Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Dreamcast (and its relevance in 2019)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default the Dreamcast (and its relevance in 2019)

How many people are still playing it? I just bought an S video cable after I was very impressed with the one I bought for my N64/SNES/GameCube. Was blown away by the quality and didnt see any difference from RGB.

I dont bother with VGA because there is too much switching between resolutions for some games and I think S looks good enough.

I cant say it is my favorite system of all time because it just doesnt have the amount of games but some of my favorites are on the system.

Crazy Taxi
    Sonic Adventure
    Sega Marine Fishing
    Shenmue
    Tony Hawk 1 and 2
    Seaman
    Hydro Thunder

A lot of games that came out for PS1, N64 and DC look the best on the Dreamcast.

Id say though that Crazy Taxi is my favorite DC game even if its just an arcade port. So simple and short yet I can put a ton of hours into it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Also a couple others I forgot to mention

Metropolis Street Racer
    V Rally
    Suzuki Alstare
    Speed Devils

DC had some great driving/racing games

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I really need to set aside some time for my DC at some point. I haven't played it in ages, yet I have a decent stack of games and my system out of my storage bins. I liked Sonic Adventure, Test Drive 6, Soul Reaver, MDK2, Quake 3, Jet Grind Radio, Sega Bass Fishing...I have to pop them back in at some point soon.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

S-Video is fine on a CRT. The controller remains one of the poorest designed I've ever used. It's really terrible for racing games and FPS.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    S-Video is fine on a CRT. The controller remains one of the poorest designed I've ever used. It's really terrible for racing games and FPS.
    I find FPS to be hard to play in general without a second analog stick

I shove an S up into my Framemeister and it looks greats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Haven't played my DC in years, but it used to be the go-to for multi-player gaming. Played the crap outta VirtuaTennis VirtuaAthlete, South Park Chef's Luv Shack.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't remember the last time I played my Dreamcast. I know between 2006 and the present, I haven't beaten any Dreamcast games, so it's been very long since I've put in any serious time into any Dreamcast game. Not really since around when I first got it in the early '00s. My Dreamcast was mostly used as a means to play Genesis games prior to owning a Genesis. (Yes, the Smack Pack emulation was lousy, but it was better than nothing.) The Dreamcast's offerings otherwise never excited me much. I've always regarded it as overrated by the retro gaming community and have never understood its cult status. But I'm sure some would say the same about the Vita and other systems I like, so it's all relative.

I probably should bust out my Dreamcast sometime, though. I have a fair number of games I've never even tried. I'd go hunting while visiting family and would leave what I bought with my mom, but I only have one Dreamcast and it's always been with me. Now that my collection is reunited, I should give those games a spin. I even had found a dirt cheap copy of Mars Matrix.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I haven't played my DC in a while, but I tend to agree with many retrogamers that the DC got dealt a bad lot in life... Sega did everything right but there was no competing with the PS2. I remember playing a lot of Crazy Taxi on mine, that game's just as fun almost 20 years after release as it was in 2000. Shenmue, there's an ahead of its time concept.

I feel like many of the Dreamcast games look better than the first-gen PS2 games, it wasn't till '02 or so that the PS2 games started looking better. Of course, had the Dreamcast not been discontinued and competed head on with the PS2, the PS2 graphics would have caught up anyway. PS2 was a slightly more powerful system but it took a few years for developers to milk its maximum potential out.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I think Sony built a rabid fanbase with the PS1. Lets face it, at that time, if you werent a Nintendo fanboy or a PC gamer, you were hooked on Sony. Sega was niche at that point. And it didnt help that the Dreamcast couldnt play DVDs which were becoming popular

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The Dreamcast basically stopped getting releases once the Xbox and GameCube came out and Sega was releasing games on the GameBoy Advance 6 months leading up to it. Very short lived console. Sega's last hurrah

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Haven't played my DC in years, but it used to be the go-to for multi-player gaming. Played the crap outta VirtuaTennis VirtuaAthlete, South Park Chef's Luv Shack.
    Ironically the multi-player has gotten some life back lately, check out www.dreamcastlive.net

SEGA made some big missteps too with the console. They had poor 3rd party support, and frankly the release suffered from a lack of promotion as SEGA's budget was dwarfed by Nintendo, Sony, or eventually Microsoft could spend. Many of the non-SEGA arcade hits would be ported, albeit inferior, on N64 and PS1. It gave those systems extended life, for most gamers, who couldn't afford another new system. With PS2 and Dolphin on the way, most people simple skipped the DC. However, it still sold like gangbusters initially. They ran out of consoles at launch in Japan, and for the US launch, infamously shipped blank game discs. The system had no protection against burning CD's, which for sure ate into what they were selling.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I set mine up from time to time if I'm in the mood for Crazy Taxi. I only have a handful of games for it and that's probably the best one. Though I did set it up just the other day because my 3 year old wanted to play the Looney Tunes racing game...it wasn't played for long though. I almost set it up a couple weeks ago when the Blues were in the Playoffs because my oldest wanted to play a Hockey Game and the only one I have is for Dreamcast, but we never did for some reason.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I think the title of this thread is a bit funny. You could argue that the Dreamcast didn't have any relevance back in 1999 either. The only reason it sold as well as it did here was because the Gamecube and PS2 weren't out yet.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I just found out someone made a Kickstarter for redesigned controllers

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2550691

I can definitely see why people wouldnt like the original controller however I am always very skeptical of the quality of 3rd party hardware.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Retro Fighters have a fairly good reputation with their hardware. It's not crap like you would get back in the day from Mad Catz or Interact. I've been interested in their project, but the only way I'd buy one is if the Analog stick finally works decently on racing games. I'm not sure if it will.

Also, DC was pretty relevant in 1999. It actually sold well for awhile at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I used to see a lot of Dreamcast stuff at thrift stores around 2005 or so but never bought any of it because it wasn't retro enough at the time so it didn't really interest me. I eventually bought a lot a few years ago but still regret not buying the stuff when it was reasonably cheap and more abundant.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I used to see a lot of Dreamcast stuff at thrift stores around 2005 or so but never bought any of it because it wasn't retro enough at the time so it didn't really interest me. I eventually bought a lot a few years ago but still regret not buying the stuff when it was reasonably cheap and more abundant.
    Well it hasn't gotten out of hand, though obviously not as common as Xbox or PS2. Gamecube stuff has really shot up in price as that age group gets older.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well it hasn't gotten out of hand, though obviously not as common as Xbox or PS2. Gamecube stuff has really shot up in price as that age group gets older.
    Yeah, it's definitely more a lack of finding anything now more than cost...I can't remember the last time I've seen any Dreamcast anything at a thrift store. Game stores usually have a single shelf of games but cost is usually a premium there... like you said, usually not outrageous but still more than I care to spend.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Dreamcast is home to some of the best fighting games ever, thus it will always be relevant.

Also, proud owner of the DC version of Resident Evil 2... which I need to replay.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Crazy Taxi is def my favourite game of any console. Metropolis Street racer is excellent too. I haven't played my DC for about a year but will get myself sorted out soon