread: Multicarts - Recent Experiences

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Multicarts - Recent Experiences

So I decided it would be better to make one all-purpose Multicart topic than to make a new one for each one I find. Right now I have six of the things--three for NES, two for SNES, and one for the Genesis.

I unfortunately have had a bad experience recently.

The first two such carts I ever owned--one which cobbled together a bunch of Mega Man games and rom hacks, and the other which was all four Dragon Warrior games--both went kaput. The Mega Man one went glitchy and now only some games will load (even then they usually glitch out). The Dragon Warrior one just plain doesn't work anymore.

I opened them both up and interestingly, they're actually Famicom PCBs but running through a converter. They also both seem to have the same date on them, so its possible both were from a bad batch. EDIT: Forgot to mention, the DW one outright had corrosion on it like something leaked out of one of the chips. I more recently picked up a third NES multicart--143 games in 1--which thankfully is just a single PCB.

Not that I'm sure the converter is the problem. On the Dragon Warrior one there was corrosion on one of the leads, and on the Mega Man one I see nothing whatsoever wrong with it. And yes I tried switching out the converters.

Thankfully, other carts I got around the same time --a 4x1 RPG cart for the SNES and a 196-in-1 Genesis cart--both work fine.

While I still like these things for the most part (especially as something I can let the niece and nephew borrow or play without fear), that two went bad and don't work kinda bums me out. I was just about to try out Rockman 4 Minus Infinity....

Also, I should quickly review some more I've gotten to try lately:

Super Games 143-in-1 for the NES--single PCB, and every game on it is an English-language version, which means it does have fan translations (as it features Adventure Island 4, Earthbound, Sweet Home, all three Final Fantasies, and Time Diver Eon Man... and also Palcom's Parodius, which runs fine but I can't see the power-up bar on my CRT). The Earthbound on this cart is the original Prototype, no "Zero" or "Beginnings" or "40th Anniversary." Yes, there is a save battery, but it can only save for one game at a time--if you save on one game you absolutely CAN NOT load up another game that uses saves unless you're willing to start fresh on the game you were playing. I personally do not mind this too much but it does make me want to get a stand-alone Earthbound NES cart.

Only one oddity: This cart has a "Double Dragon IV." I think this is just Renegade with a different title screen, but its the only such game on this cart. The rest are either official releases, fan translations, or in one case a finished-but-never-released prototype.

(BTW Earthbound Beginnings... why did I never play this game before? It is joy, it is life. If you say anything bad about it, you're working for Giegue)

Super 110-in-1 for the SNES--this also seems to be for RPG fans as its menu front-loads a lot of popular ones (although Chrono Trigger is way in the back for some reason), though it also has stuff like Contra III and Sunset Riders. With SNES games usually each individual game can hold saves and this seems to be no exception. Of note, its copy of Earthbound is NOT the one with remapped controls, so it plays like a real cart. I think every game on this is an English-language version, but they all seem to be games that were officially released.

Also... I don't know if the sound sounding muffled in Ogre Battle is just this cart or if the SNES version always sounded like that. I do think I prefer the PS1 version, which is one of the few times I would prefer an updated port over an original. Not just for the sound but also because the PS1 lets you see a flat view of the map if you need to.

..... Well, I hope these carts won't go bad on me in the future.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 06-27-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have friends who get these all the time, but I avoid them all like the plague.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

My friend lent me a Korean multicart with a bunch of Famicom games for thr Game Boy Advance. It was 168 in 1 i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I have friends who get these all the time, but I avoid them all like the plague.
    Why?

Is it just not wanting to support piracy, afraid of inferior products, or what?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Why?

Is it just not wanting to support piracy, afraid of inferior products, or what?
    Once the Everdrives of the world came about, I found them totally pointless.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Ah, that's understandible.

I'd like to get an Everdrive, tho one issue I do have is that those are sometimes as expensive as certain rare games ($80). Since lately I like to show games to my niece and nephew (9 and 5, respectively) I'd want to bring a game I wouldn't be too upset if it got damaged.

Still, an Everdrive would allow me to make my own personal Adventures of Lolo compilation... complete with a box of Excedrin.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I dont get why they stopped making Lolo. They couldve kept going on the SNES and arguably onto the PS1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I dont get why they stopped making Lolo. They couldve kept going on the SNES and arguably onto the PS1
    I think HAL just plain ran out of ideas in all honesty. I mean it can't be easy coming up with hundreds of new puzzles each game.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I tended to pick up multicarts when I found them cheap, years ago and mostly vintage ones rather than new modern ones. I mostly found them to be interesting novelties. I tend to avoid any of the new ones now because I don't trust the quality of them, and being modern they don't have the same appeal to me as vintage ones. I guess if I came across any in person for cheap I'll still buy them, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

I also like the Lolo games, I luckily own the 3 releases that came out in North America. Very fun puzzle games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Its funny, but I actually considered starting a Lolo thread but didn't think I'd have enough to say. I kinda want to revisit the first and then hit up the second.

Interesting note is that apparently the Japanese versions have different puzzles than the US ones (JApan only got Lolo 2 and 3 because our Lolo 1 was basically an introductory game for westerners and consisted of recycled content Japan would've already seen). There's also at least one (probably two) Lolo/Eggerland games unique to the Famicom Disk System, one of which is very rare due to being basically a download-only title... well, not the way we understand that term today (you wrote it to a disk at a store kiosk).

So depending on if you count JP Lolo 2 and 3 as different games or not, there's either five or seven games on the NES alone. That's why I would like the whole series to be released on one compilation cart.

Hey.... do FDS roms work if you use something like the Everdrive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Hey.... do FDS roms work if you use something like the Everdrive?
    Yuppers